TdF 2016 stage 6 **spoilers**

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,535
    Bo Duke wrote:
    They're just going though the motions, whats the point of day after day of long stages... the lads go just fast enough not to compromise positions or strategy. Would the race be worse off if the stages were reduced to 150/160k?

Yes, it's an endurance event.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Ridgerider wrote:
    Is anyone else worried that the world's most innovative internet race thread format is very close to descending into a Countryfile/Coast/Rick Stein spends a weekend in... pastiche?

On the contrary, I think it demonstrates what a gloriously eccentric and eclectic bunch we are!

I know, I know, I know. I just hope it stays more Jack Hargreaves than John Craven!
    Half man, Half bike
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,655
    Got to test the tank, not just the engine.
  • ridgerider
    All we need is a few gusts of wind, then it'll be CARNAGE out there...
    Half man, Half bike
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    gsk82 wrote:
    Bo Duke wrote:
    They're just going though the motions, whats the point of day after day of long stages... the lads go just fast enough not to compromise positions or strategy. Would the race be worse off if the stages were reduced to 150/160k?

If they had shorter stages the riders would be complaining about long transfers.

And if they had shorter legs they'd be complaining about long seat tubes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ridgerider
    And I have just won ANOTHER Rabobank jersey on ebay...

All paid for by my Southern Railway 'Delay/Repay' refunds!
    Half man, Half bike
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Ridgerider wrote:
    And I have just won ANOTHER Rabobank jersey on ebay...

All paid for by my Southern Railway 'Delay/Repay' refunds!

How many do you have?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    gsk82 wrote:
    Bo Duke wrote:

If they had shorter stages the riders would be complaining about long transfers.

I like the fact that they are riding something more like a tour of France rather than just a collection of races primed for interesting TV. Not that I'm daft enough to watch it all, of course.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Bo Duke wrote:

Agreed but thats also the reason why riders said they were driven towards EPO etc.. saying it was unreasonably gruelling and their bodies simply couldn't recover in time. It's a balance I guess.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • above_the_cows
    Bloody hell my neighbour just dropped off some leftover Eid cakes and biscuits. The carrot cake is wicked. I should go out for a ride after that.
  • effillo
    effillo Posts: 257
    Cav changing shoes on the bike. Impressive skill, probably not something I will be trying out myself though.
  • ridgerider
    Just the two, but the other one is too large, flaps a bit in the wind and is not a good look on the bike (nod to FF there...)

So...for sale, an AGU xl 2010 Rabobank s/s jersey, only worn 2 or 3 times when no-one was looking...
    Half man, Half bike
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,535
    Bo Duke wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Bo Duke wrote:

Agreed but thats also the reason why riders said they were driven towards EPO etc.. saying it was unreasonably gruelling and their bodies simply couldn't recover in time. It's a balance I guess.

Who was it that said, it never gets easier you just get faster? It's always going to hurt. If they took pain numbing PEDs then I'd be more sympathetic.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    just as an aside whilst we await the inevitable sprint finish, I bumped into Team Sky's lead physio in my local Waitrose yesterday. slightly surprised to see him here to be honest, maybe they are on a rota and he's only heading out for second half
  • above_the_cows
    Playing chess on top of a rock with a couple of bikes is no boar man. Jog on chess players. Jog on.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,655
    Bo Duke wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Bo Duke wrote:

So why do 100m sprinters bother?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Playing chess on top of a rock with a couple of bikes is no boar man. Jog on chess players. Jog on.

To be fair, it was a pretty big and steep and pretty rock.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    They're going too slowly, I'm not going to get to see the finish before I have to leave for Stereophonics.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162

Chess Rocks! nuff said

x194185422104356170_4.jpg
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • above_the_cows

To be fair, it was a pretty big and steep and pretty rock.

It was, it just all seemed a little too staged. They even waved. It lacked the spontaneous joie de vivre of Boar Man.
  • above_the_cows
    josame wrote:

Chess Rocks! nuff said

Is that Didi? Blimey he's ubiquitous.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    Sure is 8)
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • ridgerider
    Crozza wrote:
    just as an aside whilst we await the inevitable sprint finish, I bumped into Team Sky's lead physio in my local Waitrose yesterday. slightly surprised to see him here to be honest, maybe they are on a rota and he's only heading out for second half

Presumably you knew it was the Sky physio as he was walking round the store behind 3 closely spaced sky personnel, with other sky personnel positioned by various shelves holding out the goods for him to drop into his basket?
    Half man, Half bike
  • above_the_cows
    Ha ha ha that horse charge was epic!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    josame wrote:

Chess Rocks! nuff said

Is that Didi? Blimey he's ubiquitous.

I've heard the most ubiquitous thing about Didi is his stench. The peloton are rumoured to be able to tell where he is from about 5km out.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Animal were ( not ) harmed during filming of TdF.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Ridgerider wrote:
    Crozza wrote:

Presumably you knew it was the Sky physio as he was walking round the store behind 3 closely spaced sky personnel, with other sky personnel positioned by various shelves holding out the goods for him to drop into his basket?

I expect they also jostled him into position in the quick check-out queue, despite him having more than ten items in his basket.
  • above_the_cows
    I've heard the most ubiquitous thing about Didi is his stench. The peloton are rumoured to be able to tell where he is from about 5km out.

Perhaps he should feature as the fromage on one of the spoiler threads.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    From Race Centre:
    NO ABANDON BEFORE STAGE 7: A FIRST AT THE 2016 TOUR?

Might all 198 riders make it to the finishing line in Montauban, there could be a first in the history of the Tour de France: all starters still in contention on stage 7.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    SPOILER ALERT

Keep off Twitter if you don't want to have to cauterize your optic nerves, there's a picture of Oleg Tinkov in the nuddy doing the rounds.