Compact Crank vs Semi-Compact

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Fenix wrote:
    If you look at beginners they are usually pedalling about 60rpm. If anything they learn to spin faster as they get better. 40rpm would be very much at the lower end of the spectrum but it's your knees....

As to racing a 10 with a 53 11 - that's no problem.
    Unless that's your lowest gear. You're not going to be pushing that on a 10.

Bit concerned I might be undergeared with a 53/11 on my next 10 - its a very fast course, particularly if you get a tailwind on the homeward leg. Will just have to give it a go though, not quite ready to invest in a bigger chainring yet.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Fenix wrote:
    If you look at beginners they are usually pedalling about 60rpm. If anything they learn to spin faster as they get better. 40rpm would be very much at the lower end of the spectrum but it's your knees....

Thought that sprockets smaller than 14t start to drop off in efficiency. There is discusison about that in Obree's book where he reccommends using the largest chainring possible. Also Wiggin's choice of 58x14, no conincidence... 50x12 is very close to the same ratio. Hmm. I also remember the same from an article with analysis of derailier gears vs hub gear efficiency.

Tony Martin running a 56(?) or 58t ring is to have a better chainline and a really big gear for down hill. Even he's not riding 58x12 on the flat.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Alex99 wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

Thought that sprockets smaller than 14t start to drop off in efficiency. There is discusison about that in Obree's book where he reccommends using the largest chainring possible. Also Wiggin's choice of 58x14, no conincidence... 50x12 is very close to the same ratio. Hmm. I also remember the same from an article with analysis of derailier gears vs hub gear efficiency.

Tony Martin running a 56(?) or 58t ring is to have a better chainline and a really big gear for down hill. Even he's not riding 58x12 on the flat.

All makes sense.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Is the place to ask if I could fit 52 X 36 to my 10 speed ultegra compact 50x 34 :?:
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Webboo wrote:
    Is the place to ask if I could fit 52 X 36 to my 10 speed ultegra compact 50x 34 :?:

Yes, it's a good place to ask as long as you are thick skinned and have a good knowledge of the gears that Eddy Merckx rode with.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,696
    ^ :D I've enjoyed these 8 pages in the Beginners subforum.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,374
    Alex99 wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

In the case of Wiggo and O'Bree, I wonder what the difference in cadence is between the 58 x 14 and the 50 x 12 is. These things were probably tested and calculated to the nth degree.

When Cadel Evans won the TdF and won the TT on the penultimate day was done at an average 105 rpm on a rolling course which lasted just over an hour.
    Almost 3 weeks of pedalling over huge mountains and long stages in all conditions, yet he still managed that average cadence. His legs probably weren't that strong at that point which underlines the importance of cadence and top notch CV fitness. My supposition about his ability to sustain power at that point in the race as opposed to a lower gear but high cadence surely has some merit.
    After all, what are gears for - they act as a torque multiplication device.
    If we as amateurs use the excuse that they are pro's and we can't learn from them, then it's BS.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    orraloon wrote:

Yep - perhaps we can go back to the fish-based puns.... ;)
  • pinno
    Imposter wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Stop carping on about this thread.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    :lol:

None of this really mantas (that was my first fish-based pun on this thread)...
  • pinno
    edited March 2016
    I shall quote the great Freddy Marlins on this subject, I think it's apt. You'll have to forgive my translation, it's a bit scaly.

"Racing in my first Cat fish race, I was in a large grouper along with my chub mates, when the great shark Johnny Bass passed me, high on his perch like I was a small fry minnow as he spun his Chain Pickerel bike a Barbel on speed. 'What's he doing for f*cks hake?', I shouted to Eddy Bocaccio Who replied, 'he's on a char, trying to get to the front of the shoal'. I knew then he was on tope..."

