#fail cycle superhighway in London

Comments

• fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    rode on the superhighway from the Parliament Square to Tower Hill for the first time this morning. In general I think its great. So you can't go very quickly but you are much less likely to get left-hooked by a sleepy delivery van. But getting on it is very painful. It took me about 7 minutes to go round PS to the start of the superhighway. In the past that would have been less than 2 minutes. the lights at points where you have to cross the Embankment (say at Blackfriars tunnel) are definitely not cyclist friendly.

A significant portion of my ride in and back is now on a cycle lane or on the superhighway. must be better, no ?
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    As noted above, the light timings around HoP are a disaster. I do hope they look into that, had an 8m delta on elapsed versus moving time, which in a 45m commute is just silly.

Got beeped/shouted at by a WVM on the Millbank sprint as I elected to take the lane with the cars (seriously insane cyclist numbers at 0820). Am afraid I resorted to rude gestures and apologize for my lack of decorum so early in the week.
  • whatleytom
    whatleytom Posts: 547
    Still not worked out how to get across to the right hand side of the road going East on embankment. Must admit though I think the Blackfriars junction is good. I do wonder what the public and car drivers think now, given the sheer volume of cyclists using it. Quite impressive imo.
    Blog on first season road racing http://www.twhatley.com/
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    My commute takes me down Farringdon St and over Blackfriars Bridge, so follows the Northern section of the new N-S Superhighway. I've been using it for the last couple of weeks since that section fully opened and have mixed opinions really.

Going Northbound it works pretty well, the traffic light timings on the North side of Blackfriars Bridge seem a bit ridiculous but on the whole it seems to work reasonably well. Coming Southbound on the other hand is a complete waste of time; the lights seem constantly out of sync so that there's no flow of traffic; as someone above mentioned, at the Blackfriars junction you have some sets of lights ~5m apart, get a green light on one and have to stop again for a pedestrian crossing 2 seconds later.

My main gripe though, is not being able to turn left off this route efficiently or safely. After Blackfriars I'd usually head left down Southwark St towards London Bridge station, but to do this you're encouraged to wait in the middle of the junction for a left-turn green signal that never comes and eventually the traffic coming across from Waterloo gets a green light and sets upon you whilst you're standing in the middle of the junction still staring at a red light! This has happened to me twice now, hopefully they'll sort this out, because at the moment it's not only a massive waste of time, but also pretty dangerous and I'd rather just skip the whole southbound section and mix it with the traffic on Blackfriars Bridge as I did before.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Anyone bothered to complain to tfl about the light timing problems / other problems mentioned on here?

No point ranting on here, no one from tfl will see it
  • adambruntlett
    adambruntlett Posts: 257
    I told the TFL bods who were hanging around trying to be helpful for the first few days but not sure whether they recorded any feedback.
    https://custserv.tfl.gov.uk/icss_csip/Z ... b=CA_16309 may be the best place to start
  • bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    I really hope people get the single file each way thing - but having commuted on embankment for 8 years I'm less hopeful (the crazy free for all at Vauxhall light is still great fun - and I've actually been elbowed out of the way on the blue super highway!).

The best case is if we or one of the cycling groups sent a few easily implementable solutions (smoothing the speed bumps, timing the lights) as more likely to be considered than individual comments. At least I haven't ever gotten a response, even a thank you for your unsolicited feedback ...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,692
    People who are moaning about sharp speed bumps seem to miss the point of them....
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    I entered PS today together with a mate. He took the new official highway route, I went where the cars were. I cleared PS much sooner than he did, but then he, on the highway, "passed" me shortly before Embankment Station, and we went to and fro all the way to the Blackfriars Underpass, where I was a bit ahead of him. Neither of us was trying to gun it, anyway it was too busy. I'm not sure how one is supposed to get across left from the Highway on a busy day without having to stop dead rather suddenly in the lane and risk being rear-ended.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • adambruntlett
    adambruntlett Posts: 257
    People who are moaning about sharp speed bumps seem to miss the point of them....

But compare them to those north of Blackfriars Bridge on CS3 (?) - they have the desired effect but don't ramp up so sharply. It's just a question of smoothing the angle of ascent and descent.
  • rick_chasey
    Try slowing down for them. See what happens ;)
  • bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    i hardly trying to set strava records nor, as a female, feel compelled to dangerously push ahead of every female who is clearly faster than i am (rule no 38, people). but the angle of those bumps is scary and, with my little wheels, i seem to projectile off them. think about kids tootling along on their little tyke bike or training wheels on the weekends -- those things are not going to be easy. they could easily smooth them out.

look perhaps i just prefer riding in vehicular traffic. when i worked in canary wharf i found the highway the best route -- hated the bike path on cable street and found commercial road too slow at times weaving past buses. but i find the multiple traffic flows from different directions -- coupled with pedestrians and joggers crossing randomly - make it all rather stressful at rush hour. early in the morning or late in the day it is blissful. the rest of the time i rather just avoid it, which defeats the point.
  • I've never cycled in London so cannot comment, but I have cycled in Brighton and that can be a nightmare.

I'd imagine the nearest comparison is using the cyclepath along the seafront.
    Clearly designated, enough room for everyone but ruined by everyone.
  • rick_chasey
    Was fine this morning.

