Straw polling

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    The meltdown has already begun: Our Greggs have put the prices of their bacon butties up by 5p.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    The meltdown has already begun: Our Greggs have put the prices of their bacon butties up by 5p.
    Well, that's just the start of the price increase on Danish Bacon... :roll:
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Well, that's just the start of the price increase on Danish Bacon... :roll:
    Better off getting British bacon anyway.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Europe unravel now, at least over the next five years. Plenty more European nations who will want their own say.

Disappointed, but we are where we are. UK markets being relatively measured at the moment in contrast to Europe.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I'm long overdue (hopefully not too long) on making an application for a New Zealand Passport.

Hopefully London will get it's own referendum now.. :lol:
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Ironically, by the time we're actually out there'll probably be more people still alive who voted "Remain" than who voted "Leave"...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • iPete
    Has anyone got a link to a good website showing the data break down, i.e. with demographics?
    Can we ban over 65s voting based on being senile and behind the times?
  • Surprised, but not chocked.

It won't make a lot of difference in the end, and may actually lead to a renegotiated trade block in Europe, as I doubt we'll be the last to leave.
    Carrera Subway 2015
    Boardman Hybrid Team 2014
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,968
    iPete wrote:
    Has anyone got a link to a good website showing the data break down, i.e. with demographics?
    Only if we can ban under 25s for being inexperienced.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683
    Surprised, but not chocked.

It won't make a lot of difference in the end, and may actually lead to a renegotiated trade block in Europe, as I doubt we'll be the last to leave.
    No, we will just have a spike in inflation and unemployment, higher taxes and a property price crash during prolonged recession. Nothing too serious. Of course, the less well off segments of society, which appears to have skewed the vote, will be most badly hit. Who will be the "they" that are blamed I wonder? Ho hum.

Being optimistic, towards the end of your career, there's a slim chance that the balance will have shifted and the UK will eventually reach a "break even point" from where it would have been had it stayed in, so once you have retired on your much smaller than expected pension, you'll at least be able to see the next generation be slightly less worse off. On the other hand, you might not.

At least I'll be in an independent Scotland. Okay, my salary will be in Euros, but holidays in England will be relatively cheap.
  • First.Aspect
    iPete wrote:
    I think stupid people voted overwhelmingly to leave.
  • iPete
    PBlakeney wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    Only if we can ban under 25s for being inexperienced.

Well I do like playing with data so would be happy to run through that scenario too...
  • iPete
    iPete wrote:
    I think stupid people voted overwhelmingly to leave.

I can't compete with the Guardian when it comes to data vis and it pretty much sums up what you just said.
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng- ... d-analysis
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    TGOTB wrote:
    Ironically, by the time we're actually out there'll probably be more people still alive who voted "Remain" than who voted "Leave"...
    Nah, looking at face book and twitter that will be more than balanced out by remainers leaving the country.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • iPete
    I won't dilute the SCR thread but who here kettled Boris this morning? :lol:
    https://twitter.com/asianyardie/status/ ... 0649854976
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    MrSweary wrote:
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Europe unravel now, at least over the next five years. Plenty more European nations who will want their own say.

I agree. Sadly, we may end up with an EU without the UK that would have actually suited the UK very well...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    iPete wrote:

Not quite clear what's going on there? "Kettled"??? Is that a $exual reference?!?!?!?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • iPete
    SecretSam wrote:
    iPete wrote:

Not quite clear what's going on there? "Kettled"??? Is that a $exual reference?!?!?!?

One could hope :lol:

Kettling is the act of creating a cordon around something, it is apparently BoJos car.
  • SecretSam wrote:
    iPete wrote:

Sadly not. It's a Police term:

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/diction ... ish/kettle

Thoroughly shocked by the result of the vote. Haven't woken up to such a political disappointment since the independence referendum.

I don't quite know what "a grinning Farage" is a euphemism for, but it must be one of the most disgusting things imaginable.
  • First.Aspect
    Thoroughly shocked by the result of the vote. Haven't woken up to such a political disappointment since the independence referendum.
    Does this mean you voted "yes"? If so, how can you be disappointed? You will get a 2nd independence referendum, contingent one would assume on the prospect of re-entering or remaining in the EU. The every-opportunist SNP will call it before the implications of "leave" fully shake out, so we will be voting in a vacuum again.

All of your Christmases at once, no?
  • Thoroughly shocked by the result of the vote. Haven't woken up to such a political disappointment since the independence referendum.
    Does this mean you voted "yes"? If so, how can you be disappointed? You will get a 2nd independence referendum, contingent one would assume on the prospect of re-entering or remaining in the EU. The every-opportunist SNP will call it before the implications of "leave" fully shake out, so we will be voting in a vacuum again.

