Uphill cheese roll ***SPOILER***

1235»

Comments

• OCDuPalais wrote:
    so its because hes a non english speaker. I dont know, i go away and come back and nothing changes.

Tch...But then that's solitary confinement for you: so difficult to keep abreast of the whole Jonny Foreigner thing.

:lol:
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    so its because hes a non english speaker. I dont know, i go away and come back and nothing changes.

Tch...But then that's solitary confinement for you: so difficult to keep abreast of the whole Jonny Foreigner thing.

Its a challenge :) but now Im back with bad tats and a beard. I shall observe but remain aloof from the herd :lol:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    dish_dash wrote:
    Oh come on... if Cancellara gets a stretch of strade bianche named after him for winning it three times than surely the Mur de Huy should be named after Valverde. He's mastered it.

Marriane Vos has won it 5 times #HeForShe
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,561
    ddraver wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    Oh come on... if Cancellara gets a stretch of strade bianche named after him for winning it three times than surely the Mur de Huy should be named after Valverde. He's mastered it.

Marriane Vos has won it 5 times #HeForShe

Sure... as long as they spell her name right :wink:
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    dish_dash wrote:
    Top 10

1 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team

10 Rui Costa (Por) Lampre - Merida
    And yet another great result for Rui Costa. It's been 2 and a half year since he won the Worlds and since then he hasn't crossed the line first once (* he won a stage at the deserted Tour of Switzerland). At the time I did say he was the worst World Champion since Laurent Brochard and I stand by my comment.

Do the folks who rated him highly at the time still stand by their comments?
    left the forum March 2023
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I ve never really developed much of an opinion on him but in my head he's very good at breaks over the final hill into a descent on lumpy, but not alpine, GT stages when the GC rides have largely punched themselves out and are content just to watch each other down the hill, the sprinters are in the grupetto and the break has been caught.

The good thing about that is that it "looks spectacular", even if the opposition are rather distracted
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ugo.santalucia
    I think I forgot about Astarloa... so Rui Costa was the worst WC since Astarloa... :-)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    dish_dash wrote:
    Top 10

1 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team

10 Rui Costa (Por) Lampre - Merida
    And yet another great result for Rui Costa. It's been 2 and a half year since he won the Worlds and since then he hasn't crossed the line first once (* he won a stage at the deserted Tour of Switzerland). At the time I did say he was the worst World Champion since Laurent Brochard and I stand by my comment.

Do the folks who rated him highly at the time still stand by their comments?
    The year after he was WC he was top 4 in five World Tour races and the year after that in six.
    He's not a superstar but he's a consistently high performer. He's better than Vainsteins, Astarloa and in my opinion Ballan.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ugo.santalucia
    Ballan...
    Yet Ballan won Flanders in style and finished podium a few years later... had it not been for the all doping affair he would have probably won more.
    Problem with Ballan was his head... first thing he did after winning the Worlds was to buy a Ferrari and that tells you what kind of rider he is... but the talent was there...
  • RichN95.
    . had it not been for the all doping affair he would have probably won more...
    And had it not been for reasons behind the doping affair would have won less.

I just see him as an Italian Sep Vanmarcke type. Just as Costa is a poundshop Valverde.
  • Ballan...
    Yet Ballan won Flanders in style and finished podium a few years later... had it not been for the all doping affair he would have probably won more.
    Problem with Ballan was his head... first thing he did after winning the Worlds was to buy a Ferrari and that tells you what kind of rider he is... but the talent was there...

A Ferrari habit has been the downfall of many a pro
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,561
    Ballan...

hat
  • ugo.santalucia
    As long as we all agree that Rui Costa is the not the phenomenal rider he was supposed to be...

other disappointments?

I have confess I am disappointed by Kwia... I thought he was the new Gilbert, but he's not
    I thought Moreno Moser was on the road to become a great classics rider, but no...
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Ballan...

Hat.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    As long as we all agree that Rui Costa is the not the phenomenal rider he was supposed to be...

other disappointments?

I have confess I am disappointed by Kwia... I thought he was the new Gilbert, but he's not
    I thought Moreno Moser was on the road to become a great classics rider, but no...
    It's easy to forget that Kwiatkowski is still only 25.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    RichN95 wrote:

other disappointments?

Remember I used that argument when Sagan was 25 and you told me to jog on.

Consistency Richard, consistency.
  • ugo.santalucia
    RichN95 wrote:

other disappointments?

Yes, but when you start winning at 22, people expect you to keep winning...
  • RichN95.

I would never tell anyone to 'jog on'
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    RichN95 wrote:

Words to that effect.

I'll dig out the thread if ya fancy.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Words to that effect.

I'll dig out the thread if ya fancy.
    I don't doubt that I may have dismissed your arguement. Just not with those actual words.