Flan's leaving do thread...

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    Singapore is very, very dull. Antigua for me please.
    The country may be a bit dull but the laydeez are not. Apparently.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,658
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Singapore is very, very dull. Antigua for me please.
    The country may be a bit dull but the laydeez are not. Apparently.

I liked Singapore. Spent a year there at client expense, which definitely helped. Honkers also good, Bangkok passable in the right part of town, but the rest of Asia... argh.

Never ever want to go to Manila, Jakarta, Taipei, Seoul, Kuala Lumpur again.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    What's wrong with Seoul? Apparently they have great Hookers there.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Wheelspinner
    Pinno wrote:

Not one of my judging criteria, sorry. Can't imagine any city that has that as a major claim to fame is going to be high on my list of places to go either.
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:

Not one of my judging criteria, sorry. Can't imagine any city that has that as a major claim to fame is going to be high on my list of places to go either.

You're not much of an Australian and you're definitely not a crudder are you ?
  • Wheelspinner
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

You're not much of an Australian and you're definitely not a crudder are you ?
    Pardon?
    - Despite the sig, I currently own 8 bikes. They're *all* MTB's because I can't ride roadies any more. I'm pretty crap on an MTB though, so maybe not a crudder either, but I still like to try.
    - I'm a middle-aged, happily partnered gay man, so the presence or lack of hookers in any town is not something I greatly care about. If you do, well and good. Am sure your other half and/or mother of Toots is thrilled you are so interested in the local prostitutes availability. FFS, this may be BB, but there are times posters on here make me despair for humanity. Pretend to grow up, just a little, eh? :roll:

While I'm in the mood, as an aside...
    [rant] There is nothing - ever- remotely funny or witty to be said about paedophiles. Jokes, caption competitions, nudge nudge references to Jimmy Saville, Rolf Harris, or any other convicted child-abusers are beyond sad. That's nothing to do with personal experience, but I do have (and had) several friends who suffered horrific treatment as children. Most of them attempted suicide, two succeeded. If any of you lot think it's a giggle subject, you are lower than a snake's ar$e. [/rant]
  • pinno
    Whoa wheelspinner. Easy.

Making silly (immature?) comments about the perpetrators of such acts simply denigrates the perpetrators even further, doesn't it?
    I have no problems with your sexual orientation. In fact it never crosses my mind.
    I have no problems with prostitution - I think it should be legalised universally (and there are plenty of gay prostitutes) so the inference wouldn't have to be simply male use of female prostitutes either. Because it is illegal, therein lies abuse. In countries where it is legal, prostitutes at least have the protection of the law.
    I could mention people who I knew and died of cancer. I could sit down with you and have a very serious conversation about people who were abused as a child, about drug addiction, mental health problems (often associated with abuse) - all people I have worked with for the past 11 years. My own father was a brutal b4stard - I can still joke about the c*nt, it's good therapy.
    I had a transvestite as a volunteer who wants to go the whole hog to being female - operation and all and receives so much abuse from the ignorant local populace and has even been beaten up. He (she?) is the most harmless of individuals although in a deep deep psychological and physical mess. One Friday night, he sought refuge with another volunteer who on the face of it was a bigoted, sexist and stereotypical male, when threatened and was accommodated until the inebriated lynch mob f*cked off home. So it goes to show, you never can tell.

The joking and banter in here (I don't think) bears any real resemblance to what the protagonists actually think and feel - we are all human, posses all the sensibilities, rationale and understanding of other human beings.
    However, this is BB. It can often be inane. For me it is the escape from the politically correct, the do gooders, the conformists, the people who judge you for the most benign of comments: you can't say this and you can't say that.
    I am not going to be disingenuous and say that I am a saint or that I do not have prejudices of my own nor am I bereft of hypocrisy and contradiction. I will never deliberately go out to cause offence (unless I feel that a person has provoked me or is called Mike Brew).

