Muhammed Ali

Comments

• MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    Pinno wrote:
    (I see you edited your post)
    Surely that's: 'No need for written confirmation'. The 'the' participle suggests an authority dishing out written warnings for idiocy. Would that possibly be you MB, after all you seem to be a much higher being than us mere mortals?

Not really, it's just that I - and probably very many other ordinary decent people - can see something that you few self absorbed twits very clearly can't, namely how egregious you're inane witterings are in this context . The thread was started to show respect. Of course you have a little axe to grind don't you our kid. :wink:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,459
    MikeBrew wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Surely that's: 'No need for written confirmation'. The 'the' participle suggests an authority dishing out written warnings for idiocy. Would that possibly be you MB, after all you seem to be a much higher being than us mere mortals?

Not really, it's just that I - and probably very many other ordinary decent people - can see something that you few self absorbed twits very clearly can't, namely how egregious you're inane witterings are in this context . The thread was started to show respect. Of course you have a little axe to grind don't you our kid. :wink:

?

What 'axe' exactly?

Let's see now...

"I - and probably very many other ordinary decent people". Well it is plainly obvious that you are not 'decent' and you are flattering yourself.

In what way are we 'self absorbed'? Paying respect, having a conversation about Ali and acknowledging that he had flaws is self absorbing?!

"...namely how egregious you're inane witterings are in this context..." You are so arrogant.

You are very comical too - keep going.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,737
    Pinno wrote:
    What 'axe' exactly?
    Planet Axe?
  • MikeBrew
    Teach wrote:
    The 'the' participle suggests an authority dishing out written warnings for idiocy.....You are very comical too - keep going

As comical as clearly demonstrating that you don't know what a particple, past, present or otherwise actually is, in the same sentence as mentioning "warnings of idiocy" ? Or was ' The "the" ' simply a stutter ? Priceless Teach, just priceless. I do so love a nice pseudo interlecchewtool.

Seriously though, look it up and leave the thread for those who want to demonstrate their respect, rather than their lack of decorum, questionable "wit" and poor grasp of English.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    MikeBrew wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Was it really? Where does it say that you can only post positives? Besides, I would have thought it shows a lack of respect getting the guy's name wrong.

http://muhammadali.com/
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,894
    MikeBrew wrote:
    Seriously though, look it up and leave the thread for those who want to demonstrate their respect, rather than their lack of decorum, questionable "wit" and poor grasp of English.
    Loving the irony of this discussion. Keep it up.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I've always thought that if your going to try and trash-talk other people for they're grammar you should pay a little attention to you're own. :-)
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    It's hardly Rumble In The Jungle is it? More....

giphy.gif
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    The man was a true sporting icon and was prepared to go to prison for his beliefs.

"The draft is about white people sending black people to fight yellow people to protect the country they stole from the red people"

R.I.P.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,870
    He also said “A black man should be killed if he’s messing with a white woman,” and inside and outside the ring he called black opponents “Uncle Toms”.

Cuts both ways.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,731
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Was it really? Where does it say that you can only post positives? Besides, I would have thought it shows a lack of respect getting the guy's name wrong.
    I'm still looking for where he posted his respects. Looks like he only came on here to slag people off for not posting what he expected them to.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • MikeBrew
    Ballysmate wrote:
    MikeBrew wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

http://muhammadali.com/
    To be fair, if you read the first post it's pretty clear that the guy who started the thread was being respectful. He simply mistakenly put an a where an e should be.
  • ballysmate
    The thread is called Muhammed (sic) Ali, and as such surely invites comments on the man. Yes he posted his respects. That doesn't mean that everyone that follows should automatically echo his sentiments does it?
  • MikeBrew
    Ballysmate wrote:
    The thread is called Muhammed (sic) Ali, and as such surely invites comments on the man. Yes he posted his respects. That doesn't mean that everyone that follows should automatically echo his sentiments does it?
    I suppose I think that if you've got negative things to say about someone who's just died, doing it before they are even in the ground is pretty crass.
  • ballysmate
    If someone has a negative thought about someone, that thought doesn't die when the subject dies does it? The thought is equally valid, dead or alive.
  • pblakeney
    MikeBrew wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I suppose I think that if you've got negative things to say about someone who's just died, doing it before they are even in the ground is pretty crass.
    Does that apply equally to Richard Huckle?
    Or is fake bereavement mandatory since Diana?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ballysmate
    MikeBrew wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

