Lots of Cycling and Little Weight Loss

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    And I bet you fly up the hills compared to how you used to!
  • TimmyVee
    TimmyVee Posts: 23
    And I bet you fly up the hills compared to how you used to!

When I was at my biggest hills were not an option (neither was cycling really.) Decided I had had enough and bought a bike and sweated most of the fat off. Now I regularly cycle over Shooters Hill in South East London with some respectable times.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I'm reading this thread while eating chocolate biscuits. Irony or cognitive dissonance, I wonder?
  • markhewitt1978
    964Cup wrote:
    I'm reading this thread while eating chocolate biscuits. Irony or cognitive dissonance, I wonder?

As long as they are within your calorie limit! I have the same issue sometimes, thinking about how great it will be to lose more weight, if only I could stop eating snacks, as I'm on the way to get another Mini Roll.
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    Intermittent Fasting is definitely the way ahead - at least it is for me. I decided I wanted to shift 4kg between 1st Jan and 6th March (first race). I've always hovered around 75/76kg and hadn't dieted particularly. So I gave 5:2 a go - shifted 2kg by mid-Feb but then it just stopped. Fasting for 2 days is easy when the weight is dropping off but when it's not it's hard work.

So 2 weeks ago I changed to 8:16 - hrs in the day. Basically only consuming within an 8 hour window. It's easy as I rarely eat breakfast anyway even when training in the morning. So I fast until lunchtime (1300hrs) surviving on black coffee or tea and don't eat beyond 2100hrs. I've lost another kilo in 2 weeks.

I've found it easier than 5:2 as it suits my lifestyle better. I've also had 2 lapses on Saturday evenings when i've eaten or drunk beyond 2100.

As for diet / calories consumed - I just eat what i think is right for me. I don't reckon I ever eat more than 2500kcals a day and mainly healthy food. With the odd glass of good red wine chucked in too.
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    Google Engineering the Alpha 2.0 for more info. I don't buy into a lot of his shoot, but the IF diet works for me.
  • markhewitt1978
    djhermer wrote:
    Intermittent Fasting is definitely the way ahead - at least it is for me. I decided I wanted to shift 4kg between 1st Jan and 6th March (first race). I've always hovered around 75/76kg and hadn't dieted particularly. So I gave 5:2 a go - shifted 2kg by mid-Feb but then it just stopped. Fasting for 2 days is easy when the weight is dropping off but when it's not it's hard work.

I did my second fasting day yesterday (I prefer to call them diet days as it's not like you don't eat anything). Last Friday I had porridge at 8.30am then nothing until dinner at 6.00pm and found I was totally starving. So yesterday I changed it so I didn't have my porridge until noon, then a bag of crisps at 3pm, then dinner at 6pm. Apart from feeling peckish at 11-12 in the morning I didn't feel hungry at all.

I have felt a bit dehydrated mind, no matter how much I drink it just goes straight through me! Scales say I lost 3lb in a day, almost all water weight I would expect.

I've found it easier than 5:2 as it suits my lifestyle better. I've also had 2 lapses on Saturday evenings when i've eaten or drunk beyond 2100.

I think much of the time your body adapts to whatever you're doing so needs a bit of a change to shake it up again.

At the end of the day it's all calories in-calories out, the only thing is how you arrange it.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I'm tempted to go back on the 5:2 again as I'd like to lean out a bit for the summer, I did it for 2 years and have been doing 6:1 for the last 18 months or so.

I've been doing more upper body training, but also eating lots :D
  • markhewitt1978
    diy wrote:
    I'm tempted to go back on the 5:2 again as I'd like to lean out a bit for the summer, I did it for 2 years and have been doing 6:1 for the last 18 months or so.

How did you get on with it for 2 years? I've read comments about it being 'unsustainable' as I've only just started I can't really comment on that. However it has the potential to be more sustainable than standard diets as your only 'dieting' 2 days a week, instead of every day?
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    djhermer wrote:

So 2 weeks ago I changed to 8:16 - hrs in the day. Basically only consuming within an 8 hour window. It's easy as I rarely eat breakfast anyway even when training in the morning. So I fast until lunchtime (1300hrs) surviving on black coffee or tea and don't eat beyond 2100hrs. I've lost another kilo in 2 weeks.

As for diet / calories consumed - I just eat what i think is right for me. I don't reckon I ever eat more than 2500kcals a day and mainly healthy food. With the odd glass of good red wine chucked in too.