8 MTBs? That's just bloody silly.
  • Wheelspinner
    Don't worry Pinno, was only having a minor dig at you.

BB is indeed mostly inane cr@p, much of it offensive (to someone) and some of it quite funny. Won't argue with almost everything you wrote, but we'll have to disagree on your first point... to me, all the "jokes" do is trivialise the crime and the victims, and that's just not acceptable. Probably lost my sense of humour about it the day I was called to go with my mate's sister to identify what was left of him after he'd swallowed both barrels of a 12 gauge. She rang me, because I was the only other person who knew the real reason he'd done it.

8 bikes is entirely reasonable. I've cut back from double figures....
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    This thread has taken on a different tone.

Shall we start a debate about freedom of speech, the 'right' to take offence, the 'right' to cause offence?

Starter for 10. Frankie Boyle - sharply witty and humorous or outrageously offensive?
  • pinno
    Don't worry Pinno, was only having a minor dig at you.

You won't be the first or the last.
    ... to me, all the "jokes" do is trivialise the crime and the victims, and that's just not acceptable.

Ironical don't you think? I mean, (in the UK) culturally and institutionally it has become commonplace for people to come forward and report claims of abuse whereas, 10 years ago - indeed before Saville, there was fear in the victim and dismissal from the authorities. So we are now in an era where people are being prosecuted and it is now out in the open.
    Philosophically, it's no longer a skeleton in the closet or brushed under the carpet.
    Probably lost my sense of humour about it the day I was called to go with my mate's sister to identify what was left of him after he'd swallowed both barrels of a 12 gauge. She rang me, because I was the only other person who knew the real reason he'd done it.

Although tragic, I cannot anticipate someone's sensitivities to a particular matter. However, knowing that I would be empathetic to anyone who had to go through such an ordeal, you can separate the banter from the person?
    8 mountain bikes is entirely reasonable. I've cut back from double figures....

No it isn't.
  • pinno
    orraloon wrote:
    This thread has taken on a different tone.

Shall we start a debate about freedom of speech, the 'right' to take offence, the 'right' to cause offence?

Starter for 10. Frankie Boyle - sharply witty and humorous or outrageously offensive?

I blame it on the EU referendum.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    orraloon wrote:
    Both, simultaneously.
    Don't watch Frankie if easily offended. A basic principle. You know what to expect.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    PBlakeney wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    Both, simultaneously.

You sir, are expert at sitting on the fence.
    ...and two line responses :wink:
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    PBlakeney wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    Both, simultaneously.
    Don't watch Frankie if easily offended. A basic principle. You know what to expect.
    Agree.

However, should person A have a 'right' to take offence at what person B may say? "I take offence at what you say therefore you should not be allowed to say it."

What about this restrictive idea of safe space developing in some universities which censors debate, curtails freedom of speech?

Should Marine Le Pen or somesuch rabid extremist be allowed to enter a debate in which her views can be challenged as well as expressed? Or should some views (whose? Yours? Mine? His? Who says?) be suppressed?

Anyway, rain seems to have gone off so I'm getting outside off the interweb...
  • Stevo_666
    @ Spinner: 8 mountain bikes?

wayne.jpg

But there is one thing in your post above that fundamentally alters my view of you. You're middle aged :shock: :P Had you down as 30 something for some reason. I'd see that as a good sign if I were you :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    fuck me, this thread was only to help me fuck off
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • pblakeney
    orraloon wrote:
    However, should person A have a 'right' to take offence at what person B may say? "I take offence at what you say therefore you should not be allowed to say it."
    I am offended by the offence.
    Flâneur wrote:
    fark me, this thread was only to help me fark off
    Not bored enough yet?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Wheelspinner
    Stevo 666 wrote:

But there is one thing in your post above that fundamentally alters my view of you. You're middle aged :shock: :P Had you down as 30 something for some reason. I'd see that as a good sign if I were you :)

Yeah but only a couple of seriously good ones, and those are hardtails... :lol: I *like* riding uphill.

I'm older than you by some margin.
  • Wheelspinner
    orraloon wrote:

However, should person A have a 'right' to take offence at what person B may say?
    Absolutely yes.
    orraloon wrote:
    "I take offence at what you say therefore you should not be allowed to say it."

