Straw polling

Comments

• cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Bring back fog is what I say!!!! Kids today don't know they're born!! Or what a proper pea souper looks like!!!

EU = FOG STEALING BEAUROCRATS!!!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    dhope wrote:
    So, and forgive me for (obviously biased) paraphrasing,

Remain:
    A bunch of concerns linked to your natural inclination, yours and your partners jobs, your house and the money you've saved, your family's way of life
    Correct, every person will think of their own circumstance when stood in the polling booth.
    dhope wrote:
    and the belief that those that lead the Out campaign don't have your interests at heart and may well end up actively ******* you over
    Wrong, my fear is they'll **** all of us over and the results for me will be far less than the effects on others.

Leave:

At some not too distant point in the future the EU will change in some pretty disastrous way. Better have some distance from it than be part of it. So better to take the hit now rather than just kick it into the long grass.

I can't see how that could be anything other than an undecided conclusion.

We'll not really have much distance from it though. We'll not stop trading with them, which means we'll need to follow all the rules that the press moan about (because you meet the rules of the market you're selling into). If we want to be in the single market then we have to accept free movement of workers anyway. And if we abandon that lot and don't have a good trading relationship with the EU then we'll be unlikely to have a great one with anyone else. Our selling point is that we're one of the big 3 in Europe along with France and Germany. So we can leave and guarantee ourselves a shitty time of things. Or, if the EU does change in a drastic way, we can be one of the strongest countries inside (as we are currently) and have the best chance of managing the fallout.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,304
    Asprilla wrote:
    It always struck me as a vote for nostalgia. The audience member on QT saying that he 'wanted her country back' summed it up. It's a vote for going back to when things were better, and all this were nowt but fields.

Except it wasn't better. It's a myth.

You only had to work 3 days a week, and energy bills were much lower.

(I don't remember who I stole that off.)
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    My parents (around 80 years old) have decided not to vote on the basis that the outcome won't affect them much. They are generally anti-Europe but that's based upon experiences of 30-40 years ago.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mosheehan
    mosheehan Posts: 64
    Have a search for John Oliver's Brexit rant. Won't be shown on uk tv as it's too baised, but funny nonetheless.

Portuguese wife who has worked for the NHS for over 10 years, obviously paid UK taxes all that time, and has been resident in the UK for longer than she hasn't doesn't get a vote as she sees far better uses for the £1000 the citizenship would cost.

Having just recently spent some time in a hospital, it is quite scary to think that if all the EU nationals who are nurses and doctors had to apply for work visas, how much it would cost to replace them with agency staff etc...

Also, shorter lines at passport control, I know it's been said before, but it is great!
    The Monkeys are out to get me!
    Cannondale CaadX Tiagra Disc
  • dhope
    oxoman wrote:
    Blah blah
    They already have deutchmarks ready to go into circulation, the French are ready to go back to the franc so be warned.

facepalm.jpg
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    It always struck me as a vote for nostalgia. The audience member on QT saying that he 'wanted her country back' summed it up. It's a vote for going back to when things were better, and all this were nowt but fields.

Except it wasn't better. It's a myth.
    Once again I am in agreement with Mr Asprilla. Country back from what? As has been asked so many times. Back to those halcyon days in the Hovis ads.

Yup - they are voting for this image of Yorkshire.
    article-2517410-19CD2E5400000578-563_634x586.jpg

Except it's Gold Hill in Shaftesbury which is about as near to Yorkshire as Vote Leaves ideas are to reality.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I'm voting Remain because holidays to Spain will be cheaper if we stay.

So there.
    Carrera Subway 2015
    Boardman Hybrid Team 2014
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    oxoman wrote:
    Both sides are lying toerags, however think of it this way. Independence means we retain sovereignty and independent police and military, forces and control our own borders and destiny.
    Remain. Potentially lose sovereignty. Definitely lose control of our police and military to the EU, decisions already rubber stamped. Continued instructions from the EU interfering with our way of life and our borders.

What should have happened is that we should have had a third choice to renegotiate the terms in our favour. Some good things have come out of the EU but a lot of bad things to. Labour only campaigns to stay in as to many of their clan are MEPs and potentialy jobs for the boys if we remain. We stood on our own for a long time we can do it again I believe. At fifty I've seen alot and travelled the EU alot with work and not everything is Rosie in the garden believe me. The only reason Merkel and co want us to remain is that without us the euro is toast. They already have deutchmarks ready to go into circulation, the French are ready to go back to the franc so be warned.

Goodness me, what a load of utter, utter nonsense. Francs? Deutchmarks? Rubber stamped EU military control? REALLY....??

I thought this stuff was just Facebook Share/Like bait, but here it is on BR too. Just wow.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    :-)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    oxoman wrote:
    Not facebook rubbish unfortunately, wish it was. Sadly rubber stamped by Labour some years ago and Tories unable to negotiate anything worth a mention. Ask yourself why so many other Euro country's are having referendums after us.

Name them
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,797
    Well on the eve of the vote mainly London cyclists turn out roughly 4-1 in favour of Remain.

There's (not) a surprise.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,661
    My parents (around 80 years old) have decided not to vote on the basis that the outcome won't affect them much. They are generally anti-Europe but that's based upon experiences of 30-40 years ago.

In a stunning turn of events, my mother, who would ordinarily drink in everything that the Times tells her, asked whether my job would be affected.

I said, truthfully, that salaries would be hit and there would be less work overall, while some colleagues in the other part of my company would be very badly hit indeed. I presume she's asked the same question as my brother, who works at a university for an EU project.

