No more Phil and Paul on ITV4

Comments

• chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300
    Not getting the Rob Hatch criticism at all - think he's a breath of fresh air as a commentator - good rider ID skills, engaging and interesting, and generally reads races very well.
    And as a fellow collosal linguistic pedant, his insistence on actually pronouncing names correctly only endears him further.
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    chrisday wrote:
    Not getting the Rob Hatch criticism at all - think he's a breath of fresh air as a commentator - good rider ID skills, engaging and interesting, and generally reads races very well.
    And as a fellow collosal linguistic pedant, his insistence on actually pronouncing names correctly only endears him further.

+1
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Kittel should be Kitt-ell, rather than Kittle if we are being pedantic for @robhatchtv

Can't have it both ways :roll:

Although the number of different pronunciations of Kruijswijk I've heard over the last couple of weeks, the very worst being Lionel Birnie's "Cruisewick".

I think it should be "Kruushvieyk" or similar having been out with a Dutchie a few years back.
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    Joelsim wrote:
    Although the number of different pronunciations of Kruijswijk I've heard over the last couple of weeks, the very worst being Lionel Birnie's "Cruisewick".

They had a Dutch journalist on this week who told them the correct pronunciation, I think it's something like Krooshvegg.

Lionel's continual use of 'pronounciation' is really winding me up mind.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,090
    narbs wrote:

They had a Dutch journalist on this week who told them the correct pronunciation, I think it's something like Krooshvegg.

Get out.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,405
    Kruis rhymes with mouse

Wijk rhymes with bike
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • joelsim
    ddraver wrote:
    Kruis rhymes with mouse

Wijk rhymes with bike

New nickname.

Steven 'Mouse Bike' Kruijswijk
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    narbs wrote:

Get out.

Yeah, my memory could be wrong!
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    istockphoto_11885963-stunt-mouse-quick-breaking-bicycle-trick-foot-tire-skid-white-background.jpg

Even has pink wheels.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    But if he pronounced it "Rojjer Kloog" then Roger Kluge wouldn't know who he was talking about, because that's not how you say his name

I didn't realise he was watching Eurosport! Busy guy!
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    This is joyous news.
    Liggett might well have been 'the voice of cycling ' but that's not to say the voice has been in any way informative, insightful, intelligent or entertaining.
    Good riddance.

I agree - dinosaurs the pair of them. I happen to like Kirby, he fills the boring bits with humorous chatter which is much better than no commentary at all. Try it to see what I mean.

Millar and Matt Stephens are my favourites for insightful knowledge.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,675
    Joelsim wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Kruis rhymes with mouse

Wijk rhymes with bike

New nickname.

Love this!
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,675
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    chrisday wrote:

+1

+2

Hatch has been my favourite commentator for a couple of years now. He's as good as Harmon used to be at rider identification, although Harmon used to add a helpful identifying feature i.e "Kruiswijk with his wide shoulders"

The Holy Grail for commentators must be identifying which Yates twin it is
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,090
    Quite easy now. Just look for the one who is riding.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,751
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    chrisday wrote:

+1

+2

Hatch has been my favourite commentator for a couple of years now. He's as good as Harmon used to be at rider identification, although Harmon used to add a helpful identifying feature i.e "Kruiswijk with his wide shoulders"

The Holy Grail for commentators must be identifying which Yates twin it is

Yes Hatch is good, really professional, the only tiny criticism I'd make is his style is almost so professional you are aware he's in commentator mode whereas Harmon managed to combine professionalism with sounding like he was being himself which on a long stage just adds a bit, helps connect to the audience.

That said the longer Hatch is the number one the more that might develop, I like his running joke about the "podium girls" being a step back in time partly because I agree with him but it's also a bit of his own personality and opinion but done with a light touch.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • joelsim
    Joelsim wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Kruis rhymes with mouse

Wijk rhymes with bike

New nickname.

Love this!

Steven Crashbike
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,180
    On the topic on pronunciations, I notice in the latest podcast Km0 Songezo Jim says 'Qhubeka' with a click of the tongue at the beginning. I will expect Hatch to do the same.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:
    On the topic on pronunciations, I notice in the latest podcast Km0 Songezo Jim says 'Qhubeka' with a click of the tongue at the beginning. I will expect Hatch to do the same.

As long as he gets the right click

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xhosa_language
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,912
    Have Eurosport been listening?
    Much, much better coverage today.
    The climbs free of ad breaks; even the first, significant part of the Agnello descent.
    There seemed to be far few interruptions compared to the past couple of days, which were almost ruined by the incessant interruptions.

