Planet X Holdsworth steel frame.

Comments

• bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Jeeze......
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    MikeBrew wrote:
    And my experience of PX tells me that I won't have to wait for ever for it to be offered at under £499..

I think you are projecting your unjustified anger towards PX into this thread, when you already have another thread to do just that. Personally I think you are doing a disservice to the OP who is looking for advice, but hey ho, it' a free world...
    left the forum March 2023
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    I think that you're confused again. This time your confusing observations with anger. As to whether it's my view or your advice that does the OP a disservice, well, again that's a matter of opinion. What I can say for certain is that I say what I genuinely think - be it popular or not. Not everyone actually "thinks" (believes) what they say....And yes we are all free to say -within reason- what we want to , at least we can agree on that being a blessing.... Not sure that it's a free World - free country, yes.
    My view is that it will probably available for a less than £499 in the near future, and I'd wait. In fact that is exactly what I am doing.
  • hazy_day
    hazy_day Posts: 84
    Thanks for all the contributions,just goes to show that there is no such thing as a simple question.By the way is anyone riding one.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    You have to laugh at Bike Radar sometimes. Unless I am imagining things, but wasn't the Ritchey logic frame flavour of the month on this very website not so long ago - a real steal at £800 - the same was also true of Legend frames. I am not knocking Ugo - who is always consistent in his opinion, but I am amazed with his ability to get so many posters to conform to a similar viewpoint. I wouldn't be suprised if Ugo ancestry traces back to Franz Anton Mesmer.
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    Can anyone tell me if the tubing is an ultra light coke can thin type that Iv heard of or is it likely to be robust- like the older type Columbus tubesets? I only have experience of Columbus SL, one of my old frames and thats now hanging up in the garage. Does Spirit build a long term use frameset as long as its had a decent rust proof?
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • ugo.santalucia
    kirkee wrote:
    Interesting reading....I too like the look of the frame and could be tempted. Can anyone tell me if the tubing is an ultra light coke can thin type that Iv heard of or is it likely to be robust- like the older type Columbus tubesets? I only have experience of Columbus SL, one of my old frames and thats now hanging up in the garage. Does Spirit build a long term use frameset as long as its had a decent rust proof?

It's a triple butted tubing which is very thin in the mid section... 0.4 mm or so... not one for touring
  • MikeBrew
    kirkee wrote:
    Interesting reading....I too like the look of the frame and could be tempted. Can anyone tell me if the tubing is an ultra light coke can thin type that Iv heard of or is it likely to be robust- like the older type Columbus tubesets? I only have experience of Columbus SL, one of my old frames and thats now hanging up in the garage. Does Spirit build a long term use frameset as long as its had a decent rust proof?

It's a triple butted tubing which is very thin in the mid section... 0.4 mm or so... not one for touring

Wow that really is putting words into someone's mouth for your own ends. kirkee's actual post (3 posts up) was totally devoid of the words in red. Ugo are you for real ? You added sentence totally changes the context of his remarks.

His actual post read
    kirkee wrote:
    Can anyone tell me if the tubing is an ultra light coke can thin type that Iv heard of or is it likely to be robust- like the older type Columbus tubesets? I only have experience of Columbus SL, one of my old frames and thats now hanging up in the garage. Does Spirit build a long term use frameset as long as its had a decent rust proof?
  • ugo.santalucia
    MikeBrew wrote:
    kirkee wrote:

Wow that really is putting words into someone's mouth for your own ends. kirkee's actual post (3 posts up) was totally devoid of the words in red. Ugo are you for real ? You added sentence totally changes the context of his remarks.

His actual post read
    kirkee wrote:

He probably amended the comment... you are all over the place... best you relax... Leicester won the league, go have a drink! :wink:
  • MikeBrew
    edited May 2016
    Hey if they don't say what they "should", say it for them ..It doesn't make you look desperate or disingenuous, or even glib ... :D perhaps you're just a little drunk, and on a school night :wink:
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    Ill get a shovel then... Thats it Im getting one. On 2nd thoughts, no I wont, that sounds too thin!
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • OfficerDigby
    OfficerDigby Posts: 110
    My name is MikeBrew,

And I really don't like the way Planet X aggressively reduce prices.
    It's really is most annoying.

I'm looking for counselling on a BB!

