#fail cycle superhighway in London

12346»

Comments

• That sounds like an insult, not an argument.
  • coriordan wrote:
    Why are you antagonising a total stranger only to further infuriate him? You haven't really solved anything other than further pissing him off and fuelling the fire among all his other anti cycling friends.

Even if you had to say something, why not 'come on mate, the traffic here is pants anyway, give it a rest'

I was the second rider he'd had an unprovoked pop at in about 300 yards. I don't think reasoning was really his "thing".

He was certainly well able to continue the discussion at the level I'd set though. I'll give him that.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Yeah, I'm sure that cabbie is going to be a lot more tolerant and respectful of cyclists now, so give yourself a pat on the back... :roll:
  • Really doesn't matter a jot whether or not someone swore back at him.. Do we really think those 2 examples given of cyclist intimidation are the first times he's done that in his life? Or do we think in reality its a daily/weekly occurrence?

I know from personal experience the very best thing you can do is ignore them or smile back and say something nice to them - never engage in conversation about how they don't know s**t about the highway code or the law, they don't care. Jeremy Clarkson. Daily Mail.

Enough said :)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I love it when Greg talks dirty, makes me all tingley

You filthy potty mouth you ;-P
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Can't we all just get along?

;-)
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh wrote:
    Can't we all just get along?

;-)

Any suggestions? Start with cyclists overtaking two already riding abreast. Any advice what the cyclist going the opposite direction should be doing?
  • I had a CSH related incident this morning. Stopped at the lights on the top of col du jzed (junction of byward street and great tower street). I am in the right lane indicating that I am turning right to join the road heading east to Canary Wharf. There is a lorry in front which has come down Great Tower Street but cannot move forward so its blocking all the cyclists. As I am going into the main road anyway I go on the outside of the lorry and lo and behold some muppet who is heading west decides that he would go round the front of the lorry and cycle down the wrong side of the road into the oncoming traffic. There was little I could do and I ended up on the ground, he had headbutted me as he wasn't wearing a helmet. He didn't have an id, couldn't recall his address and gave me a made up name. I am now sitting at my desk, taking ibuprofen and nursing a very bad headache. Thanks a lot Rim or whatever your name is.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • fat_tail wrote:
    I had a CSH related incident this morning. Stopped at the lights on the top of col du jzed (junction of byward street and great tower street). I am in the right lane indicating that I am turning right to join the road heading east to Canary Wharf. There is a lorry in front which has come down Great Tower Street but cannot move forward so its blocking all the cyclists. As I am going into the main road anyway I go on the outside of the lorry and lo and behold some muppet who is heading west decides that he would go round the front of the lorry and cycle down the wrong side of the road into the oncoming traffic. There was little I could do and I ended up on the ground, he had headbutted me as he wasn't wearing a helmet. He didn't have an id, couldn't recall his address and gave me a made up name. I am now sitting at my desk, taking ibuprofen and nursing a very bad headache. Thanks a lot Rim or whatever your name is.

Sorry to hear that :(((

I'm using less and less of the CSH and find myself filtering through traffic going in opposite directions. My premise is the oncoming motorcycles are more sane than many oncoming cyclists on the CSH.
  • inbike
    inbike Posts: 264
    fat_tail wrote:
    There is a lorry in front which has come down Great Tower Street but cannot move forward so its blocking all the cyclists.

This seems to happen very frequently. A bad bit of road design.
  • inbike wrote:
    fat_tail wrote:
    There is a lorry in front which has come down Great Tower Street but cannot move forward so its blocking all the cyclists.

This seems to happen very frequently. A bad bit of road design.

indeed.. I was just showing my colleague where the accident happened and as Google Maps has spliced together pre CSH and current photos around it can be seen that there was a yellow box junction there pre-CSH which they seem to have to forgotten to put back.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    Pretty nasty crash caught on camera at the start of the month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RH5HBq5hOg

Can imagine there will be a few more of these unless everyone chills out a little.
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • Bikequin wrote:
    Pretty nasty crash caught on camera at the start of the month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RH5HBq5hOg

Can imagine there will be a few more of these unless everyone chills out a little.