Absolutely no.
  • pblakeney
    orraloon wrote:

However, should person A have a 'right' to take offence at what person B may say?
    Absolutely yes.
    orraloon wrote:

Absolutely no.
    Absolute.
    Quality vodka.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Pooh - it's all turned awful fully dramatically hasn't it?

Has anyone any pictures of any norks that may just, just, provide an underlying subtext to all of this?

If no norks, then Pippa Middleton's bottom will do the job.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Blimey, this thread has taken a serious turn. Several points that don't need to be made, but I will anyway.
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    You're not middle aged then y'old git. :P
    Bizarrely if pushed I'd probably have said you were a fair chunk younger than that as well.
    orraloon wrote:

Absolutely yes.
    orraloon wrote:

Absolutely no.
    Totally agree on both points.
    Quite agree, I would love to have 8 or more. Does your pther half ride? That would make it easier I guess. My Mrs doesn't get the need for more bikes and although I have 3 bikes as a family of 4 we have a total of 9 bicycles and 2 unicycles. Unfortunately space is at a premium and I'd struggle to fit any more in anyway.
  • pinno
    Flâneur wrote:

They haven't got the internet in France?!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Yeah but only a couple of seriously good ones, and those are hardtails... :lol: I *like* riding uphill.

Just sold one of my MTBs in the classifieds so now down to 2. I feel ashamed somehow.

I think you may.be competing with me for most immature forumite for their age :) Most of my Sydney based mates are big kids really. As is my favourite ex girlfriend who is a Sydney girl. Pure coincidence?
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    Flâneur wrote:

We clearly aren't trying hard enough. He hasn't farked off yet.
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Flâneur wrote:

If he doesn't fark off soon, i'm going down with my van and we'll bundle him into the back of it and assist him in farking off.
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Flâneur wrote:

If he doesn't fark off soon, i'm going down with my van and we'll bundle him into the back of it and assist him in farking off.
    Get on with it !
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    a van, may as well be a crudder, if you do pass by please feel free to pick me and the bikes up tho
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • pinno
    Flâneur wrote:
    a van, may as well be a crudder, if you do pass by please feel free to pick me and the bikes up tho

You're going in the back. Date will sit up front with me. Van gets filled with beer and fags on way back. I'll convert the van into an ice cream vending enterprise to sell the fags/booze under cover.

Sorted.
  • Wheelspinner
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Quite agree, I would love to have 8 or more. Does your pther half ride? That would make it easier I guess. My Mrs doesn't get the need for more bikes and although I have 3 bikes as a family of 4 we have a total of 9 bicycles and 2 unicycles. Unfortunately space is at a premium and I'd struggle to fit any more in anyway.

Sorry V68, missed this..
    Other half does ride, local trails and the cafe runs in particular. Doesn't quite get the need another bike thing, but is more than happy to have the options available. Has realised the benefits of an in-house shopaholic and fettler... pilots an On One Scandal 29er, with XTR groupset, carbon bars, stem, post and Prologo saddle with carbon rails, on Stans Race Gold wheelset and big balloon tyres for extra comfort. It's a lollipop pink frame.. :D

Either that or the somewhat retro Cannondale full suspension thing that's next on my restoration list 8)

There's a bedroom currently fairly full of the "other" sports gear... golf clubs, tennis racquets, unused ski gear (snow and water), swim training stuff, and my collection of photography bits and pieces...

For a two person household, we have... a 4 b/r house with pool, 3 cars, 1 motorcycle, 8 bikes, and there was at one point a share in a water-ski boat that had a 289 ci V8 inboard motor, but that's now gone. The workshop is over-full, because I'm the resident carpenter/builder as well as bike fettler, and he's a (retired) aircraft engineer. Socket and spanner sets, torque wrenches, files, welding kit, drill press, slide compound mitre saw bench, concrete saw, jackhammers, rotary hammers, concrete mixer, drills, grinders, power circular saws, sabre saws, air compressor, 3 chainsaws (one is never enough), and if it's a powered garden tool we probably have at least one.

Moving house will be a ************ nightmare... :mrgreen: