La primavera - Milan San Remo 2016 **SPOILERS**

Comments

• milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Can you imagine if Degenkolb was riding as well? Could have been the most competitive edition ever.

Matthews, Cancellara and GVA absolutely flying, Kristoff been top 2 the last 2 years, Sagan always thereabouts, Gaviria a massive talent.

Quality.
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    Don't know if this has been covered Tom D is out.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    On the off chance does anyone know where might show this in manchester? Rapha? Have eurosport but fancy being in a place with other people.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Woah. Doing that for MSR? Dangerous game.

The tradition for watching MSR is as follows.

Fall asleep and wake up when they hit the cipressa. Watch the sprinters carefully on the overhead and see how far they fall back.

When they hit the Poggio you're up on your feet, inches from your big flatscreen HD TV shouting all the names who are falling off the back, making lots of "ooooo" sounds as you see riders begin to creak and crack.

The inevitable attack happens and you start cheering or shouting, and usually fairly quickly they hit the descent.

At that point your nose is almost on the screen as you try to pick out who's doing what on the descent.

By the time they reach the bottom you're jumping around/ hands on the back of your head, and you watch the sprint by shouting the name of the first to commit, followed by repeating the name of the guy coming up fastest, rising louder with each repeat.

They cross the line, you shout their name to your bemused and possibly irritated other half and go "right, dinner" and toddle off to the kitchen.

Can't do that in the pub mate.
  • I will confess, my MSR ritual usually revolves around remembering it's on about 15km from the end. I do enjoy the doomed big ring efforts up the Poggio though, I love a good exercise in futility.

Best San Remo win? Bettini in the stripes.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • I will confess, my MSR ritual usually revolves around remembering it's on about 15km from the end. I do enjoy the doomed big ring efforts up the Poggio though, I love a good exercise in futility.

Best San Remo win? Bettini in the stripes.

them hitting the coast line is my official start of Spring
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Italy v Wales > MSR.

If it was Rugby League I might be interested... buy not union.

MSR all the way.
  • rick_chasey
    £20 on Cancellara each way for 12/1

Free £20 on Bouhani each way at 10/1
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Woah. Doing that for MSR? Dangerous game.

The tradition for watching MSR is as follows.

Fall asleep and wake up when they hit the cipressa. Watch the sprinters carefully on the overhead and see how far they fall back.

When they hit the Poggio you're up on your feet, inches from your big flatscreen HD TV shouting all the names who are falling off the back, making lots of "ooooo" sounds as you see riders begin to creak and crack.

The inevitable attack happens and you start cheering or shouting, and usually fairly quickly they hit the descent.

At that point your nose is almost on the screen as you try to pick out who's doing what on the descent.

By the time they reach the bottom you're jumping around/ hands on the back of your head, and you watch the sprint by shouting the name of the first to commit, followed by repeating the name of the guy coming up fastest, rising louder with each repeat.

They cross the line, you shout their name to your bemused and possibly irritated other half and go "right, dinner" and toddle off to the kitchen.

Can't do that in the pub mate.

Calm down Carlton
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • rick_chasey
    Oi get out.

Like Carlton ever looks at the screen.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Headwind along the coast meaning headwind after the Poggio.

Betancur riding too.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    Joelsim wrote:

Betancur riding too.

Movistar's windbreak.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • joelsim
    Joelsim wrote:

Betancur riding too.

Movistar's windbreak.

He'll probably win it, taking off 50km before the Cipressa and TTing to victory with 4'30 to spare.

Or he'll be found mid race in the Drive-Thru.
  • milton50

Good bets. Is each way top 3 in cycling?
  • joelsim
    I've got Gaviria at 40/1 for the win. £3

And Gaviria MSR/Kristoff RVV at 230/1. £1

And Gaviria MSR/Valverde RVV at 2,090/1. £1
  • joelsim
    Swift at 50/1 looks tempting.
  • milton50
    Joelsim wrote:

Good luck with that.
  • joelsim
    Milton50 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Good luck with that.

Near certainty.

Placed in January.

But for the price of a bag of Haribo...
  • rick_chasey
    Milton50 wrote:

Hope so.
  • Shadowrider
    Milton50 wrote:

Hope so.

That's what Paddy is paying.
  • joelsim
    Skybet, Tote, BetFred and Coral are paying first 4 places, all the others 3.
  • Shadowrider
    Joelsim wrote:

Just looked on PP there and now it says 1-4
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Joelsim wrote:

What do they pay for a place?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Joelsim wrote:
    I've got Gaviria at 40/1 for the win. £3

And Gaviria MSR/Kristoff RVV at 230/1. £1

Too far for Gaviria

:wink:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Interesting titbit on the Cycling Podcast. Kelly was on a sponsor's bonus if he won a monument wearing that helmet in 1992
    So he went back to the car to get it.

kelly+wins+milan+san+remo.jpg
  • bobmcstuff
    So whats the consensus, will it be on at Rapha? The shouting etc is good for me, I don't mind embarrassing myself at rapha because I'll never go there otherwise...

Other thing is I have a thirty quid voucher for a beer place round the corner from rapha so it works out nicely.
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    So whats the consensus, will it be on at Rapha? The shouting etc is good for me, I don't mind embarrassing myself at rapha because I'll never go there otherwise...

Other thing is I have a thirty quid voucher for a beer place round the corner from rapha so it works out nicely.

They usually show most of the races, might be worth checking the website/twitter just to double check.
  • joelsim
    Joelsim wrote:

What do they pay for a place?

1/4 usually but it does vary.
  • bobmcstuff
    Nothing on their website apart from "screen all major road races and more", and I don't understand twitter. Will probably risk it.