Hatch?
    While a billion trillion times better to listen to than that giggling buffoon Kirby, has seemed a quite tactically naive on a number of occasions and I don't think his rider IDing is all it's being cracked up to be, on here.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Hatch?
    While a billion trillion times better to listen to than that giggling buffoon Kirby, has seemed a quite tactically naive on a number of occasions and I don't think his rider IDing is all it's being cracked up to be, on here.
    I agree with your Chuckles Kirby and I would throw Harmon in the same bin although Sean Kelly was bringing him along the knowlege trail nicely. So now Hatch is the the best since Professor David Duffield departed and left the comentators with his dictionary of cycle race sayings that they still use.
    I noted on stage 18 (Yesterday) that Hatch was saying Mosier while Sean used the regular Moser.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I've noticed Hatch has made a few rider ID errors lately but he's always happy to correct himself. I think he has a good reputation for IDing riders because he's 100 times better than Kirby who seems to do no research and appears happy to exist in blissful ignorance.

Hatch is by far the best cycling commentator working at the moment. I think it's a good thing that he tries to pronounce riders' names correctly, again in stark contrast to Kirby who prefers to make a joke of getting names wrong. I think he was called out on this at the Tour of California, when he was questioning how anyone could know how to pronounce the name of stage winner Toms Skujiņš. Brian Smith told him he'd said the same thing when Skujiņš had won a stage the previous year...
    Shipley wrote:
    I happen to like Kirby, he fills the boring bits with humorous chatter which is much better than no commentary at all. Try it to see what I mean.
    The only reason I leave the sound on when Carlton is commentating is for an idea of what's happening on the road. Really not a fan of his "no dead air" local radio type approach. I've actually given up watching some of the smaller races when he's been commentating.
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    thegibdog wrote:
    Hatch is by far the best cycling commentator working at the moment.

I think you might be right. His pronunciations might be a little annoying occasionally but overall, he is very good. Works well with Sean Kelly too.

Carlton Kirby may not be everyone's cup of tea but compare coverage of cycling now compared with 30 years ago. We could never have dreamed we would have the level of coverage that we enjoy now. Even if Kirby is commentating on a particular race, we truly are spoiled and have much to be thankful for.

DD.
  • argyllflyer
    thegibdog wrote:
    Hatch is by far the best cycling commentator working at the moment. I think it's a good thing that he tries to pronounce riders' names correctly, again in stark contrast to Kirby who prefers to make a joke of getting names wrong. I think he was called out on this at the Tour of California, when he was questioning how anyone could know how to pronounce the name of stage winner Toms Skujiņš. Brian Smith told him he'd said the same thing when Skujiņš had won a stage the previous year...

Not saying you're wrong that Kirby rejoices in idiocy, but he didn't do ToC last year as he was doing Giro for world feed. It was Quigley.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Not saying you're wrong that Kirby rejoices in idiocy, but he didn't do ToC last year as he was doing Giro for world feed. It was Quigley.
    Fair enough. I obviously let my dislike of Kirby affect my interpretation of the discussion!
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 214
    I watched the last few days of the Giro in Spain on TDP. No adverts and I couldn't understand a word of commentary. The pictures spoke for themselves and it was perfect and equally thrilling.
  • I'll concede ground on Hatch, he is not too bad. However I think Boulting and Millar are easily the most professional combo, as evidenced in Itv4 coverage today.
    Did anyone hear that buffoon Kirby commentating on the sprint finish? You can hear Kelly's embarrassment at the idiotic screaming tripe he has to supplement.
    I'm sorry but anyone who likes CK cannot be an astute velo watcher.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Ned Boulting, with the best will in the world, is a journalist rather than a commentator. He struggles at the sharp end of the race.

I don't give a toss about that though (and will argue that he's getting better with practice, just as he became a better presenter), because Boulting brings the best out of Millar - neither of them can describe a chateau properly, but between them they'll damn well explain what's happening on the road and why.
  • Ned Boulting, with the best will in the world, is a journalist rather than a commentator. He struggles at the sharp end of the race.

I don't give a toss about that though (and will argue that he's getting better with practice, just as he became a better presenter), because Boulting brings the best out of Millar - neither of them can describe a chateau properly, but between them they'll damn well explain what's happening on the road and why.

Contrasting P&P vs N&D chateau-talk yday: Sherwan reads straight off the blurb, whereas N&D sound like they'd quite like to go and have a look at the gaff
  • argyllflyer
    Hearing CK so often, it's nice to have a choice this time around. P&P weren't much of an improvement.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Ned Boulting and David Millar are excellent I think, Millar just seems to know exactly what's going on all the time. I liked Phil and Paul too but the new guard are doing a good job so far.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"