Exactly the regime I was describing above. Works a treat for sustained fat loss. I was doing it combined with weight training but revolves more around cycling these days.
  • markhewitt1978
    I'm on my second fasting day of the week. I seemed to lose a lot of fluid in the first one, felt rather dehydrated yesterday, so much that I lost 3lb - I guess mostly water. But had still only replenished 0.5lb of that as of today.

I've just ordered some 34" trousers. Having conceded that 36" was too big for me now. It was only just over a year ago I was wearing 40" trousers :shock:
  • TimmyVee
    It was only just over a year ago I was wearing 40" trousers :shock:

Well done.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,051
    I'm not sure what my waist is, Mrs.HD wears the trousers in our house.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • markhewitt1978
    One thing I've noticed with 5:2 is that it isn't really a day of fasting. e.g. On Monday my fast really started at 7pm Sunday evening, and didn't end until my breakfast at 8.30am Tuesday morning.

This is fine but I do like doing some turbo (or even outside in the high of summer) rides in the mornings, before breakfast. But, if I'm doing fasting Monday & Wednesday

Monday: Don't want to ride because it's the start of a fast day
    Tuesday: Still fasting!
    Wednesday: Start of another fast day
    Thursday: Still fasting!
    Friday: OK!
    Saturday: Family day
    Sunday: Outside / Club ride.

So I either do a ride on a fast day anyway; or I ride the morning after fast days - perhaps have a cereal bar as I get up, but then I lose some of the benefit of fasted training then.
  • TimmyVee

Seems from the above that you are only eating normally 3-days a week.
  • Escher303
    Escher303 Posts: 342
    One thing I've noticed with 5:2 is that it isn't really a day of fasting. e.g. On Monday my fast really started at 7pm Sunday evening, and didn't end until my breakfast at 8.30am Tuesday morning.

This is fine but I do like doing some turbo (or even outside in the high of summer) rides in the mornings, before breakfast. But, if I'm doing fasting Monday & Wednesday

So I either do a ride on a fast day anyway; or I ride the morning after fast days - perhaps have a cereal bar as I get up, but then I lose some of the benefit of fasted training then.

I've done 5:2 for years along with 6:1 when I'm lean. I often train on the turbo on a fast day or on the morning the day after, or do hour and half on the road or any amount of hours very slowly. I have no problem at all, in fact I often feel more energetic when fasted not less. Of course I don't do more than 1.5 hours and if I have done then I try and make sure I replenish glycogen stores when I do eat. I think you are over thinking it. Just do what you want and see how you respond, you've only just started.
  • markhewitt1978
    TimmyVee wrote:

Seems from the above that you are only eating normally 3-days a week.

I can see how you would think that but I was referring to first thing in the morning only. So Tuesday I would be still fasting at 6am when I start riding. But the rest of the day eating normally.

And yes I should just give it a go and see what happens!
  • markhewitt1978
    Well; I've done my two fasting days this week (and one the week before). Initial thoughts, well it's ok but I don't know about it long term, on the fasting days I wasn't particularly tired or hungry, but I didn't feel particularly well, and my allergies got worse for some reason. And even though I've drank tonnes of water I still ended up quite dehydrated.

It's potentially useful if you can't get any exercising done if you're injured. But I'm thinking I'll go back to my previous system. My wife has started weight watchers again which means she's making both our meals according to their points system .
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Mark, it's really no more complicated than skipping breakfast, regardless of whether you ride or not. Entirely up to you of course but it is an effective tool in dropping unwanted fat. You may continue to lose fat on a normal regime but ultimately you will plateau which is where fasting may come in useful
  • markhewitt1978
    Mark, it's really no more complicated than skipping breakfast, regardless of whether you ride or not. Entirely up to you of course but it is an effective tool in dropping unwanted fat. You may continue to lose fat on a normal regime but ultimately you will plateau which is where fasting may come in useful

I probably will go back to it, especially in the latter stages. I've lost 3lb since Monday morning, but I suspect much of that is water weight so will have to see how it shakes out. On both Monday & Wednesday I had porridge for lunch (200), crisps as a snack (100) then a weight watchers meal at night (320), which as I say was fine I didn't feel massively hungry but I did just feel a bit weird and not in a good way, adaptation, I expect.

If I can continue losing under a more 'normal' calorie controlled diet then fine, I always have the fasting to go back on if I hit problems.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,509
    To anyone wanting to manage their weight, I would suggest reading Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald. It is probably the most sensible, practical and useful books on the subject I've come across.
  • diy
    diy wrote:

How did you get on with it for 2 years? I've read comments about it being 'unsustainable' as I've only just started I can't really comment on that. However it has the potential to be more sustainable than standard diets as your only 'dieting' 2 days a week, instead of every day?

