How can Kirby be stopped...

Comments

• adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Turfle wrote:
    Credit where it's due though, he did say he had a feeling Froome might try and win today. AND HE DID!!
    He also mentioned that he knows how often he talks about Reichenbach, I was amazed!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited June 2016
    Delete
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ducknumber1
    ducknumber1 Posts: 1,172
    Just watching football highlights, Jonathan Pearce making Carlton sound like some sort of super uber commentating master (I do like 50% or so of CKs work).
  • did find it strange yesterday when he said so and so asked just how big are the alps and he said ( over excitedly) well there is only really the Himalayas that are bigger?

Karakorum, Tian Shan . Andes , Sierra Nevada, Pamir, Caucasus, St Alias, Quionglai..... seemed odd for someone so travelled - the Madelaine is at 2000m which is a big boulder in some of those ranges
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,658
    You're surprised Kirby is factually wrong?
  • You're surprised Kirby is factually wrong?

perhaps he was going to use it for one of his abstract links

The alps are big , but Aru is trying to be bigger in this race, he needs to make molehills out of mountains, now mole of toad hall is going to hit a big peak, the peak of his season, seasonal good wishes to all those climbing this bit mountain, only a bit less than K2, on P2 is Landa, if Grivko can Lenda hand to Aru perhaps this will be his Everest

It could be a dusty bin or it could be a paraglider 3 2 1

321_tedinaudience.jpg
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    "I don't watch motorsport so I don't know if his knowledge is any better there but it's pitiful where cycling is concerned."

Well he used to do Motogp and World super bikes and he was shit at that too,,,,
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    oldbazza wrote:
    "I don't watch motorsport so I don't know if his knowledge is any better there but it's pitiful where cycling is concerned."

Well he used to do Motogp and World super bikes and he was shoot at that too,,,,

He's enthusiastic but that only works for so long.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    narbs wrote:

it was a lot better IMO, because he has longer history in motorsport so knows more of the people/stories/background and could do on the fly translation from umpteen different languages which used to be THE job qualification for Eurosport,but he never did race commentary as such like end of stage stuff in cycling, it was always highlight packaged bits where his ability to ramble and link the gaps was better suited.

and he used to do alot of the LeMans coverage for Eurosport/MotorsTv, usually the filler bits in the dead of night where you had one locked off pitlane camera and some ropey onboard camera, so you had to fill the time with stories about which driver or team boss you'd met down the pub, or your escapades driving some rented car to the track, because there wasnt anything to look at and occasionaly provide an update on who was in the lead or the pits.

but yeah he doesnt do any of that anymore, because he's always doing the cycling commentating instead :evil: like next week, he'll be doing Tour de Suisse wont he instead of Le Mans,and Ned is doing the Womans Tour for ITV,
    Nice summary.
    As Professor David Duffield used to speak to Kirby and Harmon in the Paris Dungeon for up to date info that was not available at the commentry box. These two were capable of reading the ticker tapes about the latest Tour de France happenings.
    These guys would do "Highlight" programs for a whole range of Sports but mainly motoring and the Tour de France.
    Then Harmon got Duffield's job and he would talk for age's to the Dungeon (Kirby) about their BMW motor bike escapades, until Sean Kelly made a comment about the cycle race.
    So, all will be well when Kirby is back in the Dungeon Full Time because you can still hear him doing Highlights on other sports.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    deejay wrote:
    So, all will be well when Kirby is back in the Dungeon Full Time because you can still hear him doing Highlights on other sports.

As Kirby has been Eurosport's main cycling commentator since May 2013, I'd say it was optimistic to see him relegated to the dungeon any time soon!

I'll be bound!
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    Just listening to him doing the Velothon Wales voice over. It's almost exactly like the Alan Partridge episode where he does the voiceover for Hamilton's Water Breaks.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Excellent commentary on the final day of the Criterium. I listened trying to see see what it is the moaners don't like and it simpy wasn't there. The guy was first class as was his mate Matt.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    I was so glad that Pinot won on Saturday after Carlton Kirby and Matt Stephens had crawled so far up Bardets bottom, you would have thought that he had taken to flight. Don't get me wrong, I like Bardet plenty, but Kirby and Stephens were getting very silly.
  • Bo Duke
    They expressed their view (and agreed between themselves) Bardet was the stronger rider and should pull off the win. That's what commentators are paid for! Endless criticism!
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • rick_chasey
    Not that it should bother you, but I do make a mental note of people who like Kirby to remind myself that the rest of their comments will likely be ill informed.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Not that it should bother you, but I do make a mental note of people who like Kirby to remind myself that the rest of their comments will likely be ill informed.

