TdF Stage 1 *May contain spoilers*

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    CmXrGJ8WgAEZgc7.jpg:large
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Contador saying he feels ok - probably means he actually is injured!
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Cycling news reporting big time splits in the peloton including GC contenders.

Take with pinch of salt, given the crash.

I assume the commissars will nullify the gaps.

Great to see Cav in yellow
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    So anyone who didn't go for Kittel in PTP is feeling foolish now.

:oops:
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Oh dear people, there were no cows, horses, cheese, wine or geology in this spoiler thread.

I will have to rectify this tomorrow (minus the geology, ddraver is getting up close and personal with some geology in the alps).
    Correlation is not causation.
  • bobmcstuff
    Oh dear people, there were no cows, horses, cheese, wine or geology in this spoiler thread.

I will have to rectify this tomorrow (minus the geology, ddraver is getting up close and personal with some geology in the alps).
    I can dig out some of my old textbooks and provide some geology if you like ;)
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    bobmcstuff wrote:

I can dig out some of my old textbooks and provide some geology if you like ;)

Please Bob.

I have just learned that the area around Saint Lô is the horse capital of France.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    Sam Bennet in hospital getting his collarbone checked, along with a finger injury. Here's hoping he is OK to continue.

DD.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,535
    Cavendish is in green as well which is the first time for a while. No doubt Sagan will reclaim it tomorrow.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,535
    Cav, Renshaw and Eisel in the same team and it's like nothing has changed.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Interesting timings, thought they'd nullify the gaps because of the crash. Of the GC big guns, Barguil at 3", Froome and Quintana are both on 23", Valverde 29", Porte, Aru and Nibali are 32". Contador 55". Pinot at 1'. Geraint (who crashed) 1'33". Assuming those times stand (they are from ASO, and it is now a few hours since the finish) then there are already gaps appearing. Noticeably Froome and Nairo are level pegging, and are on the right side of the splits.

Lanterne rouge Bak and Roosen on 4'33".
  • bobmcstuff
    /\ first 176 riders now on ST.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    bobmcstuff wrote:

As hilarious as it would be for ASO to shrug their shoulders and say "well you keep saying you wanted time gaps earlier in the race to stop everyone trying to push to the front, so there you go..." it's the right decision. Hope we get a full complement of starters tomorrow now.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Contador did well to get away with minor injuries looking at this footage.

http://www.ciclo21.com/tour-2016-contad ... os-suelos/
  • slim_boy_fat
    Pross wrote:
    For all the criticism of Cav he knows how to keep a sponsor happy.
    Ah come on that's just dull.

I prefer box office Cav.

I thought it was very non-sweary, then his daughter popped up...

Guess it's too early in the race for Cav to have got riled by everything yet though - he usually needs a few days of being cheesed off to reach full quotable levels.
    Plenty early. From Richard Moore's twatter. This was Aussie TV.
    Is it nice to have respect of the other riders in the peloton?
    Cav: 'To be fair there's a lot of guys who fucking hate me in the peloton'
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,655
    r0bh wrote:
    So anyone who didn't go for Kittel in PTP is feeling foolish now.

:oops:

Haha.

Yeah. Not much more to say!!
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Good, right decision.

They must have changed the times just after I posted.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002

Well that footage neatly proves this is bullshit:
    "It's very unfortunate of course. (Brent) Bookwalter (of BMC) crashed in front of him and took Alberto out," said Steven de Jongh, Tinkoff's sports director.
    Bertie took himself out!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,655
    It's a shame. Of all the riders you want in decent form it's a post ban Contador.
  • slim_boy_fat
    adr82 wrote:

Well that footage neatly proves this is bullshit:
    "It's very unfortunate of course. (Brent) Bookwalter (of BMC) crashed in front of him and took Alberto out," said Steven de Jongh, Tinkoff's sports director.
    Bertie took himself out!
    Yeah I spotted that on twatter as well. Not sure why they would tell porkies. Could only have come from Bertie I guess.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    To be fair on Bertie it's easy with adrenaline to believe it was someone else who made you crash rather than the reality.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    sherer wrote:
    To be fair on Bertie it's easy with adrenaline to believe it was someone else who made you crash rather than the reality.

I agree - it happened quickly and you tend to try and rationalise things, and it's easy to replay it in your head and persuade yourself you reacted to someone else. Fact of the matter seems to be that the bike simply skipped out from underneath him - it's nothing to do with bike handling (as a side note, imagine the fuss Froome would be getting if it had been him), and most people who have ridden bikes relatively fast will have had a moment of recognition there, I think.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458

Definitely need the usual educational start to the spoiler threads please
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Only just managed to catch up with ITV4 highlights. They completely screwed up the finale and managed to miss Cav passing Sagan and no overhead. Had to watch it 4 times to work out how he won.

Delighted with Cav after giving him his last chance on PTP, mainly because everyone else went for Kittel.
    Is EBH ok?
  • Mad_Malx
    As NTA says elsewhere, Tusher needs to check in to celebrate.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    "Brap, braaaaap, braap
    John Degenkolb was making motorcycle noises on his way to sign in. No idea why. He seemed to be enjoying himself."
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    As NTA says elsewhere, Tusher needs to check in to celebrate.

Edit: and Coroneymade too!
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Only just managed to catch up with ITV4 highlights. They completely screwed up the finale and managed to miss Cav passing Sagan and no overhead. Had to watch it 4 times to work out how he won.

Delighted with Cav after giving him his last chance on PTP, mainly because everyone else went for Kittel.
    Is EBH ok?

Overhead was a waste of time for explaining the finish - the camera operator spotted the crash and concentrated on that. I've not seen a shot that really unpicks the final moves, although the Tour did publish a clip from a camera on the line that showed quite how big a gap (surprisingly big) Cavendish opened up - but again, it adds little explanation of how it happened.