No more Phil and Paul on ITV4

ic.
ic. Posts: 769
edited September 2016 in Pro race
David Millar said last night that he and Ned Boulting will be commentating the whole Tour for ITV4 this year.
2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
Boardman CX Team - sold
Cannondale Synapse - broken
Cube Streamer - stolen
Boardman Road Comp - stolen

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Hurrah!

13124790_1203353773021830_4357289602653847239_n.jpg?oh=3699c5b0adc3d628bf44c03da9466aed&oe=57E36522
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    Makes no difference, it is un-watchable, with 50% adverts, 25% TdF jingle and 25% of actual race
    left the forum March 2023
  • markhewitt1978
    Makes no difference, it is un-watchable, with 50% adverts, 25% TdF jingle and 25% of actual race

I never watch the TDF highlights programme 'live', just no point. Even if it means watching The One Show until 7.15 then I can watch without being interrupted by adverts.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,900
    Ok. Who's gonna tell Ned he's ok but he would do everyone a favour including himself if he speaks more slowly?
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    I think he's trying to match DM, but I do like Ned.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    he would do everyone a favour including himself if he speaks more slowly?

+1

Cycling commentators need to more cricket and less footy.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • markhewitt1978
    maddog 2 wrote:
    he would do everyone a favour including himself if he speaks more slowly?

+1

Cycling commentators need to more cricket and less footy.

I miss Duffers :)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,169
    That's a big move by ITV. In one way or another I've watched 30 Tours with P+P. They're gone downhill, but hey so have I.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,347
    Still taking jobs from clean athletes.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Ned's getting better, Millar has decent insight.

Kirby is Murray Walker, which I like, and Hatch is growing on me, although some of his pronunciations annoy me a bit. I know he's trying to pronounce things correctly, for example Hermans as 'airmon' but if that's the case then he should call Michael Matthews 'moychle ma tthews'
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    Boulting just needs more practice at the boring bits so this can only be good. Millar's insight is great so this is a partnership worth sticking with I reckon!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,206
    Will also be interesting to see if Daniel Friebe is taking over the Matt Rendell role at the Tour like he did at the Tour of Yorkshire
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    Hopefully Carlton will take the summer to recuperate as well.

Ned and Dai for ITV and Hatch and Kelly for Eurosport would be a nice choice to have.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,568
    narbs wrote:

Ned and Dai for ITV and Hatch and Kelly for Eurosport would be a nice choice to have.

^ This absolutely...
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,617
    Happy with Ned and Dave.

Happy to see the back of Phil and Paul!

I only have Eurosport via an iPhone app/Apple TV which means I can't easily follow on Twitter etc at the the same time, so I choose ITV4 for coverage when I'm at home.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Fabulous news. And not before time.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    narbs wrote:

He's already back commentating on 4 Days of Dunkerque.....
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    SheffSimon wrote:
    narbs wrote:

Phil n Paul, Armstrongs personal a*** kissers, hould have been put out to grass when Armstrong stopped.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,890
    edited May 2016
    SheffSimon wrote:
    narbs wrote:

He's also doing the Azerbaijan highlights. Both alongside Maggie Backstedt, who gets his co slot more often than not, these days.
    He seems to share his sense of humour, which means their commentaries sound like a couple of young girls on a sleep over: all giggles and shrieks. A fecking awful assault on the eardrums.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,890
    Double post. Why can't we simple have a remove post option?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 214
    Cant understand all the negativity towards them and the constant adverts aren't their fault.
    Will always be the voices of the TDF
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Back in the day Phil was a great commentator and the voice of cycling but he's past it now. Should have gone 10 years ago really but I don't have the hatred for him that others seem to have.
  • kingstongraham
    EPC06 wrote:
    Cant understand all the negativity towards them and the constant adverts aren't their fault.
    Will always be the voices of the TDF

Some of it might be down to this kind of thing way after it was reasonable: http://www.velonation.com/news/id/12763 ... ribed.aspx

For me it's the fact that after all that time, he still never worked out how to pronounce maillot jaune. Or anything else.

Still think they are the best voices for a climbing stage, as long as you aren't relying on them to get any of the calls right, but Kelly is the man for three hours on the flat.
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    He's also doing the Azerbaijan highlights. Both alongside Maggie Backstedt, who gets his co slot more often than not, these days.
    He seems to share his sense of humour, which means their commentaries sound like a couple of young girls on a sleep over: all giggles and shrieks. A fecking awful assault on the eardrums.

Backstedt is fast becoming the Jonathan Davies of cycling commentary - a fine participant but no appreciation that their sport has moved on since their retirement.
  • DL1987
    DL1987 Posts: 204
    narbs wrote:

Backstedt is fast becoming the Jonathan Davies of cycling commentary - a fine participant but no appreciation that their sport has moved on since their retirement.

I eagerly await a "Numbers left!" shout from Maggy.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    I like Ned Boulting as far as he seems like a decent type and he's not a bad presenter but as a commentator he's not my cup of tea. I'm not a fan of his ordinary man off the street style nor of the ITV approach of treating the audience as if they've never watched a bike race before.

Good luck to them though, I would be sticking with Eurosport anyway just because the ad breaks are shorter. Not sorry to see the back of Liggett he took his 30 pieces of silver long after he knew what Armstrong was, no I don't expect the commentators to start accusing riders on air but Liggett became cheerleader in chief for Armstrong so good riddance.

Liggett, Duffers, Harmon - one past it, one sadly no longer with us and one no longer employable - still waiting for someone to step up and fill their shoes.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kingstongraham
    Not sorry to see the back of Liggett he took his 30 pieces of silver long after he knew what Armstrong was, no I don't expect the commentators to start accusing riders on air but Liggett became cheerleader in chief for Armstrong so good riddance.

Maybe one of the new commentators could give some insight into which rides are not believable.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,900
    I would but my voice is too droney/foghorn
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,956
    I like Ned Boulting as far as he seems like a decent type and he's not a bad presenter but as a commentator he's not my cup of tea. I'm not a fan of his ordinary man off the street style nor of the ITV approach of treating the audience as if they've never watched a bike race before.

I like the Millar/Boutling pairing, however their weaknesses are badly exposed in the last 5k or so of flat stages.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    I'd maybe consider Eurosport an option if they did subtitles, but as it stands the disembodied voice of Kelly is completelty unintelligible to my ears, so it's ITV4 no matter how many ad breaks.