When will Cav abandon? (possible spoiler?)

RoadPainter
RoadPainter Posts: 375
edited July 2016 in Pro race
With the Olympics in mind & his (arguably unexpected) success so far, I reckon Cav will abandon the Tour on morning of Sunday 17th, or the 2nd rest day.

Anyone think he will go all the way to Paris?

Comments

• Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Paris, frankly. He's abandoned the Tour for the track before and it didn't go terribly well, and I suspect that might be enough to tip the emotional balance - especially now that he's deep in the maelstrom of the tour and picking up stages.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    I'm expecting Cav to be in Paris too.

You know he won't be the first person to ride an Olympics after the tour, right? It's no real biggie for someone like Cav.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • Sun Dodger
    Sun Dodger Posts: 393
    Given where he is now, I can't see him pulling out anytime soon. Winning a Tour jersey, then an Olympic medal seems like a good challenge...
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    I don't think he will pull out, i for one will like to see him in Paris and win. Watching YouTube videos of him winning on the Champs-Élysées is so good. The side camera which follows the riders and you just see him fly past, In that cavendish way head over the bars teeth clenched.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    It will depend on how he's climbing. For all of the talk about track training helping his sprinting it probably won't have helped his climbing. If he struggles more than usual in the Pyrenees I can't see him bothering with the Alps.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:
    It will depend on how he's climbing. For all of the talk about track training helping his sprinting it probably won't have helped his climbing. If he struggles more than usual in the Pyrenees I can't see him bothering with the Alps.

Could help Bernie's Lanterne ambitions though.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    RichN95 wrote:

Could help Bernie's Lanterne ambitions though.

Yeah, about time Cavendish rode for Bernie, the selfish sod...
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Dav1d1 wrote:
    I don't think he will pull out, i for one will like to see him in Paris and win. Watching YouTube videos of him winning on the Champs-Élysées is so good. The side camera which follows the riders and you just see him fly past, In that cavendish way head over the bars teeth clenched.
    Like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFkjPgccHto

Probably my all time favourite Cavendish win :D:D:D

I really, really hope he stays on. Final stage in Paris beats the 'lympics every time. For many sports the Olympics is a distraction and hugely overrated.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    Simon E wrote:
    Like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFkjP

Probably my all time favourite Cavendish win :D:D:D

I really, really hope he stays on. Final stage in Paris beats the 'lympics every time. For many sports the Olympics is a distraction and hugely overrated.

Yes my favourite closely followed by his win with the world champs jersey on
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    That's got me thinking about my favourite Cav TDF wins.

In chronological order:

Aubenas 2009
    Paris 2009
    Paris 2010
    Paris 2011 (Green jersey)
    Brive 2012
    Paris 2012 (WC jersey)
    St Amand Montrond 2013 (Echelons)
    Utah Beach 2016
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Favourite Cav wins? Without bothering to check when they were, my top three would probably be Milan San Remo (first time I found an illegal stream to watch a bike race - first time I realised I was falling for the sport), the Worlds (with my toddler screaming alongside me), and that one in 2012 where (iirc) Nicolas Roche had time to do a double take, give up, and still sprint for second. The Champs ones have been good because of the side-on camera, plus the thrill of seeing the yellow jersey lead out the Norwegian, lead out the World, and that one in 2013 where he had to work harder to get into the break of 14 than to win the stage were good, but two of the ones above were brilliant purely because nobody else could have done that.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    Was just wondering this myself. Are there many stages where Cav is unlikely to get points whilst Sagan will be up there? If he's got a realistic chance of green plus another Champs stage I think he'll stay until the end but if he's out of contention between the Pyrenees and Alps he'll probably head home. It's obviously a bit different to 2012 as he needs to get track sharpness.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Hope he abandons asap. Although, if only he didn't attempt interviews it would help a lot. What he does on the bike nowadays is impressive, it's as soon as he gets off and goes in front of a camera that ruins it.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I think he will try to go to Paris....if track has not killed his ability to get over the big lumps (that leg speed might have come at a cost). But hey it's Cav, so clearly he's finished and will never win anything again!

As an aside...I can't recall seeing Cav so skinny.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • He's 2kg heavier than last year, according to Friebe. Muscle mass - all the gym work he's been doing with BC
  • He's 2kg heavier than last year, according to Friebe. Muscle mass - all the gym work he's been doing with BC
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    I think that no matter what time he leaves the Tour, he won't win an Olympic medal.

I hope and pray that he will, but I just can;t see it, too much competition.
  • I think that no matter what time he leaves the Tour, he won't win an Olympic medal.

Do all TP squad riders get a medal or just the 4 who ride the medal race? He might sneak one this way.
  • Daz555 wrote:
    As an aside...I can't recall seeing Cav so skinny.

I thought that too.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    I think that no matter what time he leaves the Tour, he won't win an Olympic medal.

Surely with the way he's riding he has a good a chance as anyone in the omnium, where top road sprinters always do well.
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    I've started to wonder would he take another Green jersey over the Olympic medal this year?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    I've started to wonder would he take another Green jersey over the Olympic medal this year?

I don't think the green jersey is reachable, Sagan will just pick up points everywhere.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    He's already got a green jersey. He's not going to get another crack at the Olympics.
    Prospect of revenge on the Champs might keep him going though, so he may well turn up in Rio knackered.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138

My estimate is about the feed zone today he will get off and retire.
    I think the Green Jersey they gave him on stage 6 was a surprise, he didn't expect and so he will honour that Jersey in today's presentation and retire further down the course.
    His obligation to his sponsor is full filled and he can concentrate with training with Wiggins etc.
    Rio is only a month away and I can't see him trying to get acclimatised in less time. :?:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I hope we see him in Paris. The Tour is more important than the Olympics in any case.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    So there's another 4 potential sprint stages before the second rest day? I would have thought he'd try for them. But then if he's won three of those and is in green, he'd have to go on to Paris. Otherwise he misses the Alps.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Don't forget, stage 20 is quite a tough stage (even if Ramaz has been taken out), a big ask for any of the sprinters to have a good day the next day in Paris.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    The tour is way bigger than the Olympics all that is true, however, for full time trackies the Olympics is what it is ALL about and they get scant chances to compete. There's no doubt that Cav has dropped in and taken a slot, and absolutely deservedly so, and I really think he will want to absolutely honour and justify that privilige. I genuinely can't see him hanging on in the tour and hoping for the best in Rio. He will respect BC, his country (he is very patriotic) and whomever he has displaced too much I think. I also assume there has been some long standing agreement between Dimension Data and BC? Surely this will be that he has to meet certain preparation criteria for the games.
    If he really thought the Tour was head and shoulders above everything else then he wouldn't have done all he has done to gain selection.
    As for the green jersey? Its Sagans.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    There's absolutley no chance he'll go on to Paris. Might even climb off today. he's done verything there is to do in cycling, bar an Olymopic medal and that's been his only target all year. I expect him to get gold too.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    dodgy wrote:
    Don't forget, stage 20 is quite a tough stage (even if Ramaz has been taken out), a big ask for any of the sprinters to have a good day the next day in Paris.

All the stages after the second rest are b'stards, including the TT.