Tour of the Basque Country 2016

Comments

• jam1e wrote:
    Henao could have gone on that last climb and prob have taken the victory himself but just marked bertie instead, good win for Sanchez though.

I bloody well hope he doesn't have to work for Landa tomoz. He's the stronger of the two, here
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,705
    Samu has turned back the clock to 2008.
    Henao looked the strongest by some margin, but I read elsewhere that Contador caught him on the final time up the Aia climb.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    No, from what I saw Henao was off and clear up the climb (despite wheelspinning his way up it) and bertie was going backwards. Henao sat up over the top then bertie and Quintana closed the gap after the climb was done.
  • blazing_saddles
    jam1e wrote:
    No, from what I saw Henao was off and clear up the climb (despite wheelspinning his way up it) and bertie was going backwards. Henao sat up over the top then bertie and Quintana closed the gap after the climb was done.

Sorry, I was being a bit cryptic there.
    I agree.
    That's what I saw, too, but the impression I got from elsewhere was that they were watching a different race. :wink:
  • jam1e
    Sorry, bit too quick to bite there - I'd just read what I assume was the same bit of revisionism as as you and was still in "wtf do these loons see when watching a bike race?!" mode.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    As I am the only other one posting which bit are you two taking offence to?
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    imatfaal wrote:

In The Other Place there seems to be a firm belief that Contador reeled in Henao with barely a few strokes of his pedals.

FWIW, I though both Contador and Quintana looked decent enough on the last climb. It's just that Henao goes really rather well on that sort of steep stuff.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • The_Boy
    Speaking of which (and thread drift alert), now that all my ante-post bets are down I must have look at the betting for Fleche.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • jam1e wrote:
    Sorry, bit too quick to bite there - I'd just read what I assume was the same bit of revisionism as as you and was still in "wtf do these loons see when watching a bike race?!" mode.

The hardcore Bertie fans have special Bertovision glasses
  • imatfaal
    The_Boy wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:

In The Other Place there seems to be a firm belief that Contador reeled in Henao with barely a few strokes of his pedals.

FWIW, I though both Contador and Quintana looked decent enough on the last climb. It's just that Henao goes really rather well on that sort of steep stuff.

Ah - enlightenment. BTW - what is The Other Place? I have seen it referred to before (is it the same as the clinic/asylum or whatever it is called)
  • jam1e
    It's best you don't know to be honest!
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Another great last 20k of the stage, these lads sure know how to pile on the pain and we haven't even got to the Queen stage (today) then the up hill time trial! Last 2 stages will be fantastic. Real good entertainment, chapeau to the peleton for digging in.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    imatfaal wrote:

Ah - enlightenment. BTW - what is The Other Place? I have seen it referred to before (is it the same as the clinic/asylum or whatever it is called)

Cyclingnews forum. Have a look, back off in disgust and never go back.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    I still can barely get my head around the fact that Kelly used to do this race in the same week as Flanders and Roubaix.

In 84 and 86 he went 2-1-1 in RVV, ToBC, PR. For good measure he took out MSR in 86 too. Incredible.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Timoid. wrote:
    I still can barely get my head around the fact that Kelly used to do this race in the same week as Flanders and Roubaix.

In 84 and 86 he went 2-1-1 in RVV, ToBC, PR. For good measure he took out MSR in 86 too. Incredible.
    And moving on......... :shock:
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 216
    Bo Duke wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

And moving on......... :shock:

:D
  • epc06
    Beastly stage today, shame Eurosport aren't showing more live coverage
  • The_Boy
    Kiriyenka has pulled out. Also something about Aru hitting the deck
  • imatfaal
    Dan Martin abandoned.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Aru abandon, S.Yates abandon
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • The_Boy
    Gerrans and Hesjedal abandons
  • The_Boy
    Leader's group down to 13 riders after that climb.
  • epc06
    Rosa still looks to me...Hope he can stay out
  • The_Boy
    Yeah, unless he blows a gasket I reckon he has this.
  • imatfaal
    Landa off the front of the favourites and linked up with Davide Lopez who has dropped back from group 2 / stragglers
  • blazing_saddles
    If the future of cycling coverage is mostly helicopter shots, with Kirby commentating, then might as well wait for the results on CQ or PCS.
  • epc06
    If the future of cycling coverage is mostly helicopter shots, with Kirby commentating, then might as well wait for the results on CQ or PCS.

He's persisting with the 'I don't trust these time gaps' line. Doing my nut in today
  • epc06
    Rosa's lead has increased in last 15k. Remarkable show of endurance from the Italian riding for Astana.
  • The_Boy
    What are the numbers on this last climb, does anyone know?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Contador is like the protagonist in a video game who has to battle all Froome's minions before he gets to fight the boss himself
    Twitter: @RichN95