Volta ao Algarve ****No spoilers yet****

13»

Comments

• jam1e wrote:
    What's even better is they're only upset because he beat True Champion(TM) and proven doper Bertie - that bastion of integrity.

Yes, that's a big dollop of it
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,346
    Pinno wrote:
    You have to counter all this smaller race success with the fact that he is a Super Domestique, is employed in this capacity and when the Paris-Nice, the week long tours and the GT's kick off, his objectives will change accordingly.
    15th in the TdF is very respectable, all things considered but he'll have to be strong since Porte's absence and a little bit of the unknown. A guy like Froome in a team like SKY will have class to assist him. So why the surprise with Geraint Thomas?

Pinno, did you see that link Maca posted to a piece someone had written about why there was no point in replying to trolls posting comments? Cos there is no point in trying to talk reason with unreasonable people? That's what we're talking about here

I doubt very much most people on this forum are surprised by Geraint's TT today. He's been posting decent TT results for a good few years.

Maybe I was just talking to myself. :wink:

Most of the time, no one listens anyway, so why does it matter? :roll: :D
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pinno wrote:
    You have to counter all this smaller race success with the fact that he is a Super Domestique, is employed in this capacity and when the Paris-Nice, the week long tours and the GT's kick off, his objectives will change accordingly.
    15th in the TdF is very respectable, all things considered but he'll have to be strong since Porte's absence and a little bit of the unknown. A guy like Froome in a team like SKY will have class to assist him. So why the surprise with Geraint Thomas?

Pinno, did you see that link Maca posted to a piece someone had written about why there was no point in replying to trolls posting comments? Cos there is no point in trying to talk reason with unreasonable people? That's what we're talking about here

I doubt very much most people on this forum are surprised by Geraint's TT today. He's been posting decent TT results for a good few years.

Hopefully, he'll give them some real cause to implode, in the coming months. :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Pinno wrote:

Hopefully, he'll give them some real cause to implode, in the coming months. :wink:

It's already started, and will only get worse as the season rolls on. A Monument and another Tour and the internet will break.
  • crash of LL Sanchez ,i read on Twitter that crash happened on a roundabout. weird roundabout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxgaENj74UU
  • The withdrawal of Kwiato at the last minute is proof of doping according to Twitter .Even more because he rode 185 kms Thursday. If you look at his record on Strava, we see that he has not used his bike Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and Friday. And he has not done much the previous weekend. A sick Sky rider: suspect . this is sad.

https://www.strava.com/pros/1905161
  • pinno
    crash of LL Sanchez ,i read on Twitter that crash happened on a roundabout. weird roundabout.

Pretty rough surface. Dunno of he hadn't done a recce previously but that surface is ridiculous for a professional TT event regardless.

@thchris1968. It's early season. No one is really serious at this point and Kwiatowski will probably be targeting the classics.
    Is it sad that he is suspected of doping or you believe it? I cannot say I am mad keen on SKY but I do respect the fact that they are possibly the cleanest pro outfit in the peloton.
  • joelsim
    Just let the anti-Sky brigade do their own thing. There's nothing anyone can say that will change their minds. The lack of hard evidence irks them so they clutch at straws. They'll still be clutching in 10 years time
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,326
    Woop woop! Geraint takes the overall, Contador the stage.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    By my reckoning that's a podium for my man Peanut.

edit: actually, perhaps not. the gap on GC was 20s - same as gap on the stage today. So i assume Contador takes third due to stage win?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • The_Boy wrote:
    By my reckoning that's a podium for my man Peanut.

edit: actually, perhaps not. the gap on GC was 20s - same as gap on the stage today. So i assume Contador takes third due to stage win?

Yes, he does

I'd post a clip of the finish, but as Bert's doing his ridiculous celebratory pistol nonsense...meh
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

I'd post a clip of the finish, but as Bert's doing his ridiculous celebratory pistol nonsense...meh

Why does he think that's still a good idea?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:

Not sure that self-awareness features high on his list of qualities
  • Pinno wrote:
    crash of LL Sanchez ,i read on Twitter that crash happened on a roundabout. weird roundabout.

