TdF Stage 2 *Contains spoilers*

Comments

• jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    Pross wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    It's a bit of a blow to the race that Porte and Contador lost time today. Would have helped spice things up if it had been Quintana and Froome.

Nah. Contador adds more to the race when he's on the back foot.
    Board man seems to think he won't make Paris

I'll be surprised if he does. The only way I can see it is if he's in with a shout of green. I suspect a deal has been done with British Cycling and he'll drop out when they hit the mountains.
    Assume you're talking about Cav?

Got confused with you quoting about Bertie :)
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    JSCL wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    It's a bit of a blow to the race that Porte and Contador lost time today. Would have helped spice things up if it had been Quintana and Froome.

Nah. Contador adds more to the race when he's on the back foot.
    Board man seems to think he won't make Paris

I'll be surprised if he does. The only way I can see it is if he's in with a shout of green. I suspect a deal has been done with British Cycling and he'll drop out when they hit the mountains.
    Assume you're talking about Cav?

Got confused with you quoting about Bertie :)

Ignore me, I saw Contador and read Cavendish - it's been a hard weekend. Wouldn't be surprised for Bertie to drop out in a day or two and hear that his arm fell off in the crash and all that time he spent hanging onto the medical car was because he was having it re-attached.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Pross wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Kirby calls minute & 6 when you can see the peloton 100 m back!

Got a bit of sympathy with him this time, the time gaps reported were to Cav and me confused for a bit.

I'd have had sympathy if we hadn't been looking at a shot of the peloton right behind Stuyven at the time. We'd also seen Cav getting dropped and when to time gap had started to open back up I'd assumed they weren't giving times to the front of the peloton. That said, concentrating on all that whilst commentating (and remembering to mention Alaphillipe every couple of minutes) might be difficult.

I was watching the to coverage with my 10 and 7 year old sons. We kept reading the data put on the screen, and my 10 year old was saying to me "How can the peloton be going so much faster and still not be catching him?" It was so obvious that either the time gap was wrong, or the speeds of the lead rider and the peloton weren't right.

Anyway, I did feel sorry for the guy, to have bust his balls and then be caught that close to the finish.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Pross wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Kirby calls minute & 6 when you can see the peloton 100 m back!

Got a bit of sympathy with him this time, the time gaps reported were to Cav and me confused for a bit.

I'd have had sympathy if we hadn't been looking at a shot of the peloton right behind Stuyven at the time. We'd also seen Cav getting dropped and when to time gap had started to open back up I'd assumed they weren't giving times to the front of the peloton. That said, concentrating on all that whilst commentating (and remembering to mention Alaphillipe every couple of minutes) might be difficult.

I was watching the to coverage with my 10 and 7 year old sons. We kept reading the data put on the screen, and my 10 year old was saying to me "How can the peloton be going so much faster and still not be catching him?" It was so obvious that either the time gap was wrong, or the speeds of the lead rider and the peloton weren't right.

Anyway, I did feel sorry for the guy, to have bust his balls and then be caught that close to the finish.

That does also depend on the gradient each of the riders is on.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    Just caught up.
    They climbed a small hill that left some GC men with a mountain of deficit.
    Poor Richie Porte and Contador: Kreuziger? A stage win and yellow, but at what a cost.
    The annual Sagan show gets into full swing with Little Sagan his closest rival.

Kirby? Words can no longer describe this hysterical, clueless clown's contribution, that is already ruining this Le Grand Boucle.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Haven't seen the stage. Wtf happened to Porte? Seemed in pretty decent shape coming in to the Tour.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Milton50 wrote:
    Haven't seen the stage. Wtf happened to Porte? Seemed in pretty decent shape coming in to the Tour.

punctured with 4.5km to go
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    A on board footage of contador crash re tweeted by Richard Moore! 2 riders landing on his legs!
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    TheBigBean wrote:

Nah. Contador adds more to the race when he's on his arse .
    fixed that for you :lol:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,655
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/07/ ... ton_412691

Sagan NOT happy with the way the peloton rides.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605

First week of the tour. Standard batshit riding.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Just caught up.
    They climbed a small hill that left some GC men with a mountain of deficit.
    Poor Richie Porte and Contador: Kreuziger? A stage win and yellow, but at what a cost.
    The annual Sagan show gets into full swing with Little Sagan his closest rival.

