Caad10 Disc Frame and Fork - Evans

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
With all the hype over the EVO recently I thought I would take a look at the Caad 10 again. Did anyone get one of the black inc frames from Evans recently? If so did the frame come with headset and bb fitted?

Also is the black inc thing just a sales gimmick or is the frame and fork different to a standard Caad10?

Plan to build this up over time as I always like to have a project on the go :)

Comments

• Frame the same, pretty much, as standard, finish may be lighter. Fork on rim brake black editions was hi-mod and lighter than standard. No idea if that's the case for disc versions.

'Dale framesets will include headset, not fitted. Check regarding BB, some do, some don't.
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    I bought one from Evans. Metalic gloss black with Gold pin-stripe surround, on : front of head tube; front of fork blades; and top of top-tube. The rest is Matt finish, I'm not sure whether it is paint or anodized but suspect the latter. Headset icluded but not fitted. No bottom bracket, but I got FSA BB30 bottom bracket kit for a tenner from PX; this included the bearings, cir-clips, bearing shields, and wavy washer.

These frames also have full internal cable routing, whereas normal '10 only has IR for rear brake cable.
    I can't tell you much more as I've yet to build mine up, though I can't seem to locate them on Evans' new website. Can't imagine they've sold out already, though I bought a 56cm of which they only had about 12, I believe.
    The frameset looks very nice in the flesh.
  • bmxboy10
    Cheers can you send me the link for the Px bb30 please?
  • MikeBrew
    solboy10 wrote:
    Cheers can you send me the link for the Px bb30 please?

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BBFSBB30SL ... -cranksets
  • bmxboy10
    Its here! Looks flippin awesome. Going for Praxis insert so I can use Shimano groupset.
  • MikeBrew
    Good, good.... So you managed to navigate their new website better than I could then ..... I found them in the end though. What size did you get ? - I see it's a 10 day wait for some of them.
    BTW, any chance of a heads up on where/how to get a "special price" on a set of Pro Lite Revo's ?...
  • bmxboy10
    Went for a 54 as I normally ride a 56 so fingers crossed!

Ill PM you ref Revos
  • MikeBrew
    :) Thanks
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    solboy10 wrote:
    Went for a 54 as I normally ride a 56 so fingers crossed!

Ill PM you ref Revos

Haha!

I normally ride 54 but changed this to 56 because of their recommendation and folks here recon that at 180 cm i should be straddling a 56.
  • bmxboy10
    I know the 56 is too long in the reach as I sat on a 56 Evo. My ideal TT length is 55cm with 100mm stem so think I did the right thing.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Gutted. I deliberated a day too long at Evans are not out of stock of the 56cm. It would only have been £311 with my Evans discount too. :(
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Beatmaker wrote:
    Gutted. I deliberated a day too long at Evans are not out of stock of the 56cm. It would only have been £311 with my Evans discount too. :(

Have you been to the store? Sometimes they have 1 or 2 left but in store only.
  • MikeBrew
    Beatmaker wrote:

Size 56 were showing "delivered in 10 days" only yesterday ?
  • bmxboy10
    These days I tend to buy now think later! I can always return a bargain if I change my mind.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    solboy10 wrote:
    These days I tend to buy now think later!

Admit it... You're a banker aren't you?? :lol:
  • Beatmaker
    redvision wrote:
    Beatmaker wrote:

Have you been to the store? Sometimes they have 1 or 2 left but in store only.

I called Evans hoping there maybe an errant frame hanging around somewhere but they confirmed they have indeed all gone.
  • Beatmaker
    It looks like I got a second bite of the cherry on this one after all, the frame just appeared back in stock in a 56cm, so I grabbed it.
  • MikeBrew
    Just out of interest what is the frame number ? Only I sent the first one I received back recently, after receiving a replacement from Evans. Also I actually asked the local Evans shop yesterday what had become of it, which prompted them to check the store room and might have resulted in it being logged back into stock on the system.
  • Beatmaker
    Not sure Mike, it won't arrive a 10 days according the the order confirmation. What did you return it for?
  • MikeBrew
    To be honest, I really don't think there was anything wrong with it, other than the fact that the box had clearly absorbed a significant whack in transit. I only took it home as they assured me that the box was way oversize and the frame would have been totally isolated from the point of impact.
    I got it home and couldn't see any obvious damage, but noted that the rear stays where not isolated at all from the end of the box in question . I took the view that it was a now or never exchange as the stock wouldn't be around for long, that being the case I took it back. I have to say Evans were as good as gold and organised the swap without question. As I say, the frame was probably perfectly OK, I was just being cautious as a problem that reared it's head at a later date would have meant refund as there would be no replacement available...

BTW how do you get a 15-16 % discount from Evans ?
  • Beatmaker
    I get (or got should I say) additional corporate discount with my employer. It was a well timed restock as I left the company on Monday!
  • bmxboy10
    Btw Praxis adaptors don't fit this frame
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,263
    solboy10 wrote:
    With all the hype over the EVO recently I thought I would take a look at the Caad 10 again. Did anyone get one of the black inc frames from Evans recently? If so did the frame come with headset and bb fitted?

Also is the black inc thing just a sales gimmick or is the frame and fork different to a standard Caad10?

Plan to build this up over time as I always like to have a project on the go :)

Didn't you recently buy a Condor Fratello disc? How many disc bikes do you need?
    left the forum March 2023
  • bmxboy10
    I don't need any
  • MikeBrew
    solboy10 wrote:
    Btw Praxis adaptors don't fit this frame

Why is that then ?
  • bmxboy10
    Internal cable routing prevents it fitting on this frame
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Loving that. And I think it's made up my mind to go Fizik 00 on my Supersix
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • OJS
    OJS Posts: 130
    I just ordered one of these in 52. I was gonna go for a 12 but thought I'd give doing a bespoke road build a go and save a few quid in the process.

I've got roughly £1200 to throw at building the frame into the full bike. What would folk suggest for the group and wheels, bear in mind its for club runs and sportives, not racing. Thinking Force or Ultegra hydros with some handbuilts at around £350/£400. Not sure what to do with the cranks if go ultegra, seems a waste to shim it down to use a standard crank?
  • bmxboy10
    I'm going good old 105 withrs685 brakes and pro lite revo wheels will come in just over a grand!