Pretty rough surface. Dunno of he hadn't done a recce previously but that surface is ridiculous for a professional TT event regardless.

@thchris1968. It's early season. No one is really serious at this point and Kwiatowski will probably be targeting the classics.
    Is it sad that he is suspected of doping or you believe it? I cannot say I am mad keen on SKY but I do respect the fact that they are possibly the cleanest pro outfit in the peloton.

It is sad that he is suspected of doping
  • ^Chris, a tiny tiny number of Twitter saddoes. Who in turn constitute a tiny fraction of people who are into cycling and who are on Twitter. Who in turn form a tiny fraction of people who ride bikes, follow cycling, turn out roadside to watch bike races, watch races on tv or online feeds

It's easy enough to get caught up in the Twitter bubble and think a few loudmouths mean anything, or represent anything meaningful. But they don't and they don't.
  • Some half decent footage here.
    The bouncy man had managed to get ahead of the pack before he rode away to fire his pistol, so the gap may well be flattering.
    Then onto G on the podium and a bit his chat.
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=770500729717845
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • joelsim
    ^Chris, a tiny tiny number of Twitter saddoes. Who in turn constitute a tiny fraction of people who are into cycling and who are on Twitter. Who in turn form a tiny fraction of people who ride bikes, follow cycling, turn out roadside to watch bike races, watch races on tv or online feeds

It's easy enough to get caught up in the Twitter bubble and think a few loudmouths mean anything, or represent anything meaningful. But they don't and they don't.

Even less if you've blocked them Simon. :lol:
  • ^totes, Joel

The block button is my fave Twitter feature
  • joelsim
    Well you are something to do with Sky's inner circle apparently.
  • pinno
    Joelsim wrote:
    Well you are something to do with Sky's inner circle apparently.

He is?!

Right, RR2 - Does Froome sleep in a n Oxygen tent at night? Does he sterilise his toothpick? Does D Brailsford plug himself to the charger at night? How many bars of soap do they use a week? Where's does the electric motor testing take place?...
  • Sigh

Right, back to Planet Earth & the actual race

when was this race last broadcast live? I'm remembering 2013 edition broadcast, I think? Defo the 2012 one
  • i know that i am off topic but with 5 days without races..... last 29 minutes of Colombian National Road Race 2016 won by Edwin Avila , fail by Quintana and Movistar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTwhqqPYrsM
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Some half decent footage here.
    The bouncy man had managed to get ahead of the pack before he rode away to fire his pistol, so the gap may well be flattering.
    Then onto G on the podium and a bit his chat.
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=770500729717845
    With the exception of a little bit of bad music - that was pretty well put together for a short highlights stage. Got the Yellow being dropped, the stage winner and the important break and the GC rolling in and a quick interview. Lovely.

Looked like lots of people on the roads too. Compare that to the middle east races taking place...
  • iainf72 wrote:

I thought Bert was giving up the pistol thing as a mark of respect for the shootings in Paris? Isn't this his first race/win since then?

Short memory.
  • I'm honestly not sure anybody connects Contador's imaginary pistol with a massacre. Find it hard to get excited.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    I'm honestly not sure anybody connects Contador's imaginary pistol with a massacre. Find it hard to get excited.

He's mostly been firing blanks since last May, anyway. #Bertie'sSpudgun
    But perhaps he should put a stop to the ambiguity and either mime an RPG rocket launch/triggering an explosive vest, or drop the whole thing all together...
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    It's too late in his career to re-brand...
  • arnuf
    arnuf Posts: 98
    It´s no more silly now than it was in 2007.
  • arnuf wrote:
    It´s no more silly now than it was in 2007.

And it was bloody stupid then