Kirby? Words can no longer describe this hysterical, clueless clown's contribution, that is already ruining this Le Grand Boucle.

I don't often watch eurosport, so i dont Know about Kirby, but i like Ned and Miller.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,535

It's quite a rant. What's upset him?

It is silly all the GC riders needing an entire train to keep them at the front.
  • rick_chasey
    It's the usual "in my day anyone stepping out of line would be beaten up with bike pumps" no?

I suspect there's a lot of truth in it but still.
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    So today pretty much wins Sagan the Green Jersey after 2 stages.

Nice win, plenty happening they do seem almost extra nervous this year.

I'm on site, so only catching up now.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Initial reports indicated that Contador crashed on the same right side that he injured during stage one. Then he said he’d suffered road rash from his knee to his shoulder. Contador explained that this time he had crashed on his left side. "No, it was on the other side, totally the opposite side. I can feel something in the knee, calf and left shoulder," he explained.

"We'll see how things evolve. I'm still standing but I can feel that both my legs were affected; I’m not pedalling as I like. Physically I’ve taken a hit."
    ++

Bertie lathers on the excuses in case they're needed later in the race....
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • rick_chasey
    Seen the crash videos?

Both crashes were not good for Contador.
  • Bo Duke wrote:
    I
    Bertie lathers on the excuses in case they're needed later in the race....

He's a humble man. I think he had downplayed the crashes and their effects massively. They will have an effect - it is not an excuse
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Every crash at speed is a horror, its amazing they can get up at all, I'd still be on the tarmac puffing and wheezing an hour later. Full credit to them all, they're very tough lads.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Seen the crash videos?

Both crashes were not good for Contador.

They looked really bad. I think he must be downplaying it.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,659
    Bo Duke wrote:
    Every crash at speed is a horror, its amazing they can get up at all, I'd still be on the tarmac puffing and wheezing an hour later. Full credit to them all, they're very tough lads.

^ This.

Having crashed badly - once - at over 50 km/h, I can guarantee if *anyone* had suggested I should just get back on the bike and keep riding I'd have murderised them to death with my bare bleeding hands... :D
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    I crashed once on my street going at about 25km/h and that was bad enough!

I used to ride MTB and obviously you crash quite a lot then (otherwise you're not pushing hard enough ;) ), and skiing too, but crashing on the road is a lot different as it's completely unforgiving - you lose all speed straight away. Felt like I'd been hit with a spade.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    The fact that Peter Sagan is now complaining that when he were a lad everyone respected each other in the peloton makes me feel incredibly old all of a sudden.
  • graeme_s-2
    Dupe
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Graeme_S wrote:
    The fact that Peter Sagan is now complaining that when he were a lad everyone respected each other in the peloton makes me feel incredibly old all of a sudden.

You'd think he was the old man of the peloton, not some 26 year old whippersnapper.

It's easy to see why all the GC teams are putting all their riders up the front, look at what's happened last year - Quintana losing nearly 2 minutes and possibly the Tour on stage 2. Everyone is stressed in the first few stages and combined with the threat of splits on these opening stages it's always going to be a crazy few days. Today will be the same.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • graeme_s-2
    At least having got this uphill finish out of the way we don't still have the entire peloton in a position where if they win the stage they'll get the yellow jersey too. That always seems like a recipe for disaster to me.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    François Thomazeau is magnificent in The Cycling Podcast for this stage; he doesn't quite buy the suggestion that Sagan thought he was sprinting for 3rd.
  • graeme_s-2
    Mechanism wrote:
    François Thomazeau is magnificent in The Cycling Podcast for this stage; he doesn't quite buy the suggestion that Sagan thought he was sprinting for 3rd.
    That made me laugh quite a bit. I think it's entirely possible that Sagan thought he was sprinting for 3rd and green jersey points whereas Kreuziger knew he was leading him out for the win. It's not like they could stop for a chat at 2km out.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    contadors nails anyone who believes otherwise knows nothing. FACT