3 Daniel Martin (Irl) Etixx - Quick-Step
    4 Wouter Poels (Ned) Team Sky
    5 Enrico Gasparotto (Ita) Wanty - Groupe Gobert
    6 Samuel Sanchez (Spa) BMC Racing Team
    7 Michael Albasini (Swi) Orica-GreenEdge
    8 Diego Ulissi (Ita) Lampre - Merida
    9 Warren Barguil (Fra) Team Giant-Alpecin
    10 Rui Costa (Por) Lampre - Merida

What were Paddy Power thinking re. Albasini?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    proper racer

He bloody is, you know. Hat.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    FW: Watch one, watch them all.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Nice that none of the other favourites missed their chance through being boxed in or badly positioned at foot of climb - they had their chance but Valverde was more than equal to their charge
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    dish_dash wrote:
    Top 10

1 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team
    2 Julian Alaphilippe (Fra) Etixx - Quick-Step
    3 Daniel Martin (Irl) Etixx - Quick-Step
    4 Wouter Poels (Ned) Team Sky
    5 Enrico Gasparotto (Ita) Wanty - Groupe Gobert
    6 Samuel Sanchez (Spa) BMC Racing Team
    7 Michael Albasini (Swi) Orica-GreenEdge
    8 Diego Ulissi (Ita) Lampre - Merida
    9 Warren Barguil (Fra) Team Giant-Alpecin
    10 Rui Costa (Por) Lampre - Merida

They kept their cash!!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    The race is the same every year,so it's hardly surprising the same person keeps winning. I know he's not popular, but on this climb his timing is always impeccable.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Apparently Valverde has won this more times than anyone else. Presumably they'll be renaming the hill after him now?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Locals would go rip it up...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Oh come on... if Cancellara gets a stretch of strade bianche named after him for winning it three times than surely the Mur de Huy should be named after Valverde. He's mastered it.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    ive no idea why hes not popular, he's aggressive, has panache, and is a canny rider too. I suppose it's because he's spanish
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    No (and grow up btw), it's because he is a 100% confirmed dirty, cheating liar...

He's rare in cycling, there is no "suspicion surrounding him". We know this for a fact.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • What a shame this convicted doper has won.

3 wins for Argentin and Rebbelin and 4 for Valverde. Illustrious company indeed.

And he even got a hug from Erik (I-tried-it-once-and-I-didn't-like-it) Zabel. :lol:

DD.
  • ive no idea why hes not popular, he's aggressive, has panache, and is a canny rider too. I suppose it's because he's spanish

Yes. That's it fer shure. Ole!
  • rick_chasey
    ive no idea why hes not popular, he's aggressive, has panache, and is a canny rider too. I suppose it's because he's spanish

You don't like him because he doesn't speak English!
  • ive no idea why hes not popular, he's aggressive, has panache, and is a canny rider too. I suppose it's because he's spanish

You don't like him because he doesn't speak English!

Meester Fauuulty, I am from Barcelona
  • rick_chasey
    Rosé on a sunny day gone to your head RR??
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    so its because hes a non english speaker. I dont know, i go away and come back and nothing changes.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    I don't like him because his name starts with a V but doesn't continue with "an". It's wrong. All f those V's should change their name to Vansomethingorother or van Somethingorother. Voigt, Vaughters, Valverde, Vichot. Wrong wrong wrong.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    dish_dash wrote:

Probably something along the lines of "we're quite exposed on This Bunch of Riders, but nobody is backing This Other Lot. Better cut the prices for this bunch and hike them for this other lot."

Presumably Albasini was in This Other Lot
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    More philosophical answer: when you place a bet, you're not betting against the bookies.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255

It's because 90% of his wins come from sucking somebody's wheel until he gets to the sprint. He's gutless and he showed at the Worlds, when he left that mediocre Portuguese rider take the jersey, to avoid working... when he was clearly the fastest of the 4 fugitives.

He's the opposite of Sagan, who everybody love... it doesn't help that he was a Fuentes regular and sneakily tried to get away with it, when all the others had already been banned
    left the forum March 2023
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    Your English is amazingly good, ugo (and you know more British slang than I do), but very occasionally you make a funny word choice. Like fugitives! So apt here.
  • ugo.santalucia
    straight from Italian, I guess
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Ugo, what's the Italian perspective on Moscon? Get much press there?
    He's put in some excellent performances so far this season, might be booking himself a place on the Giro.

PS - I've heard "escapees" used quite often in English.
  • ugo.santalucia
    they talked about him on the Gazzetta today... didn't know him before... but I don't follow to the same level you guys do.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Oh I'm pretty casual, compared to some. Especially those on the UK amateur scene who know all the British riders.
  • Gasp o led in the bunch! Barguil looks comfy

Alaphilippe living up to expectations
  • Alaphilippe was excellent today

Good man
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    they talked about him on the Gazzetta today... didn't know him before... but I don't follow to the same level you guys do.

Probably because he fell off, today.
    It's other thing guaranteed to get folks Sky talking, you're telling me lies. :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    so its because hes a non english speaker. I dont know, i go away and come back and nothing changes.

Tch...But then that's solitary confinement for you: so difficult to keep abreast of the whole Jonny Foreigner thing.