Which Cannondale??

Comments

• letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    simon t wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    I am 6'1" and find a 56 SuperSix big.

The chainsets vary widely between those 3. One oddly seems to say it comes with a standard and spare compact.
    Would have thought the semi compact 2015 would be the best bet if you really are happy going from a Roubaix to something much sportier.

Tyre clearance might be a consideration too.
    The new Hi-Mod comes with 25mm tyres, but make sure the old SuperSix does not restrict you to ones you are not happy with.

Bugger, I,m 6ft and was about to pull the trigger on a 56cm frame from Paul's. Did the bike you rode have a longish stem ?

Body shapes are different of course, I am shorter than you - I have ridden a 56 and it is a better fit than the 54 I have (the 54 was a bargain I could not turn down!). If you are long in leg - which I am for my height - then the saddle-bar drop can be significant on the 54 - less so on the 56.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    A build with that Hi Mod frame would be my choice. Whichever groupset you prefer, eg Ultegra, Force, Dura Ace etc. Some nice handbuilt wheels. Good fun picking all the finishing kit.

A good LBS will put it all together for you if you don't fancy tackling it yourself.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    coriordan wrote:
    2K to spend I would say:

750 - frameset
    200 - finishing kit (FSA and Thomson do 25.4 seatposts if you want matching)
    450 - groupset (ultegra 6800)
    500 - wheels (Mavic or shimano 9000 I guess?)

Personal preference would be up the budget and go DA9000 groupset and note that the BB is BB30 so you'll need a compatible chainset or an adapter (Praxisworks is meant to be good). Also I dunno if you need to spend 500 on wheels. 300 may be plenty (RS81 C24)?

+1 on this. Some bike shops for a fee can put it together for you. The only difference with the above I would make is with the wheels - depending on the situation I would go with:
    1. Cero AR30 from Cycledivision - if you are riding in the dry predominantly - they are surprisingly robust (4+ years of problem free riding for me.
    2. Handbuilts - Archetypes -Sapim spokes (Miche or Ultegra hubs) - an almost fit or forget solution if you ride in all weather conditions.

Decent tyres are a must - personal current favourite is the Schwalbe One.

If you are more on a budget then you can replace the Ultegra above with 105 (5800) - which is at bargain prices right now.
  • Is it better to go shimano rather than SRAM then?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    SRAM red is lighter, other than that it's all personal preference. I like shimano
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    Carbonator wrote:

The chainsets vary widely between those 3. One oddly seems to say it comes with a standard and spare compact.
    Would have thought the semi compact 2015 would be the best bet if you really are happy going from a Roubaix to something much sportier.

The new Hi-Mod comes with 25mm tyres, but make sure the old SuperSix does not restrict you to ones you are not happy with.

I'm surprised by this, I'm 183cm and find a 56 perfect.
  • Looks like they only have the frame in 56, will have to get down the bike shop tomorrow and see if I can try one out
  • Anonymous
    6ft = 56 frame. Probably 5.11 to 6.2 would be perfect. 6.2 may be a bit towards the top end. 6.0 would be bang on. Enjoy the purchase / build.
  • herzog
    herzog Posts: 197
    I'm 180cm and a 56 SS HM fits perfectly (100mm stem).
  • MikeBrew
    Of course you could go the Caad 10 route. The main difference that you'll actually be able to notice will be in the padding of your post purchase wallet. Evans have the whole bike (56 only) at £899, and Pauls have the frame-set (various sizes) for a bargaintastic £399.
    Evans also have Evo 105 @ £999 in their Evans-only custom black and green colourway.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Evans also have Caad 10 Disc Black Inc F&F for £359 if only I were more supple....
  • No 56 Caad 10's left @ Pauls. Bummer.
  • simon t
    simon t Posts: 132
    No 56 Caad 10's left @ Pauls. Bummer.
    They are still showing 56cm in stock on the website
  • Are you sure ? I'm only seeing 52, 54, 58 ?
  • simon t
    simon t Posts: 132
    Are you sure ? I'm only seeing 52, 54, 58 ?

I was looking at the hi mod frames :D
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Whichever frame you choose I'd go with USE finishing kit as the wheels are on offer at Rutland Cycles, £599 for carbon clinchers or tubs if you like, half price !
    Sram Force for the BB30 chainset and the fact that its better than Ultegra :wink:
    Or just buy the complete bike if its easier for you as they're complete bargains too.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • MikeBrew
    No 56 Caad 10's left @ Pauls. Bummer.

How tall are you ? 54 or 58 no good ?
  • Nah, done the 54's. Finally realise I'm cramped up on them & think the 56 was indeed the best size for me !! Wishing I picked up one of those 56 10's now. Still tempted in the Evo Hi Mod frame but I'm a one bike man due to space and wouldn't want to take the thing out in this.
  • Think I am learning towards getting a frame and building it up. Have I covered below everything that I need to buy:

Frame
    Handlebars
    Seatpost
    Groupset (possibly and adapter if getting Shimano)
    Stem
    Handlebar tap
    Seat
    Wheels
    Tyres
  • Anonymous
    Inner tubes
  • mrb123
    Pedals and bottle cages if you don't already have them.
    Possibly a couple of 10mm headset spacers unless you're confident you want it slammed.
    Consider if you want to fit a chain catcher type device, eg Deda Dog Fang.
  • Thanks, have bottle cages, pedals and inner tubes. Good shout on the spacers will add to the list. Never heard of a chain catcher will look into that.
  • Any advice on handlebars and stem, handlebars need to be 44 width.

Thanks
  • mrb123
    Have a look at Deda Zero 100 stuff. Really nice quality kit and pretty good value if you shop around. It usually as cheap as anywhere on Ribble, particularly if you catch one of their 10% off promotions.
  • Anonymous
    The only thing to note is the seat tube diameter is 25.4 (not 27.2 or 31.6) so the choice is a bit limited.

Thomson, FSA and cannondale do seatposts. I rate the Zero100 bars as well but may as well get something really nice for the build. Fizik?
  • herzog
    herzog Posts: 197
    Richey Superlogic comes in 25.4mm - quality piece of kit.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    simon t wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

Bugger, I,m 6ft and was about to pull the trigger on a 56cm frame from Paul's. Did the bike you rode have a longish stem ?

I'm 6 ft but have long legs. On the 56cm SS Evo HM my seatpost is at maximum. The reach is not as long as some bikes of a similar size, so although I have a 100mm currently, I think 110mm would be ideal. It is also not as aggressive as say the Planet X N2A (seat to handlebar drop).
    One thing worth mentioning is now smoothly it rides over rough surfaces, but remains stiff for the climbs.
    Simon
  • Anonymous
    I am 6ft and found it perfect. A friend is also 6ft and just bought one.

I am very surprised someone at 6ft found it big unless they have unusual proportions
  • MikeBrew
    coriordan wrote:
    The only thing to note is the seat tube diameter is 25.4 (not 27.2 or 31.6) so the choice is a bit limited.

Thomson, FSA and cannondale do seatposts. I rate the Zero100 bars as well but may as well get something really nice for the build. Fizik?

I thought that this seat post size was only just brought in on the 2016 Evo Hi Mod. Pretty sure that any prior Evo's be 27.2.
  • Anonymous
    Just checked and you're absolutely right.

Apologies.

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Cannon ... -2015/4BNN