How can Kirby be stopped...

Comments

• mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Poll it's been mentioned on here plenty of times.

Google is your friend. BR is not the place to discuss that for boring lawyer reasons.

Others, please don't respond.

Ah sorry remember some chatter on here and twitter but nothing definitive.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,661
    Today's Carlton classic was on seeing Poels go out the back 'don't forget some people were tipping him to win overall'. The only person I've heard suggest that Poels was a GC contender was Kirby himself, everyone else realises Poels is a domestique for Froome.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    His suggestion that Gougeard might sit up and wait for the group that was 1 minute 10 seconds behind him, and only 10 seconds ahead of the peloton was the lowlight for me
  • mcstumpy
    mcstumpy Posts: 298
    McStumpy wrote:
    I like him

I like him too. Yes, he's often wrong. But, he entertains me, not necessarily in the way eurosport intend, but I enjoy his commentary.

You enjoy being told the wrong thing?

You enjoy hearing vacuous aphorisms that mean nothing repeated over and over again?

Ticks all my boxes. I was weaned on Murray walker
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I like Kirby usually but he was awful today. Him and Stephens were both dropped very early.

And his infatuation with Alaphilippe, Reichenbach and Clarke is wearing thin. The former as a Tour candidate, Clarke for MSR and Reichenbach for anything.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    cant even get away from him on ITV4 as hes taken over the Tour Series now
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,236
    Jimmy Saville was apparently "liked" by the public until the Louis Theroux doc when pretty much everyone agreed they didn't like him and couldn't understand his popularity, despite the charidee work. Then it turns out he wasn't particularly popular like, say, David Attenborough: he was popular like The Birdie Song, Eurovision Song Contest and Carry On films. Producers understood his limitations as a presenter but thought he was a man who spoke for, and to, the common people.

I'm all for Carlton K doing his bit for charity by doing his commentary in sign language.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    What annoys me about Kirby is that he takes what he reads on twitter as fact without evening bothering to check up on it.

Hate how he alwas calls the end of every race a dust up, punch up or other words like that.

For someone that commentates on cycling all the time his also doesnt seem to know much about the sport either.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    I see the annual 'lets get Kirby' sporting event has started... who's our next hate figure?
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Haydn1
    Haydn1 Posts: 25
    I'm not his biggest fan but please... comparing him to Jimmy Saville..
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I like him

Me too, big fan of his. Always makes me chuckle, his quote yesterday as xxx crossed the line about his smile cracking mirrors was a classic.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    McStumpy wrote:

Ticks all my boxes. I was weaned on Murray walker
    He ticks all our boxes too, for Car and Motor bike racing because the box he can't tick is full of Bull Shyte, instead of Cycle Racing
    I think he would fit well as a replacement to Noddy Walker and his audience who don't understand cycle racing but they do understand Kirby or Walker.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    Well, I like all of the Eurosport commentators and like the variety of approaches to covering the races. OTOH, I find the ITV4 combo of Millar and Boulting to be inert, bordering on the boring. In any event, it is all a luxury of choice and availability compared to what was on offer not so may years ago.
  • Turfle
    "Don't be surprised if Cav tries to win this bunch sprint".
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    cq20 wrote:
    Well, I like all of the Eurosport commentators and like the variety of approaches to covering the races. OTOH, I find the ITV4 combo of Millar and Boulting to be inert, bordering on the boring. In any event, it is all a luxury of choice and availability compared to what was on offer not so may years ago.

OK yes you have a point - be careful what you wish for and all that - I'll take Kirby over Ned Boulting any race of the season.

Still back to the job in hand - anyone else notice Kirby has a habit during the climax of a race to finish one of his rants with "here we go" as if that takes the place of a full stop.

I think it might be a signal for apprentice bullshitter Stephens to take up the reigns whilst Kirby has a shot of adrenaline and few breaths of pure oxygen before getting back on the mic to crank it up to 11.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • joelsim
    Kirby is very keen, and I'd much rather have someone excitable than someone dull.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Bo Duke wrote:
    I see the annual 'lets get Kirby' sporting event has started... who's our next hate figure?
    Craig David.

Craig-David-in-Israel.jpg
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Don't hate him, just wish he wouldn't do commentator cliché: the race is coming to a conclusion so he revs up his excitement, which is fine if it is all kicking off. I remember shouting like a proper sports fan (TM) when Cavendish won the road champs. But there are times when the race is won without too much excitement - so maybe a more restrained commentary would be more appropriate. He doesn't need to blow a gasket at the end of every race.