Cont. p94.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Webboo wrote:

Yes as long as they are 110 BCD 5 bolt like these https://www.mantel.com/uk/ta-specialite ... GwodkvYK3g

Your cannot use the 6800 rings as they are 4 bolt.
  • pinno
    DJ58 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

Yes as long as they are 110 BCD 5 bolt like these https://www.mantel.com/uk/ta-specialite ... GwodkvYK3g

You've gone and done it, haven't you? :roll:
  • Alex99
    Pinno wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

In the case of Wiggo and O'Bree, I wonder what the difference in cadence is between the 58 x 14 and the 50 x 12 is. These things were probably tested and calculated to the nth degree.

I work 50x12 to be 0.58% bigger gear than 58x14, so for the same speed, less than 1 RPM slower cadence. Could be noticeable for Wiggo I guess...?
  • Alex99
    orraloon wrote:

The OP got his answer and cleared off a long, long time ago :D
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    newcycle wrote:
    I have a currently 50/34 compact crankset, and everyone says I should buy a 52/36 semi-compact crank because I'm loosing speed on the flats compared to my friends.

Sometimes it is true, I feel I can't keep up with the crowd on the peloton because of my 50/34.
    If i change to a 52/36, what difference will it make ?? on the flats ??

thank you,
    I'm not sure he did get his answer. Whether he has compact or a Semi will make not difference, he is being left behind on the flats because his mates are more powerful than he is. Riding more will hopefully in time allow him to get fit and strong enough to keep up.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Pinno wrote:
    DJ58 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

I thought it was a serious question, seeing his spelling of place. :oops: I'll get me coat!
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    Imposter wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

How about tying the bike and fish pun themes together visually..These bikes are cheap but heavy, hence not Crill at climbing...

81j0MF3eDsL._SL1500_.jpg

What do you reckon, not bad or Cod do Batter ?
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    DJ58 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    DJ58 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

I thought it was a serious question, seeing his spelling of place. :oops: I'll get me coat!

You don't have to be brain Sturgeon to see what was occurring there.... I didn't :oops: but I don't Hake myself for that......
  • Alex99
    MikeBrew wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

How about tying the bike and fish pun themes together visually..These bikes are cheap but heavy, hence not Crill at climbing...

What do you reckon, not bad or Cod do Batter ?

Cod do batter :lol: I'm going to store that for later use.
  • Alex99
    edited March 2016
    t4tomo wrote:
    newcycle wrote:
    I have a currently 50/34 compact crankset, and everyone says I should buy a 52/36 semi-compact crank because I'm loosing speed on the flats compared to my friends.

Sometimes it is true, I feel I can't keep up with the crowd on the peloton because of my 50/34.

thank you,
    I'm not sure he did get his answer. Whether he has compact or a Semi will make not difference, he is being left behind on the flats because his mates are more powerful than he is. Riding more will hopefully in time allow him to get fit and strong enough to keep up.

Indeed. Good luck to him/her. There has been some funny stuff come out on this topic.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Alex99 wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:
    newcycle wrote:

thank you,

OK, maybe he just gave up.
    and took up fishing.
  • pinno
    ^ +1

I doubt there is another thread that has been so full of cranks as this one.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Webboo wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:
    newcycle wrote:

thank you,

OK, maybe he just gave up.
    and took up fishing.

You think he's been left reeling then?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Is it my imagination or are some people on this topic thinking that they must buy a new crankset in order to get this so-called semi compact gearing? As opposed to simply buying new rings?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Is it my imagination or are some people on this topic thinking that they must buy a new crankset in order to get this so-called semi compact gearing? As opposed to simply buying new rings?
  • Alex99
    Pinno wrote:
    ^ +1

I doubt there is another thread that has been so full of cranks as this one.

BOOM
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Alex99 wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

All very well for pros like Martin and Wiggins - but this is the beginners forum ? Anyone thinking they can push pro gears is mistaken.

And what about jockey wheels ? They're 11 teeth aren't they ? If we're worried about smaller sprockets we should be oversizing those too ?
  • pinno
    dennisn wrote:

What?! Don't go spoiling 9 pages of factual information, common sense and reason with your silly ideas.
  • Alex99
    dennisn wrote:

Some might be wrongly thinking it. Some, like me, would have to get new cranks though. As posted previously, no 36t chainring onto a 130 BCD crank.