Help ME!
  • MikeBrew
    Wow what a rapier wit there, how very droll Officer Drivel, I'll alert the Oscar Wilde foundation there's a new kid on the block....Hey, soup for lunch tomorrow, so don't forget your water-wings and change of clothes :lol:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ru9LfkScRQ
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You OK Hun ?
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    PX statement on pricing, just for you MikeB.

http://planetx.co.uk/pricing
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Can someone be bothered to do a Downfall meme with Hitler discovering his new PX frame has just been reduced in the sales?
    Ta.
  • MikeBrew
    I think there might already be one out there where he rants about having his pitch for the model number ME-109E rejected, in favour of the EC-130E... Apparently, they liked the basic concept of a simple letters and numbers format, but weren't convinced that it would sell it that particular combination.....
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    Screen-Shot-2014-11-07-at-17.48.33.png Mike Brew is Mr Logic
  • MikeBrew
    Personal insults on the interweb. Brave boy Ptest, mommy will be so proud on her ickle soldier.. :wink: Be sure and brush those toothies before bed-time , you clever little munchkin. :roll:
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    Oh God, you're not the latest Paxbot are you?

Your posts have something awfully familiar about them.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    MikeBrew wrote:
    To be fair it hasn't, to my knowledge, been offered at £300 - yet. My price reasoning is that if they can bang out the whole 105 5800 equipped bike for a grand, then the frame alone at £500 doesn't look to be discounted at all.

Your reasoning fails to understand bike shops. Frames and components are different things with, I daresay, different margins. They'd probably rather sell you an entire bike at £1k for less percentage profit than just a frame for £300. I am contemplating a Look 464 track bike. There is a shop that sells the frames and complete builds. The frame is £999 and the cheapest complete build is £1060. Who is ever going to buy the bare frame?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • MikeBrew
    Rolf F wrote:
    MikeBrew wrote:
    To be fair it hasn't, to my knowledge, been offered at £300 - yet. My price reasoning is that if they can bang out the whole 105 5800 equipped bike for a grand, then the frame alone at £500 doesn't look to be discounted at all.

Your reasoning fails to understand bike shops. Frames and components are different things with, I daresay, different margins. They'd probably rather sell you an entire bike at £1k for less percentage profit than just a frame for £300. I am contemplating a Look 464 track bike. There is a shop that sells the frames and complete builds. The frame is £999 and the cheapest complete build is £1060. Who is ever going to buy the bare frame?

Well I guess that makes sense. The 105 group alone is circa £300, before you even think about wheels, tyres, contact points, headset, cables and finishing kit. I suppose the bare frame only makes sense financially if the requisite parts are already sitting at home in your garage...After all, I don't think it's the sort of frame anyone is going to build up with an upmarket group set and expensive finishing kit.
    Though I notice that the every day price is £499 today, now that the "daily deal" offer of £499 has ended. Perhaps that "offer" was simply a bank holiday pressure selling device.
    Whatever it was.... having splashed more cash on a 15 year old CAAD 6 Saeco, last night, than I ever intended, I now won't be buying one - not even at £300.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Bondurant wrote:
    Oh God, you're not the latest Paxbot are you?

Your posts have something awfully familiar about them.

No, no,
    Paxington used to dwell on topic for months on end, rage about nothing, patronise and abuse all those that disagree, stalk members from topic to topic and generally post cr*p without saying anything of any value.
    Like gargling alphabet soup.

MikeBrew on the other hand....
  • bontie
    bontie Posts: 177
    As the owner of the legend pictured, all I can say is....
    If ugo is right then that is a hell of a deal on the Holdsworth as the Legend is a lovely bike. Its stiff, not heavy and the geometry is such that it rides like a race bike should
  • ugo.santalucia
    bontie wrote:
    As the owner of the legend pictured, all I can say is....
    If ugo is right then that is a hell of a deal on the Holdsworth as the Legend is a lovely bike. Its stiff, not heavy and the geometry is such that it rides like a race bike should

I thought the one in the picture was yours... :D
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    May be going mad - its 20% off Holdsworth today but the frame is now a grand!
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    solboy10 wrote:
    May be going mad - its 20% off Holdsworth today but the frame is now a grand!

I was about to post that you were looking at the other more expensive one. But you are not..........bonkers.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • edindevon
    edindevon Posts: 325
    On the other hand, the built up Holdsworth Competition Shimano 105 5800 Road Bike is now £960, which is £40 cheaper that it was previously. So anyone thinking of buying would have to go for the built up version.
  • MikeBrew
    You'd have to guess that the ridiculous pricing of the stand alone frame-set is simply a device to shift the complete bike, by implying that you're getting a bike with a high value frameset. To be fair, at £960 it probably wouldn't be a bad first bike.
    Having said that, when you can pick up a quality known quantity like a Caad12 105(Epic cycles s£1099), or 2015 Supersix 105(Pauls cycles £999) for very similar money, would you take a punt just for a pretty paint job and bit of nostalgia ?
    It might ride OK, but then again it just might not. Taking it back saying "Ugo compared it to a Legend - why don't it ride like one ?", just may fail to cut the mustard that The PX refund desk. They might even suggest that you're a bit of a legend yourself, for basing a buying decision on an uninformed, speculative opinion. Unless he's ridden one, of course.
    Obviously, it's wholly possible that it could be a great bike.
This discussion has been closed.