"Please slow down" isn't really the thing, please check the way is clear before overtaking, would apply to all roads. Although it does appear here that the lane is simply too narrow for two way traffic.
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    Its not my video so I didn't write the title - but I think the gist of it was slow down rather than go for the dodgy overtake.
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    I know that section of the super highway very well and there is a not insignificant amount of wankerish behaviour along there including idiots who zoom by just as soon as everyone who has been waiting patiently for a green light start moving off
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Saw a guy going the other way along the Embankment yesterday, with a red light on the front of his bike. Sheer lunacy...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • fat_tail
    I have seen many idiots with a white light at the back...
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • BobMcbob
    BobMcbob Posts: 104
    Saw a guy going the other way along the Embankment yesterday, with a red light on the front of his bike. Sheer lunacy...

Saw a courier bike with lights like this on CS3 yesterday, surely you'd think he'd know better? Won't live long
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I can't see how that route around Parliament Sq is a good thing. It just seems to be a charter for RLJing for an assortment of numpties, buffoons and those who have no desire to wait until the lights turn green.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • inbike
    New TfL stats out today:

Road.cc summary http://road.cc/content/news/213076-massive-increase-cycling-londons-cycle-superhighways

TfL report http://content.tfl.gov.uk/pic-161130-07-cycle-quietways.pdf

Cyclists are now 70% of all rush hour traffic on Blackfriars Bridge, up to one bike every 2 seconds.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    Blackfriars arrangements being completely re-jigged is tacit acknowledgement that the old layout was a dog's breakfast. Very confusing this morning, it'll be interesting to see what the new layout looks like...
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • inbike
    rower63 wrote:
    Blackfriars arrangements being completely re-jigged is tacit acknowledgement that the old layout was a dog's breakfast. Very confusing this morning, it'll be interesting to see what the new layout looks like...

The EW/NS junction at the bridge has only been rearranged to accomodate the Thames Tideway sewer works.

I think it'll go back to how it was before once they are finished although it would be nice if they took the opportunity to fix a few things.
  • TfL personnel at the new sections today taking pictures and counting number of cyclists coming through. The new layout looks a bit better imo.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    vpnikolov wrote:
    TfL personnel at the new sections today taking pictures and counting number of cyclists coming through. The new layout looks a bit better imo.
    It looks better. The only problem today was that both the cyclists and road traffic had green at the same time.

They probably need to sort that.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • fat_tail
    man down on superhighway by tower hill. me !

some tourist steps back from the pavement (between the superhighway and the road) without looking. i didn't stand a f*cking chance. broken derailleur, derailleur hanger, wheel out of true, taxi home. gash on lower left leg, sore left shoulder.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • drwae
    drwae Posts: 223
    fat_tail wrote:

some tourist steps back from the pavement (between the superhighway and the road) without looking. i didn't stand a f*cking chance. broken derailleur, derailleur hanger, wheel out of true, taxi home. gash on lower left leg, sore left shoulder.
    How was the tourist? :)
  • fat_tail
    drwae wrote:
    fat_tail wrote:

How was the tourist? :)

well he got on his coach and went off...
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • The new arrangement takes forever if you're switching from CS6 to CS3 or vice versa. Was much better for me before. Now I have to use a light-controlled crossing to pass over the Embankment rather than just go over the flyover. Real ballache. And going up from CS3 to CS6 involves lights to get over the road, invariably followed by an unnecessarily long wait at red lights at the top to go up CS6. Before it was a simple giveay (albeit with a light a few yards further on). They need to llook at the sequences because there are very long periods when the lights at the top of the ramp are red for cyclists and pedestrians and there's seemingly no motor traffic.
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    Surely someone has mentioned the bus into cycle lane directly after the lights on CS7 near Kennington? Got to be the most absurd layout
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    fat_tail wrote:

Damn - that's a bad start to the week. Hope you fix up quick and damage is less severe than first impression.

I went down in very similar place and got away with a dose of road rash and scraped bike. My last three offs have all been pedestrians on cycle super highway. I go very slowly now and ring load bell if they are even close to the curb and not looking

There was some other poor bugger down at Blackfriars this am as well - already with first aiders and wrapped in foil blanket. I think he was probably a pedestrian take down too as no sign of any other bike / vehicle.