I do expect a commentator to be accurat, it is their job after all. I'm sure it is difficult - I have more respect for Ned B when he says I think that is xxxx, difficult to make out, then clarifies when possible .

I can forgive the verbal distractions, at times, as he is expected to fill hours of space with his voice. I find talking all day absolutely draining (I occasionally have to deliver courses at work), much more draining than a hard physical day.

So on the whole, a voice with character - some voices don't lend themselves to commentaryy, CK's does. Lose the comedy act with Stephens, be excited when it is exciting, and accept that it is okay to be quiet (races regularly look amazing because of the scenery).
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    Don't hate him, just wish he wouldn't do commentator cliché: the race is coming to a conclusion so he revs up his excitement, which is fine if it is all kicking off. I remember shouting like a proper sports fan (TM) when Cavendish won the road champs. But there are times when the race is won without too much excitement - so maybe a more restrained commentary would be more appropriate. He doesn't need to blow a gasket at the end of every race.

I do expect a commentator to be accurat, it is their job after all. I'm sure it is difficult - I have more respect for Ned B when he says I think that is xxxx, difficult to make out, then clarifies when possible .

I can forgive the verbal distractions, at times, as he is expected to fill hours of space with his voice. I find talking all day absolutely draining (I occasionally have to deliver courses at work), much more draining than a hard physical day.

So on the whole, a voice with character - some voices don't lend themselves to commentaryy, CK's does. Lose the comedy act with Stephens, be excited when it is exciting, and accept that it is okay to be quiet (races regularly look amazing because of the scenery).

I'm surprised he has a gasket to blow at the end of a race - he's normally exploding at km0.

I don't watch motorsport so I don't know if his knowledge is any better there but it's pitiful where cycling is concerned.
  • Pross
    ^^ Good summary.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    narbs wrote:
    I don't watch motorsport so I don't know if his knowledge is any better there but it's pitiful where cycling is concerned.

it was a lot better IMO, because he has longer history in motorsport so knows more of the people/stories/background and could do on the fly translation from umpteen different languages which used to be THE job qualification for Eurosport,but he never did race commentary as such like end of stage stuff in cycling, it was always highlight packaged bits where his ability to ramble and link the gaps was better suited.

and he used to do alot of the LeMans coverage for Eurosport/MotorsTv, usually the filler bits in the dead of night where you had one locked off pitlane camera and some ropey onboard camera, so you had to fill the time with stories about which driver or team boss you'd met down the pub, or your escapades driving some rented car to the track, because there wasnt anything to look at and occasionaly provide an update on who was in the lead or the pits.

but yeah he doesnt do any of that anymore, because he's always doing the cycling commentating instead :evil: like next week, he'll be doing Tour de Suisse wont he instead of Le Mans,and Ned is doing the Womans Tour for ITV,
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I like him

Me too, big fan of his. Always makes me chuckle, his quote yesterday as xxx crossed the line about his smile cracking mirrors was a classic.
    +1. Always enjoy his commentaries, he's human.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • I think he will be happy that he is provoking some reaction - Oscar Wilde and all that
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 214
    Sounds like he's just read this....
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Allez Mark wrote:
    Can someone tell me what a "rest bite" is?

A rest bite, is an egg-corn (Adam and Joe, circa 2008).
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Bo Duke wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I like him

+1. Always enjoy his commentaries, he's human.

He'll usually make me chuckle at least once but guarnateed if he get chance to call Uran "Mick Jagger". I can't recall him being paired up with Sean Kelly. That might be interesting.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,471
    edited June 2016
    I was shocked at the end of todays stage. I was certain alaphilipe would win. I was waiting for him to sprint around everyone, but it never happened.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • joelsim
    gsk82 wrote:
    I was shocked at the end of todays stage. I was certain alaphilipe didn't win. I was waiting for him to sprint around everyone, but it never happened.

Great value if you've got him at 1000/1 for the Tour.

:roll:
  • Pross
    gsk82 wrote:
    I was shocked at the end of todays stage. I was certain alaphilipe would win. I was waiting for him to sprint around everyone, but it never happened.

I got fed up hearing his name. I'm a big fan of Alaphilippe but part of me is hoping he gets dropped early tomorrow as I'm struggling to cope! The biggest problem is that he seems to have contaminated Stephens who I used to enjoy listening to.

My favourite comment today was the one about people often asking just how big the Alps are and then spouting about them being the highest peaks other than maybe the Himalayas :roll:
  • Turfle
    Credit where it's due though, he did say he had a feeling Froome might try and win today. AND HE DID!!