Engerlaaand!

Comments

• mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Lookyhere wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    I must have watched a different game to the pundits and news reports. Having over 60% counts for absolutely nothing in football and so it proved. I thought the game plan of Woy was to play at an English Prem Lge pace. But every attack was at walking pace. I've seen faster octogenarians on zimmer frames on the cliff tops at Barton on Sea.

No pace.
    No ideas.
    Poor final ball.
    Very poor crossing.

Same old same.

why is anyone surprised ?

Beats me. This is exactly the kind of dross I've come to expect from England at every tournament. And yet I still waste 90 mins of my life swearing at the telly.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Anyone else concerned that Dier went down with some kind of bonk after around 70 minutes of walking pace football? Not sure it says much for the team nutritionist... if they even have one.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,700
    Anyone else watching Croatia Portugal?

113minutes so far and not a single shot on target by either side.

ZZZZZZZZZZzzzz
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    oh. my. god.2-1 down against Iceland
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,687
    4kicks wrote:
    oh. my. god.2-1 down against Iceland
    The week just gets better and better.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    I love how an advert comes on at half time with Joe Hart bigging himself up after what he's just done. Great timing.
  • Quins
    Quins Posts: 239
    Perfect timing wasn't it. This so pants to watch. You can just feel the rest of Europe and the Celtic nations p1ssing their pants. England doing a proper brexit of the Euros. Hart needs £350m per week on goal keeping practice. Don't care if he just stopped that overhead kick....
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    When we voted to get out of Europe, I hadn't realised we were talking about the football.
    Wales now the top football team in the UK.
    Strange old week.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    Worst I've ever seen England play.
  • verylonglegs
    I would like to say well played to Iceland however.
  • rick_chasey
    It wasn't hard for them.

I would say England played so badly they'd be beaten by a bunch of amateurs, but they literally were...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,551
    So now it's time for all those England supporters who over the years told supporters of the other home nations 'get behind England, we'd get behind you if the roles were reversed' to put their words into action. I suspect a IDS style 'no we didn't actually say that, what we said was we'd watch them play. Nothing about supporting them' ;)
  • verylonglegs
    Oh they were beyond bad no doubt. Couldn't even make basic 5-10yd passes or move for each other. Lacking Stewart Pearce, Paul Ince and Tony Adams type characters on the pitch imo.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,551
    Roy now doing a Cameron.
  • verylonglegs
    Pross wrote:
    Roy now doing a Cameron.

Maybe they could swap roles, Roy knows how to plan an exit from the Euro.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    England still have a team left in the competition.
    Poland.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    The shortlist of candidates to weplace Woy fills me with dread. Even slimmer pickings than Corbyn's next shadow cabinet.

Southgate? Pardew? Rodgers? Neville? I fear plenty more years of hurt await.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    Wonder if Eddie Jones could be persuaded to have a crack at managing the footy team too.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    God, what a depressing week. We've become the laughing stock of Europe. Out of the EU, out of the Euros, Glasto headlined by Adele. Up to the cyclists to restore a bit of pride in France.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,509
    viral.jpg
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • finchy
    Cracking comment under the Guardian's coverage - 'Knocked out of the Euros by Iceland, knocked out of Europe by people who shop at Iceland.'
  • verylonglegs
    finchy wrote:
    Cracking comment under the Guardian's coverage - 'Knocked out of the Euros by Iceland, knocked out of Europe by people who shop at Iceland.'

I tried not to laugh but couldn't resist in the end.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,775
    MrB123 wrote:
    The shortlist of candidates to weplace Woy fills me with dread. Even slimmer pickings than Corbyn's next shadow cabinet.

Southgate? Pardew? Rodgers? Neville? I fear plenty more years of hurt await.
    In answer to the original question I replied nope. I repeated that a game later.
    I would have repeated that tonight but that list is horrendous beyond nightmares.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Not so much Engerland more like Engercrash!!!!!

Life outside the EU will be tough.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Out of Europe twice inside a week. I reckon the French would have preferred to play our shower of sh1t3 than Iceland.

Anyhow that is the very last England football match I ever watch. Always the same. Breeze through the qualifiers and play utter bo11ox at the tournament.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    I want to blame the players, after all it was they that couldn't pass, dribble, head, tackle, think, etc, etc. And Woy is a genuinely decent man.

But just look at England's rugby union team: a year ago, under Lancaster, useless, clueless and most of all soft. Now look at them: largely the same players, not really more skilled, but drilled, ruthless and above all nasty.

So it seems the right manager is key. England's football team needs a manager they're all shit scared of. Not sure who that is, but I suspect not Southgate

Edit: forgot the England team's inability to shoot, at least accurately
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    We will wake up tomorrow morning to find some Iceland shops have been vandalised

We absolutely will.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    crispybug2 wrote:
    We will wake up tomorrow morning to find some Iceland shops have been vandalised

We absolutely will.

They need to pull the plug on that kind of behaviour. :oops:

Sent home by Iceland! Well I suppose they've got their country back.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    BigAl wrote:
    I want to blame the players, after all it was they that couldn't pass, dribble, head, tackle, think, etc, etc. And Woy is a genuinely decent man.

But just look at England's rugby union team: a year ago, under Lancaster, useless, clueless and most of all soft. Now look at them: largely the same players, not really more skilled, but drilled, ruthless and above all nasty.

So it seems the right manager is key. England's football team needs a manager they're all shoot scared of. Not sure who that is, but I suspect not Southgate

Edit: forgot the England team's inability to shoot, at least accurately

similar with the cricket team, under Peter Moores the England team seemed to forget which end to hold the bat or how to bowl, under Trevor Bayliss, same team suddenly transformed into a much stronger team.

I dont know, Hodgson seems to have particularly fallen apart in this tournament and become more reckless or less organised, the qualifiers were all fine,even the friendlies mostly, and you normally expect teams to struggle 1st game and then build as they get used to what they need to do under tournament conditions, whereas England if the only plan you have is chuck as many forwards on the pitch and hope and err thats it I dont understand that, or how they can play so badly,did Harry Kane have a shot on target ?

and who as an England manager goes into a game against Iceland with a pre-prepared resignation speech ?, the FA are claiming he wrote that in the time it took to walk off the pitch watch another Joe Hart Head & Shoulders advert and pop up at the press conference,. hold on Wayne cant talk about the game just writing my thoughts on a napkin...

you know when even Alan Shearer thinks hes got a good chance at being manager of England they are screwed
  • finchy
    In circumstances like that, I really would want Barkley to come on. I know he's occasionally naive, but he's also the midfielder most likely to pick a defence apart or knock it in from 30 yards.