You sound like Digger.
  • Bo Duke
    Rick, we're all aware of your character flaws, don't worry.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    could be worse, could be Anthony Mccrossan or whatever his name is. that guy makes Kirby look and sound good.
  • rick_chasey
    Joelsim wrote:

You sound like Digger.

latest?cb=20150707174558
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Bo Duke wrote:
    They expressed their view (and agreed between themselves) Bardet was the stronger rider and should pull off the win. That's what commentators are paid for! Endless criticism!

I generally like them both. But they did get a bit over excited on this occasion.
  • deejay
    My Gauge for commentators is the amount of time spent on "MUTE".
    The longest being Kirby with Magnus and they are followed by Kirby and whoever or when Quigley gets overbearing.
    I did enjoy the Giro Italia with Hatch & Kelly, as Hatch translates the passing Banners or flags, as he names the variety of moves and names those riders doing the action.
    Now that I find interesting.
  • deejay
    Bo Duke wrote:
    They had me in stitches of amusement whenever I listened because I had money on Pinot and assesed his tactics to slowly catch Bardet and beat him.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Kirby is a David Brent type character. And I also understand the Alan Partridge comparison.

You can tell from the tone in his voice (as well as the fact that he often laughs out loud at his own jokes) that he thinks his constant anecdotes and aphorisms are hilarious and yet profound and sage at the same time.

But even that would be forgivable if he was knowledgeable about cycling. But he isn't. He often stumbles across 3 or 4 different names in trying to identify someone and most of the time he doesn't really understand what's happening. Several times a rider has sped up just to take his turn on the front and he'll say something like "and here comes the attack!"

I don't know why Eurosport persist with him when the likes of Hatch and Quigley can do a much better job.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    he's cheap? and local to the studio?
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    The copyright travails of the small swiss village of champagne related today on the tour de suisse really reminded me of the heyday of phil and paul. When it comes to aimless chatter to fill the minutes I prefer the tourist info / pr to carlton kirby's anecdotage and poor jokes
  • deejay
    philbar72 wrote:
    he's cheap? and local to the studio?
    Certainly is, because at the moment you can hear him on the "Le Mans 24 Hour Motor race for the next few hours while they practice. The big boys will take over for the race proper.
    So being local to Eurosport Issy-les-Moulineaux HQ they have an adaptable cheap multi sport mouthpiece at the ready
    We deserve better for cycle racing.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Just sitting back enjoying quali at Le Mans and who should come along and ruin it....

All of the other commentators are very knowledgable and then there's Kirby. That's the problem with him for me, to the viewer with little knowledge of what they are watching he's probably a great commentator but to anyone with even a bit of understanding it's far too easy to see through the BS he uses to mask his own lack of understanding.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Commentary seems that little more authentic when they are on site rather than sitting in a business park in the shadow of Heathrow. e.g. Tour de Suisse yesterday when Declan Q mentioned the quality of roads on run-up as they'd driven over them getting to finish line. They had them out at the race last year as well iirc.
  • Allez Mark
    Allez Mark Posts: 364
    TDF coverage.
    Carlton Kirby and Sean Kelly will provide live commentary. Tour de France Extra will be broadcast immediately before and after each stage, hosted by Ashley House and former Team Sky rider Juan Antonio Flecha.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Just sitting back enjoying quali at Le Mans and who should come along and ruin it....

All of the other commentators are very knowledgable and then there's Kirby. That's the problem with him for me, to the viewer with little knowledge of what they are watching he's probably a great commentator but to anyone with even a bit of understanding it's far too easy to see through the BS he uses to mask his own lack of understanding.

as Ive said before he knows alot more about motorsport than cycling, and his style is perfectly suited to the late night runs at Le Mans because you have to chat about nothing to fill time