TdF Stage 2 *Contains spoilers*

Comments

• pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    ITV4 coverage kicks off in 15 minutes, then it's....

5628152335_56ff1ef7ab_m.jpg

Millar Time! :)
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    edited July 2016
    :lol:
    smithy21 wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    What is the local horse and cheese please?

You are on the internet mate. There is this thing called Google where you can look stuff up.
    Oh dear, are you new? :wink:
  • Paul 8v
    20160702_221213.jpg
    Write the theme tune, sing the theme tune
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Cannondale just love terrible glasses don't they.
  • Paul 8v
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Cannondale just love terrible glasses don't they.
    That and the bowling ball helmets. Bloody awful
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    pottssteve wrote:
    I once met Mark Cavendish in a hotel car park in Verviers while he was competing in the Ster ZLM Toer - struck me as a very energetic kind of chap, and quite relaxed and pleasant.
    In another era you might have been outed as Motoman.

More seriously, I think Mark can come across (IMHO a little unfairly) as a 'marmite' person via the media, particularly when he's in work mode. Not saying he's a model interviewee 100% of the time, he's often prickly. However, a clubmate of mine and his son spoke to him when he joined alongside them at the start and rollout of his sportive in Chester last year. He was engaging and generous with his time. I still maintain that he would be the most interesting pro rider to chat with (and not just about cycle sport).
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Paul 8v wrote:
    20160702_221213.jpg

He really is very, very small isn't he.

Anyway is Haimar Zubeldia in this...?

He is number 69 (no laughing at the back). And yes that was what looked like a giant penis painted on the road.

OK it's Zubeldia spotting time...
    Correlation is not causation.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Today's unverified stat from Twitter

Andrew Hood Retweeted

CafeRoubaix ‏@CafeRoubaix · 47m47 minutes ago

Four active riders have led all three Grand Tours: Mark Cavendish, Alberto Contador, Vincenzo Nibali and Bradley Wiggins.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    BBC must be reading this page, they've added local cheese and cider to their commentary.
  • above_the_cows
    Talking about horses I got held up for 10 minutes behind a herd of these in the dunes today. Little b*ggers wouldn't move off the fietspad.

Bergen_aan_Zee_activiteiten_wilde_paarden.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,655
    Is it a headwind? Or are they just going slow?

Beind schedule.
  • above_the_cows
    I didn't imagine it!

Cmcf25BWIAASrYl.jpg

It isn't a man with a stuffed boar. Je suis désolé. Je ne suis impressionné.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    ITV4 need a geologist
    Is there a geologist in the house?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,535
    47.2km to go with gap of 5m40s. If I believed in the 1 min per 10 km I would say that the break is going to win. Still, not sure which team is going to bother chasing.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    TheBigBean wrote:
    47.2km to go with gap of 5m40s. If I believed in the 1 min per 10 km I would say that the break is going to win. Still, not sure which team is going to bother chasing.

This is what happens when Cheng Ji is not riding...
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    ITV4 need a geologist
    Is there a geologist in the house?

Assume you're talking about the sea cliffs?

It is similar to the geology of south Devon and Cornwall. It's the northern part of the Armorican Massif, mostly paleozoic but the northern tip by Cap de la Hague is precambrian - so older than 550 million years, and some of the oldest rocks in France.
  • Paul 8v
    I didn't imagine it!

Cmcf25BWIAASrYl.jpg

It isn't a man with a stuffed boar. Je suis désolé. Je ne suis impressionné.
    Haha! Stuffed boar man must return. He doesn't know how famous he is!
  • above_the_cows
    ^I keep wondering what the parents of that little girl standing next to the giant penis are thinking?

Maybe they painted it? Maybe the little girl painted it? Maybe they're just pretending it isn't there and hoping for no awkward questions...?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    ^I keep wondering what the parents of that little girl standing next to the giant penis are thinking?

Maybe they painted it? Maybe the little girl painted it? Maybe they're just pretending it isn't there and hoping for no awkward questions...?

That appears to be a Norwegian flag they're standing next to, so she probably learnt all this stuff in kindergarten.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • above_the_cows

That appears to be a Norwegian flag they're standing next to, so she probably learnt all this stuff in kindergarten.

Yes that was going to be my next question "maybe this is entirely normal in Norway?"
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Nice shot of one of the riders in the break emptying the gel wrappers from his pockets.

Fine please, UCI.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Phil & Paul would've mentioned this 'rule' about a dozen times by now. It's like Boulting & Millar don't even care about the rules!
  • above_the_cows
    I just caught a glimpse of Zubeldia!

This has made my day.
  • above_the_cows
    Have BMC got white bikes now?
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Yes that was going to be my next question "maybe this is entirely normal in Norway?"

Only Norway?

Cerne-abbas-giant-2001-cropped.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    Fell asleep. Woke up with almost 3 min gap with 15km to go.

BMC panicking.
  • above_the_cows
    The Vikings were known to raid that far south :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    Stuyven still looks v strong in the break.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,535
    This is the problem with Sagan being on the same team as Contador. Tinkoff are not willing to ride even though Sagan is probably the favourite.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    thegibdog wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Phil & Paul would've mentioned this 'rule' about a dozen times by now. It's like Boulting & Millar don't even care about the rules!

It's possible they just know the sub-clause regarding uphill finishes.