What is the accepted time limit?
  • MikeBrew
    Ballysmate wrote:
    If someone has a negative thought about someone, that thought doesn't die when the subject dies does it? The thought is equally valid, dead or alive.
    The sensibilities that I'm talking about are clearly totally alien to you. I'll leave it there as I can clearly see that I'd have more luck trying to teach a tree to yodel.
  • pblakeney
    edited June 2016
    MikeBrew wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    The sensibilities that I'm talking about are clearly totally alien to you. I'll leave it there as I can clearly see that I'd have more luck trying to teach a tree to yodel.
    Ah, go on.... Why give up so easy.
    I'm sure with the right angle through the branches and velocity, the wind could get a tree to sing.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • MikeBrew
    PBlakeney wrote:
    MikeBrew wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Hey Veronese68 gave the little lad a badge. Who's a clever little thing then :roll:
  • pblakeney
    MikeBrew wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    MikeBrew wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Hey Veronese68 gave the little lad a badge. :roll:
    Goodies!
    Last one I got was my cycling proficiency.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ballysmate
    MikeBrew wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Sensibilities? Someone starts a thread to discuss a person or his life and you get your ar5e in your hands because someone is not gushing enough in their praise. If someone has an opinion on someone, particularly a valid opinion, why can't they express it? In your world, how long before someone can express something negative about anyone deceased?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    MikeBrew wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Fair game to comment on the negative as well as the positive - if you read some of the tributes you'd think Ali was a God like figure whose beliefs were a template for us all to follow. It's not like showing up at his funeral and bad mouthing him.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    The guy's a flawed hero. There's no doubt he had his faults. To edit them shows a lack of respect IMHO. You've got to accept your hero with all his negatives and positives. Otherwise you'll just get a saccharin filled, Diana style farce where people get herded into false grief just to fit in with the media's mood music.

He was a wit and talent in a brutal and at times barbaric sport. He stood up against the draft like other unnamed individuals. However his fame and talent helped him recover from the consequences. How many took the same stance without the safety net of celebrity and sporting excellence in a sport obsessed nation? How many had their own lives destroyed never to recover? I wonder, but he's a celebrity so his stance lifts him to a saintly status. No! He's a talented boxer with wit. Perhaps the greatest certainly one of the greatest. that's all.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,801
    How far up your own backside can you get before losing the ability to use a computer keyboard?

Personally I find it bizarre that when someone dies there appears to be an unwritten rule that you can only say good things about them. Ali was a great boxer and made his points, right or wrong, on the civil rights issues of the day (I've never understood the suggestion that blacks were being used to fight the White man's war in Vietnam, it's disrespectful to the thousands of non-black people who died). However, the media as always overlook any negative side of the deceased.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,083
    Pross wrote:
    Personally I find it bizarre that when someone dies there appears to be an unwritten rule that you can only say good things about them. [...] However, the media as always overlook any negative side of the deceased.
    Actually, that's not quite true (or used not to be). The Independent, when it was a proper paper, broke the mould and started including authored obits that weren't just panegyrics, and got quite a bit of praise for it at the time. I've no idea if they still do, especially now it's turned into an online comic.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,459
    Warning: Way off topic but this is the place.

'Panegyrics'.

I say Trumpet old boy, that's a rich vocabulary you got there (if indeed a tad old fashioned). Is it commensurate with a certain era of jazz? i.e, as a Muso (and I know a few), does it fit a persona? I have a friend who is a Django* nut. He even has a Grappelli style side kick. I do like Django and he is brilliant but I haven't had the heart (or nerve) to suggest he lacks a little bit of soul.

Ducks and runs for cover.

*F*cking Google spellcheck doesn't recognise the first name of an icon.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,083
    Pinno wrote:
    Warning: Way off topic but this is the place.

'Panegyrics'.

I say Trumpet old boy, that's a rich vocabulary you got there (if indeed a tad old fashioned). Is it commensurate with a certain era of jazz? i.e, as a Muso (and I know a few), does it fit a persona?
    No idea. I just like the word.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Pross wrote:
    How far up your own backside can you get before losing the ability to use a computer keyboard?

Personally I find it bizarre that when someone dies there appears to be an unwritten rule that you can only say good things about them. Ali was a great boxer and made his points, right or wrong, on the civil rights issues of the day (I've never understood the suggestion that blacks were being used to fight the White man's war in Vietnam, it's disrespectful to the thousands of non-black people who died). However, the media as always overlook any negative side of the deceased.

Maybe it is because in the early years a black American was twice as likely to die in Vietnam as a white person.
    Maybe they also noticed that all the political and military leaders were white.

I am sure there are many plausible explanations for these two anomalies but you can see why it could lead people to think that black Americans were being used to fight a white man's war