All of your Christmases at once, no?

Not really. As a citizen of the world, I think the UK being part of the EU has had a greatly calming effect on recent history. Our European history has basically gone:

War.
    War.
    War.
    War.
    Moaning about bananas.

I think moaning about bananas has been great in comparison. If this vote is mirrored around Europe, like it seems it may, then we are definitely in for a sustained period of instability. Yes, the second independence referendum must now happen, but what will be left of the EU to join?

All we need is President Trump and I think we at least have the four corners in a game of apocalyptic bingo.
  • MrSweary
    "a grinning Farage"

Not something anyone would want to wake up to.. :shock:
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • Surprised, but not chocked.

No, we will just have a spike in inflation and unemployment, higher taxes and a property price crash during prolonged recession. Nothing too serious. Of course, the less well off segments of society, which appears to have skewed the vote, will be most badly hit. Who will be the "they" that are blamed I wonder? Ho hum.

Being optimistic, towards the end of your career, there's a slim chance that the balance will have shifted and the UK will eventually reach a "break even point" from where it would have been had it stayed in, so once you have retired on your much smaller than expected pension, you'll at least be able to see the next generation be slightly less worse off. On the other hand, you might not.

At least I'll be in an independent Scotland. Okay, my salary will be in Euros, but holidays in England will be relatively cheap.

So, I'm Scottish and voted remain, work in financial services, and am very confident that none of these things you mention will pass. Compared to 2008 this is a blip.
    Carrera Subway 2015
    Boardman Hybrid Team 2014
  • MrSweary

So, I'm Scottish and voted remain, work in financial services, and am very confident that none of these things you mention will pass. Compared to 2008 this is a blip.

I agree. Reality will be neither as bad or as good as either side suggest. In fact I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us reach some sort of economic and political understanding with key European players in the next year.

Still disappointed that petulance seems to have taken precedence over sense though (imvho).
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • First.Aspect

I certainly hope that you are right. Perhaps commerce has been more important than politics for a long time.....

Can I ask you this - in your view would Scotland in the EU but not the UK be an opportunity? An irrelevance? Worst of both worlds?

Honestly, I don't know, and I doubt that listening to our political leaders will be enlightening.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Well, as an Englishman with home in Scotland, I voted to keep the Union together because I honestly believed it was best for the Highlands. I've got to be honest though, another time around, I believe the Highlands would be better served by Scotland being outside the UK and as part of Europe. That's how much I think the landscape has changed. That's how big this is.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

Wait, compared to the biggest recession the Western world has seen since the Great Depression 80 years ago?

:roll:
  • Can I ask you this - in your view would Scotland in the EU but not the UK be an opportunity? An irrelevance? Worst of both worlds?

Honestly, I don't know, and I doubt that listening to our political leaders will be enlightening.
    I think the best answer is, "it depends".

There are a lot of (quite often American) companies who need some sort of base within the EU and have quite often chosen either the UK or Ireland because of the lack of language barriers. More recently, this has been Ireland as they're within the eurozone.

Should Scotland stay in Europe, and preferably joined the euro, then given our very well educated population we're likely to be an attractive proposition, though I guess it comes down to tax breaks and rates.

Certainly England has shot itself in the foot, places like Sunderland where the main employer is Nissan's EU base voted overwhelmingly for the exit. I can't imagine they're likely to hang around.
  • First.Aspect
    Can I ask you this - in your view would Scotland in the EU but not the UK be an opportunity? An irrelevance? Worst of both worlds?

I think the best answer is, "it depends".

There are a lot of (quite often American) companies who need some sort of base within the EU and have quite often chosen either the UK or Ireland because of the lack of language barriers. More recently, this has been Ireland as they're within the eurozone.

Should Scotland stay in Europe, and preferably joined the euro, then given our very well educated population we're likely to be an attractive proposition, though I guess it comes down to tax breaks and rates.

Certainly England has shot itself in the foot, places like Sunderland where the main employer is Nissan's EU base voted overwhelmingly for the exit. I can't imagine they're likely to hang around.
    Well quite.
    Scotland also shot itself in the foot. 67% turn out. Low, dare I say complacent, compared to the rest of the UK. Glasgow, the great hub of democracy in 2014, 56%.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,968
    Well quite.
    Scotland also shot itself in the foot. 67% turn out. Low, dare I say complacent, compared to the rest of the UK. Glasgow, the great hub of democracy in 2014, 56%.
    Quite possibly that because their population is so low, what is the point?
    As proven by the results.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.