National Championships 2016 *spoilers*

Comments

• jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    edited June 2016
    I really can't imagine any of them want to be sprinting against Cav, there's got to be some big attacks in the last couple of km. I know they're big-upping Fenn for the sprint but he must be thinking of doing a Cummings?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,570
    Peters doing the opposite.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    Cav's to loose I'd say
  • TheBigBean
    Blythe beats Cavendish. View mostly obscured by spectators.
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    Blythe from Cav from Fenn I think
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    What a tv shambles.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Blythe wins
  • TheBigBean
    Replays show a straight-up shoulder to shoulder sprint with Blythe quicker.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    can people now stop denying that mark cavendish is done?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    An object lesson in how to not film the last 500m of a race
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Shadowrider
    Bit of a nudge from Blythe on Cav put him back a few strokes, but nothing against the rules I'd say. Cav has done it before.
  • Mad_Malx
    Cav's finished
  • TheBigBean
    What a tv shambles.

You couldn't see the women's finish either, so it's not like it should have been a surprise.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Pictures on Eurosport Player weren't good enough for me to see the spectators never mind the riders.
  • Shadowrider
    I'll take that.

Hopefully gets some black shorts though.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Terrible camera positions at the finish. I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but Blythe deserved that. Not sure what Peters was doing, he obviously had the strength and could have maybe put in one big attack on the final lap. Dowsett yet again failing to position himself well early in the race. Not a bad race considering the circuit wasn't the most selective.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Cav certainly didn't look as quick as he normal does......................cos he lost.
    Tinkoff's 4th or 5th? national champs jersey of the day.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    I'll take that.

This is Blythe we're talking about. He'll probably go for for gold lame!

Lucky Frenchie isn't around, he'd be apoplectic at the result especially with his men Tao and Peters at the front all day.

Pleased to see Welsh champion Appleby up there.
  • Shadowrider
    Pross wrote:
    I'll take that.

This is Blythe we're talking about. He'll probably go for for gold lame!

Lucky Frenchie isn't around, he'd be apoplectic at the result especially with his men Tao and Peters at the front all day.

Pleased to see Welsh champion Appleby up there.

Very true.

Maybe he'll have an all white skin suit?
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Crikey, cav can't even win domestic sprints now against non pure sprinters...

It's sad to see such once great sportsmen in decline.

Kittel will be happy (if he was even a bit concerned before).
  • TheBigBean
    I'm not sure a race like today is completely comparative to normal stages. Cav did a lot more work than normal.
  • Pross
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I'm not sure a race like today is completely comparative to normal stages. Cav did a lot more work than normal.

Blythe arguably did more though being in a 4 man break. There's no doubt Cav has lost his top end speed. That said he's training to ride the omnium and team pursuit rather than win sprints after 200km so it's not really that big a surprise.
  • TheBigBean
    Pross wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Blythe arguably did more though being in a 4 man break. There's no doubt Cav has lost his top end speed. That said he's training to ride the omnium and team pursuit rather than win sprints after 200km so it's not really that big a surprise.

He's definitely slower, but a couple of months ago he lost by an inch or so to Kittel, so he's not that bad. I think Cav did a lot of the chasing of the four man break, so may have done more than Blythe in any case.
  • mattythemod
    mattythemod Posts: 289
    Why no TV interview with Blythe that i can find ...i know he has a rep but really ?
  • Mad_Malx
    Have any of the threads mentioned Bouhanni in a punch up last night? Stitches in his hand after punching someone and breaking their tooth, for waking him up.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-rout ... IYOXkSeG6r

Whole selection of 'what's Arthur seen' pics on CN

gettyimages_543142634-115-80.jpg
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Yup, I agree and with Renshaw to guide him through the Blythe knocks he might win again.
    With 2 laps to go Cavendish put in a mighty surge that split the remaining break but it all came together again.
    IMO - He emptied the tank then and was no longer a controller but he became a follower and had Blythe watching him from behind.
    I expect Cavendish will be happy to get one stage in the French Tour so he can concentrate on the omnium. ? :roll:

Next year he will be back to the missile we know.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Have any of the threads mentioned Bouhanni in a punch up last night? Stitches in his hand after punching someone and breaking their tooth, for waking him up.

Yes, though to say he broke someone's face for waking him up is claiming more knowledge of the incident that we are privilege to. It's alleged he confronted three guests wh were drunk and causing a nuisance. Fair fucks ti him tbh.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

He's definitely slower, but a couple of months ago he lost by an inch or so to Kittel, so he's not that bad. I think Cav did a lot of the chasing of the four man break, so may have done more than Blythe in any case.

But Cav has often said he doesn't train his sprint and relies on natural talent so I doubt training for an omnium would have adversely affected him. 3-4 years ago he'd have walked it but he's just past his best now.
  • Pross
    twotyred wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

But Cav has often said he doesn't train his sprint and relies on natural talent so I doubt training for an omnium would have adversely affected him. 3-4 years ago he'd have walked it but he's just past his best now.

He might not train his sprint but he would usually be racing these sorts of distances from February onwards and trained over winter for that whereas this season he's been training to race on the track. Therefore he's less likely to be as fresh to sprint at top speed after 200km.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    In other news Greipel outsprints Kittel and Gilbert wins big in Belgium. Rojas rides away from the field in spain.

Cav took on too much work to get to the finish, Blythe with his next pre contract win. Kept his powder dry well. The tv broadcast of the british race was rubbish..