I stopped 5:2, because I was getting a bit lean. I was down to about 68kg (5'9") and at 40+ my skin looked like it didn't fit as well as my clothes ;) I dropped from a 34" waist to a 28".

don't worry about not being able to do cardio on fasting days..
    - after week 3 or 4 introduce 40-60 miins at 60% of max, then gradually increase
    - after 3 months you'll be faster over short distances than eat days.
    - I use it as bonk training

6:1 is harder as you go a whole week without a fast.

I've tried the superfasting too - 10% of RDA so about 250kcal - thats easy too, but you don't lose any extra weight cutting another 250kcal out. I occasionally do a 1/2 fast as a second day on thursday (1200kcal)

I'm now 72kg but I've really upped my "bodybuilding" the last year which helps my skin fit better ;) but has made me slower on the road.
  • markhewitt1978
    The wife has persuaded me to sign up for Weight Watchers (really mustn't call it Fat Fighters!). Not doing the crazy meetings or anything so at amounts to a tracking app, would have gone with something like MyFitnessPal but since she's already doing it and makes my dinners through the week it makes some sense, she can basically tell me the points of anything without having to look it up!

Works on points rather than kcal, but as far as I can tell amounts to the same thing. Got given 30 points to have each day and 40 more for the week. Already caused me to rethink some choices, turns out my single cheese sandwhich with one slice of low fat cheese isn't as good as I thought, so going to have to substitute that with some sliced meat.

And underlines that no, I really can't have 3 or 4 mini rolls in the evening and get away with it!
  • diy
    Choosing an effective diet, starts with you working out your relationship with food. If you go down the calorie restricting route and you find it is depriving you of your "rewards" you'll be miserable and fail.

Cheese is hard to make work, as is pizza, curry and fish and chips - I personally couldn't do any of the calorie counting options - it would make me miserable. I liked doing two days pretty much without food and then having whatever I wanted on other days.
  • Fasting doesn't work for me. Calorie counting does.

So far I've lost 3kg since the start of the month using a modest weekly deficit which is calculated to shift about 0.5kg to 1kg a week. Yes, it means I've had to cut some things out, but it's more in terms of amount of stuff rather than the stuff itself.

Not feeling any hardship at all so far.
    Carrera Subway 2015
    Boardman Hybrid Team 2014
  • diy
    I think the only diets to avoid are those which rely on either appetite suppressors, fat burners, fat blockers or over priced multi-level re-sell models.
  • markhewitt1978
    diy wrote:
    I think the only diets to avoid are those which rely on either appetite suppressors, fat burners, fat blockers or over priced multi-level re-sell models.

I've seen a few where the basic premise is just to make you sweat a lot, so you lose weight that way. If I did an hour on the turbo with no fans and no drink I'm sure I'd be a couple of kg lighter at the end of it too ;)

In the end it all comes down to consuming less calories than you use. Within that of course is a world of possibilities!
  • diy wrote:

Yup. Absolutely agree with that.
    Carrera Subway 2015
    Boardman Hybrid Team 2014
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    diy wrote:
    Choosing an effective diet, starts with you working out your relationship with food. If you go down the calorie restricting route and you find it is depriving you of your "rewards" you'll be miserable and fail.

Cheese is hard to make work, as is pizza, curry and fish and chips - I personally couldn't do any of the calorie counting options - it would make me miserable. I liked doing two days pretty much without food and then having whatever I wanted on other days.

My experience too. Cannot do calorie counting all the time; it gets boring and I give in to cravings. Fasting 2 days a week is a doddle by comparison, and seems effective. I also like the idea of other positive benefits on blood lipids, insulin sensitivity etc.

Last week was an all-inclusive holiday with my wife's extended family, and entering into the spirit of the thing I put on a pound a day! Now after returning to normal eating, no booze, one bike ride and one fast day, I've lost 3 pounds in as many days. :D
  • markhewitt1978
    Water weight ;). Always notice a big increase after a high carb day which then quickly disappears again in the following days.

Holidays are always a problem! Last year in Mallorca I managed to put on 6lb and worse than that gave up my diet afterwards.

Going on holiday in a months time, although this time a holiday cottage near Bristol but refraining from putting weight on will be hard when so much of going on holiday revolves around food.