So, despite not really liking "them" and what "they make us do" some conscience has prevailed. With a bit of luck there will be a last minute errosion of the grey vote on similar grounds.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Older people know they have a responsibility to consider this vote in the context of others rather than just themselves.

hahahahahaha. Since when has that ever been the case?

Politicians know they have the highest turnout come election day so win them over with policies which screw over the youth.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking ... rewed.html

And for this vote many think its all about going back to what 'they fought and died for' which was of course, a European Union, not a load of individual self righteous rose tinted naval-gazers.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,355
    coriordan wrote:
    And for this vote many think its all about going back to what 'they fought and died for' which was of course, a European Union, not a load of individual self righteous rose tinted naval-gazers.
    Agree with everything you say, especially this bit.
  • surrey_commuter

In a stunning turn of events, my mother, who would ordinarily drink in everything that the Times tells her, asked whether my job would be affected.

I said, truthfully, that salaries would be hit and there would be less work overall, while some colleagues in the other part of my company would be very badly hit indeed. I presume she's asked the same question as my brother, who works at a university for an EU project.

So, despite not really liking "them" and what "they make us do" some conscience has prevailed. With a bit of luck there will be a last minute errosion of the grey vote on similar grounds.

I do not wish to cast doubt upon the love of a Mother for her child.... but the Times is very strongly in favour of remain
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    oxoman wrote:
    Not facebook rubbish unfortunately, wish it was. Sadly rubber stamped by Labour some years ago and Tories unable to negotiate anything worth a mention. Ask yourself why so many other Euro country's are having referendums after us.

Some EU nations want an EU army, that true. However, article 42 of the Treaty of Lisbon states that any such decision would require unanimity of the member states. In other words, if we don't want it we just say no and then no-one can do it.

This is the thing about the EU, it doesn't really do anything to you without your consent. It's one of the reasons that it moves so slowly; everyone has to agree or nothing happens. Even in situations where courts in the UK prioritise EU law over UK law that's because we've explicitly written our laws to make that happen.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • tootsie323
    tootsie323 Posts: 199
    oxoman wrote:
    ... What should have happened is that we should have had a third choice to renegotiate the terms in our favour...
    Either way the vote goes we are going to renegotiate anyway. Leave and we have to renegotiate a lot of things (trade deals is the foremost that springs to mind). Remain and we seek renegotiation on terms - that's not a foregone conclusion but a point that was made prior to the referendum.
    Up until recently I've been so undecided I almost did the hokey kokey. Finally decided for In, largely on the basis that it is, to me, a progressive - rather than regressive - step.
  • First.Aspect

I do not wish to cast doubt upon the love of a Mother for her child.... but the Times is very strongly in favour of remain
    :shock: What the hell's she been reading then? As you can guess, I don't read The Times.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440

:shock: What the hell's she been reading then? As you can guess, I don't read The Times.

Maybe shes reading The Daily Mail, but puts a Times coversheet on it?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • First.Aspect
    tootsie323 wrote:
    oxoman wrote:
    ... What should have happened is that we should have had a third choice to renegotiate the terms in our favour...
    Either way the vote goes we are going to renegotiate anyway. Leave and we have to renegotiate a lot of things (trade deals is the foremost that springs to mind). Remain and we seek renegotiation on terms - that's not a foregone conclusion but a point that was made prior to the referendum.
    Up until recently I've been so undecided I almost did the hokey kokey. Finally decided for In, largely on the basis that it is, to me, a progressive - rather than regressive - step.
    On this point, I would say we are in a much better position to negotiate if we are in. If we are out, form the perspective of the people we are negotiating with, the worst will already have happened. If we are in, there will still be the implied threat of our leaving, particularly if the vote is close.

Think of it this way - had Scotland left the UK, how cooperative would the rest of the UK have been to renegotiating things like the currency, armed forces, policing and wotnot? Would rUK have done everything possible to give themselves a marginally softer landing and Scotland a much softer landing, or would they be too busy with the aftermath to give a cr@p about helping the people who had caused it?
  • First.Aspect
    Asprilla wrote:

It would explain a lot.
  • surrey_commuter
    Asprilla wrote:

It would explain a lot.

My Mother uses the cover of "somebody I know thinks/knows/said" it is her equivalent of "I am not a racist but..."

obviously she would never say "I am not a racist" because everybody would laugh
  • veronese68
    My Mother uses the cover of "somebody I know thinks/knows/said" it is her equivalent of "I am not a racist but..."

obviously she would never say "I am not a racist" because everybody would laugh
    My grandmother was just an out and out racist and I started pulling her up on it from my mid teens. She then started saying "I know I'm not supposed to say this but..." and would ignore my usual reply of "Don't then".
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,852
    Bye guys! :shock:
    What do cyclists know?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    I feel like I'm living amongst a load of closet xenophobes.

How do you guys feel about living in the United Kingdom of England and Wales?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,852
    Well on the eve of the vote mainly London cyclists turn out roughly 4-1 in favour of Remain.

There's (not) a surprise.
    Trouble being that there are more voters outside London.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68

I'm not sure if I should move to Scotland or apply for an Italian passport.
  • surrey_commuter
    Veronese68 wrote:

I'm not sure if I should move to Scotland or apply for an Italian passport.

There is Irish on my mothers side but she is such a racist she tries to deny it so is difficult to get any details If not I hear the Portugese will accept anybody
  • dhope

Closet? We're all out today.

Very very disappointed :(
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo