wake up to news that we're doomed

off to the gym, then a day of stuff

clearly time for independence for london, scotland and northern ireland
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    Wave bye bye to our mods.
    Crazy day, and days ahead. Glad my holidays and Euros are all sorted and paid for.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning , the suns shining in Lincoln this morning, must be the start of a new era
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,028
    Maybe I should have bought my Euros, maybe I shouldn't.

I've got a good few weeks yet, I doubt it'll rocket back up again but markets react very quickly to news, good or bads so I'm not going to run about screaming.

On the bright side, I'm going for a bike ride now...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Well it's a sunny warm day, I'm not working and the festival of speed is a 10 minute bike ride away so I'm going to check out the vibe. Anyway just in case anything goes wrong I'm going to phone up the ambulance station and get them to follow me around with one of those gold plated jobs manned by scantily clad nurses paid for with the extra £350 million a week the nhs has got now we're leaving.
  • pblakeney
    ...Anyway just in case anything goes wrong I'm going to phone up the ambulance station and get them to follow me around with one of those gold plated jobs manned by scantily clad nurses paid for with the extra £350 million a week the nhs has got now we're leaving.
    A mighty fine plan! :P
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    I woke up to be unsurprised by the result, but shocked at how close it was. There's going to be a lot of upset people out there.

I wonder if one bright side of this is that Nigel Farage (rhymes with cabbage) is now redundant. His main point of campaign was that UK should leave. Now that we will, is he even more pointless?

The older I get, the better I was.

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,955
    Went for a ride a 5am and there was gravel and grit plastered over just about every road after prolonged thunderstorms lastnight. Came round a corner to find water across the whole of the road and thought I'd risk it...oh dear. Ended up pedalling for around 25m in water just over the bottom bracket, both feet getting submerged. On a bike I just stripped and cleaned and regreased too. D'oh.

Not working today but I do have my car booked in at the main dealer for a MOT and service. It's a certain make from Bavaria and after last nights news I hope they don't readjust the prices by the time I get there.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    Capt Slog wrote:
    I wonder if one bright side of this is that Nigel Farage (rhymes with cabbage) is now redundant. His main point of campaign was that UK should leave. Now that we will, is he even more pointless?
    Unfortunately, I doubt it but we will have to put up with him being intolerably smug for a while.
    Goodwood Festival of Whizz sounds like a sensible plan Mr Scrimshaw.
    Pleasant enough ride to work in the sunshine. As yesterday's rain was caused be warm humid air coming over from France now that we have voted out we can have our own weather. Well that's more believable than spending the extra £350 million on the NHS.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Well it's a sunny warm day, I'm not working and the festival of speed is a 10 minute bike ride away so I'm going to check out the vibe. Anyway just in case anything goes wrong I'm going to phone up the ambulance station and get them to follow me around with one of those gold plated jobs manned by scantily clad nurses paid for with the extra £350 million a week the nhs has got now we're leaving.

In breaking news it seems that pledge was "a mistake"

The good news is that they have set a new world record for breaking an election pledge
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    on the bright side, we're still in the eu, so at least a few more years before we get kicked into the outsiders line at immigration, lose our human rights, employee protections are eroded, can't trade freely, and mobile roaming charges come back

meh, i'm off for an eu cafe break: eu espresso, toasted eu croissant with eu cheese and and eu serrano ham, and read my international new york times (based in the eu) in the sun, which the eu also has more of
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Morning, disappointed to see the result, if we have another Indyref I hope they get on with it bloody quick because it's really quite disruptive. On the plus side, I might stand to gain quite a bit from the pound dropping...
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Maybe I should have bought my Euros, maybe I shouldn't.

I've got a good few weeks yet, I doubt it'll rocket back up again but markets react very quickly to news

Oddly the pound is virtually unchanged against the Euro. Maybe the markets think that the EU is equally screwed without us.
  • sungod
    says it all really, i do so want the second one to happen...

http://b3ta.com/board/11202288

http://b3ta.com/board/11202182
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    Me not happy me. I think i'll need a long bike ride to get over this one.

Prime minister is resigning. Chaos for how long?