Parliament square light sequence is still verging on the ridiculous - but the rest was rapid.
  • wozza_a
    wozza_a Posts: 7

At Parliament Square coming from the south the lights go green, you turn left to go round the square and straight into a pedestrian crossing, the lights for which were red. Again, poor light phasing meant I and a whole peloton nearly went straight through the crossing because you really don;t expect to have to stop 5 yards after you set off, and the lights are barely visible.

What the juddering fuck is that light sequencing about? I carried speed towards and through the lights, went through on green with no sign of amber, and had to skid to a halt to avoid hitting pedestrians.

Someone is going to get hurt there.
  • vpnikolov
    vpnikolov Posts: 568
    Was fine this morning.

Parliament square light sequence is still verging on the ridiculous - but the rest was rapid.
    Were you by any chance on a green Condor?

Back on topic... the new layout has not really slowed me down. Moving and stationary time are more or less the same, can't see a difference. Now all the waiting is at Westminster and Blackfriars ramp, instead of every single traffic light along Embankment.
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    vpnikolov wrote:
    Was fine this morning.

Back on topic... the new layout has not really slowed me down. Moving and stationary time are more or less the same, can't see a difference. Now all the waiting is at Westminster and Blackfriars ramp, instead of every single traffic light along Embankment.

In the old days (pre CSH) the only lights that were annoying from Parliament Square to Blackfriars were the first ones you get from PS... if you got a red there it was a longish wait however the upside was the rest would then be green...
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • vpnikolov
    Probably I am unlucky and have almost always been caught by red lights all the way up to Blackfriars. It is really tricky because you need to get the sequence right from the point you turn left from PS.
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    Took the Lambeth bridge bypass (Lambeth Br-Lambeth Palace Rd-Park Plaza Roundabout-York Road-Imax Roundabout-Stamford St-Blackfriars Rd-Blackfriars Br) of the superhighway this morning as a test. Unsurprisingly a little slower (based on this morning, my own historical times and strava flyby scrutineering), driven entirely by the nonstop service from Westminster Bridge to Blackfriars Bridge on the superhighway making up for the light sequencing around HoP.

Have made an enquiry to TfL on light sequencing. Suggest others do the same (and in respect of the speed jumps ... nearly stacked it yesterday; although to be fair, this was also because I had forgotten I was riding fixed :oops: ).
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    I need to collect and look at more data but over the last few days I’ve had instances in the morning of entering PS simultaneously with someone recognizable, being significantly ahead as I turn onto the Embankment with the cars, but then seeing said mate cruise past a short while later in the bike lane and disappear into the distance. In the last few days I’ve seen a rowing mate, Rhodrich and Rhys K on different days all gain 2-3 minutes on me from PS to Blackfriars.

So this morning I took the bike lane there for the first time. I had to gesture to a couple of on-comers to get across but it seems OK, as does route up the Blackfrairs up-ramp.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    It does seem to be a reasonably efficient way of getting around; what I'm struggling with are the other cyclists. Now they're segregated from the rest of the traffic, some of these people are all over the place! Some motorists may be aggressive, but at least you know where you are with a white van or a minicab...

As for getting more people out on bikes and improving their health - I'm not sure I'm actually getting any exercise...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    The Embankment stuff is looking quite good. Hopefully spot on when finished.
    Elephant and Castle is a mess. Can't believe anyone actually designed that!!
    exercise.png
  • rick_chasey
    vpnikolov wrote:
    Was fine this morning.

green kona paddy waggon.

White rims.
  • vpnikolov
    I might have misread it on the frame. I am almost sure I was right next to you on the peds traffic light just before Bank (Queen Victoria St). Was with VS club jersey on an Allez, quite tall guy.
  • rick_chasey
    Ah yeah. Say hi next time.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    TGOTB wrote:
    As for getting more people out on bikes and improving their health - I'm not sure I'm actually getting any exercise...

Tell me about it, I've had to start training in my spare time, the horror. :lol:
  • vpnikolov
    Was just browsing TfL's website and realised that the speed bumps along Embankment are supposed to be ped crossings (link below) :shock: :shock: :shock: . They might make it clearer with more markings, even signs...

Crossing the Cycling Track
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    vpnikolov wrote:
    Was just browsing TfL's website and realised that the speed bumps along Embankment are supposed to be ped crossings (link below) :shock: :shock: :shock: . They might make it clearer with more markings, even signs...

Surely all but one do have the different colour gritty surface? They are pretty easy to spot - but any further changes/markings and they may be tempted to put up traffic lights which would be ridiculous.
  • vpnikolov
    imatfaal wrote:
    vpnikolov wrote:

Surely all but one do have the different colour gritty surface? They are pretty easy to spot - but any further changes/markings and they may be tempted to put up traffic lights which would be ridiculous.

They do, but how does that make them ped crossings? Anyway... how many cyclists are actually aware of this?

Highway Code - Crossings

Quite confusing... just paint them as proper zebra crossings to avoid any doubt and lower these god damn speed bumps. Imagine if you have to stop just before the ramp and then go again... bloody nightmare if you have to clip in.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    vpnikolov wrote:
    Imagine if you have to stop just before the ramp and then go again... bloody nightmare if you have to clip in.
    When they were designing this infrastructure, I doubt they spared a huge amount of thought for clipless pedal users who dont know how to clip in whilst starting uphill. If that was a primary concern, it would be very hard to design and build roads in hilly areas...

More generally, any pedal system which requires you to stop pedalling and stare at your feet in order to clip in, is probably unsuitable for urban commuting. May not apply to you, but applies to a lot of the riders who've appeared over the last couple of months.
    Pannier, 120rpm.