Don't know what the possible up sides of this one could be.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • sungod
    mrfpb wrote:
    Oddly the pound is virtually unchanged against the Euro. Maybe the markets think that the EU is equally screwed without us.

er...

gbpeur.jpg
  • johnnymcg259
    johnnymcg259 Posts: 569
    Can we still use continental quilts and have a continental breakfast?.........Oh!.....and what about the Eurovision Song Contest?
    ............unsettling times ahead boys. :(
  • homers_double
    Thorntons are screwed too, unless they launch a new brand just for the UK market.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    sungod wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:

er...

gbpeur.jpg
    Sterling/Euro exchange rate was 1.30 yesterday afternoon: now at 1.25. Hardly an earth shattering swing. And a fair bit higher than the rates back in 2009 (below 1.10). Fortunately I have a Reuters screen here, makes the day a bit more interesting.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sungod
    not numerically, but in market terms it indisputably is a significant drop, there's already been a long slide during the campaign, a rally when they thought it'd be the other way, then sell-off when the result was clear

we've now got a government that's gone from gutless to rudderless, no plan, and a multiyear transition to something that has never been defined, let alone tested

tbh i'll be happy if interest rates finally rise, a lot :)
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I'm expecting to be whisked away by Farage and his SS for the extra large espresso I had earlier...
  • pblakeney
    HaydenM wrote:
    I'm expecting to be whisked away by Farage and his SS for the extra large espresso I had earlier...
    I am genuinely concerned that the price of my Lavazza is going to rise.
    Glad I stocked up last time I went to Costco. :lol:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    I informed the better half this morning of the news and suggested the euro's for our holiday will now cost more. Apparently I should have known the outcome and said something earlier in the week. I did explain that the economic indicators during the week suggested a remain outcome but no I should've known. Maybe my wife was planning on shorting the housing and banking stocks or betting on currency fluctuations....

Today is stratergising about the future. I've never left it to anyone else to define and many problems have been solved while riding and thinking...later is a curry with a film and to establish if my wife has a secret off shore investment fund
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Woke up and was shocked to hear the news, even more shocked to hear DC will resign as PM but having thought a bit, not that surprised.

I just wonder whether the EU and UK will break apart or as I hope, politicians across the EU will recognise the EU as an institution has clearly not worked and needs major reform.

Moved house earlier this year, so grateful I have a 5 year fixed rate mortgage.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    Nothing to stop the UK and the Euro zone having strong partnerships. Well, that's my blind optimistic note.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    I told the wife to buy euros yesterday - so I'm in the clear, whereas she who claimed taking the cat to the vets was more important is screwed

Today is working from home and taking delivery of a dishwasher for the wife and a wine fridge for me :)

At some point I need to fit new tyres to the masters and pack for the Dartmoor classic this w.end - will probably do it tomorrow and go to the pub later, it is Friday after all
  • homers_double
    Watching stair-rod rain out of the office and glad that I got out this morning in the sun.

I need to nip out for a new shirt later and then am fitting some LED lighting.

Kind of sucks about the Euros as I need about 2 grands worth in a few weeks but I'm not going to let it worry me that much.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Stevo_666
    Song for the day:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15YgdrhrCM8

In other news the hound survived getting his knackers chopped off but we forgot to buy a 'cone of shame' yesterday to stop him licking the wound, so we had had to rig him up with an old pair of my kids pink shorts from when she was 4, with a hole cut out for his tail and a laggy band to keep them from falling down. Looks quite comical but I still feel sorry for him.

Still busy with BREXIT stuff at work...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • homers_double
    Stevo, you need...

52741c71e691b26f19aec579_736.jpg
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Stevo_666
    sungod wrote:
    not numerically, but in market terms it indisputably is a significant drop, there's already been a long slide during the campaign, a rally when they thought it'd be the other way, then sell-off when the result was clear

we've now got a government that's gone from gutless to rudderless, no plan, and a multiyear transition to something that has never been defined, let alone tested

tbh i'll be happy if interest rates finally rise, a lot :)
    1.30 was what they thought when it looked like we would stay. So 1.25 is not a massive drop given what's happened. Like I said, we've been there and lower before now.

I doubt interest rates will go up. A bank conf call this morning thought they would stay the same of even go down a bit.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo, you need...

52741c71e691b26f19aec579_736.jpg
    Yep, the cone of shame is what he's getting today.