Which Cannondale??

peppern123
peppern123 Posts: 38
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi,
I am looking to upgrade my road bike this year and have spotted a couple of what appear to be good deals. Looking for opinions on the below as to what would be the best deal:

Supersix Evo 2014:
http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p5475/CANNONDALE-SUPERSIX-EVO-RED-2014

Supersix Evo 2015:
http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p5776/CANNONDALE-SUPERSIX-EVO-SRAM-RED-2015

Supersix Racing 2013:
http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p5166/CANNONDALE-SUPERSIX-EVO-HI-MOD-RED-RACING-2013

Any thoughts much appreciated, this is my first post so go easy if I am missing something obvious that makes one of these massively better than the rest.

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Personally I'd go for the first one and spend any leftover money on a decent set of wheels
  • You wont do wrong buying any of them, id get the cheapest and stick some Mavic Elites on them.
  • Thanks for the feedback folks.
  • Is there much difference in the groupsets considering the 2 year gap between them? Sorry not an expert on groupsets and when things have changed.
  • I got the 2015 SRAM RED recently from Pauls.
    It's excellent, swapped wheels to my trusted Elites and it's flying. Reason I got the 2015 was due to size stock limit.

Also a big shoutout to Pauls, ordered the bike on Sunday afternoon, delivered Tuesday morning.
  • wahla21 wrote:
    I got the 2015 SRAM RED recently from Pauls.
    It's excellent, swapped wheels to my trusted Elites and it's flying. Reason I got the 2015 was due to size stock limit.

Also a big shoutout to Pauls, ordered the bike on Sunday afternoon, delivered Tuesday morning.

If there was no size stock limit would you have chosen one of the others?
  • I would deffo considered the 2014 version yes. Same bike really.
  • The 2013 model looks the nicest, but the kit on it is the oldest and given the price you'd want better wheels so go for the 2015 and buy better wheels ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • I had the above choice 4 weeks ago . I bought the 14 as I liked the colour better ;-)
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    The Evo Hi Mod is the better frame and guess probably the better stock wheels (seen as the higher end bike). I picked up the 2015 version and it came with Elite wheels as standard. Not sure what wheels the 2013 has?

Review here..
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... -12-46892/

Standard Evo:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/c ... -in-37175/

edit.. Looks like it comes with Vision TC24, Carbon Rim, 20/24H Tubs??

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... e-ec042962

Might not be the wheels you want (or maybe they are??)
    Simon
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    If you feeling more adventurous you should consider the himod frame and then build up as you wish:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m6b0s25p66 ... FRAME-2015
  • Not sure I have the knowledge to build one after looking into it.

I'm currently riding a specialized Roubaix which I was going to keep as my winter bike and for the commute. Would that be a problem going from one to the other as the frames are different geometrys??

Thanks all for you feedback so far, so is the 2013 the better option if the frame is better??
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    There is a big difference between the geometry of the Roubaix and the evo - two ends of the road bike geometry spectrum. You need to be certain of getting the right fit on the evo. Whether the 2013 option is better is very much a subjective choice - personally I would go for one of the other two options and possibly get a better set of wheels and tyres (this would still be less than the outlay of the 2013 option in total). I would prefer the later iteration of Red (11 speed) rather the 10 speed version.
    Building a bike from a frame set is not as difficult as it might appear.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    If you rooking for a 54cm have you seen the Racing Edition with Sram Force on sale at Westbrooks? This to me would be the best deal and compromise in terms of spec and price. The frame also has internal cabling from what I can see.
  • I'm a 56 on the roubaix, guessing I would be the same on this?
    Been wanting to get something a bit racier than the roubaix but may be worth trying to get a test ride if the difference is that big.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited February 2016
    Big difference and suspect you may be a 54 in a SuperSix if you have a 56 Roubaix.
    How tall are you?
  • 5'10-5'11
  • Anonymous
    It would be significantly different (I.e lower front end) but, one thing to bear in mind is that while this is a pro tour frame, it is not harsh. If you are flexible then it is really lovely to ride. Don't worry about being battered because this is a bike which will not do that. A friend has one and I've ridden it and it is the most fantastic ride. It has very thin tubes (seat stays) and truly glides over rough roads (on RS81 c24s, which are meant to be nice anyway). With a 2.5k budget I would build one up with DA mechanical and wheels of choice tomorrow. Currently lusting after either this or an Scott Addict frameset
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    I had a 56cm Allez and it always felt too big, tried a Six several years ago and the 56 was too long in the reach. I would say you want a 54 too.
  • Anonymous
    I am 6'1" and find a 56 SuperSix big.

The chainsets vary widely between those 3. One oddly seems to say it comes with a standard and spare compact.
    Would have thought the semi compact 2015 would be the best bet if you really are happy going from a Roubaix to something much sportier.

Tyre clearance might be a consideration too.
    The new Hi-Mod comes with 25mm tyres, but make sure the old SuperSix does not restrict you to ones you are not happy with.
  • I wouldn't have a clue where to start with building one up. Would really like to but I struggle adjusting the gears as it is !!
  • Anonymous
    Haha. It's really quite easy and a bike shop will help with hardest parts. (BB/Headset) the rest is a doddle, except for choosing the finishing kit, of course!
  • Tempting, for that kind of budget what would you go for then? Frame, groupset etc?
  • Anonymous
    2K to spend I would say:

750 - frameset
    200 - finishing kit (FSA and Thomson do 25.4 seatposts if you want matching)
    450 - groupset (ultegra 6800)
    500 - wheels (Mavic or shimano 9000 I guess?)

Personal preference would be up the budget and go DA9000 groupset and note that the BB is BB30 so you'll need a compatible chainset or an adapter (Praxisworks is meant to be good). Also I dunno if you need to spend 500 on wheels. 300 may be plenty (RS81 C24)?
  • What would be a compatible chainset without an adapter? SRAM?
  • Anonymous
    Im sure there are plenty. Even cannondale have their own (SiSL). Enjoy the choosing process.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    coriordan wrote:
    It would be significantly different (I.e lower front end) but, one thing to bear in mind is that while this is a pro tour frame, it is not harsh. If you are flexible then it is really lovely to ride. Don't worry about being battered because this is a bike which will not do that. A friend has one and I've ridden it and it is the most fantastic ride. It has very thin tubes (seat stays) and truly glides over rough roads (on RS81 c24s, which are meant to be nice anyway). With a 2.5k budget I would build one up with DA mechanical and wheels of choice tomorrow. Currently lusting after either this or an Scott Addict frameset

Isn't Addict supposed to be less forgiving on bad surfaces? What qualities would redeem it compared to Supersix which can also be ridden very fast? I've not ridden either, just getting more curious what am i missing with my heavy cross bike.

OP, if you want racy, why not get caad10 and put Reynolds or Enves on ^ ^
  • Anonymous
    It's incredibly light for starters!

Go for a test ride
  • simon t
    simon t Posts: 132
    Carbonator wrote:
    I am 6'1" and find a 56 SuperSix big.

The chainsets vary widely between those 3. One oddly seems to say it comes with a standard and spare compact.
    Would have thought the semi compact 2015 would be the best bet if you really are happy going from a Roubaix to something much sportier.

Tyre clearance might be a consideration too.
    The new Hi-Mod comes with 25mm tyres, but make sure the old SuperSix does not restrict you to ones you are not happy with.

Bugger, I,m 6ft and was about to pull the trigger on a 56cm frame from Paul's. Did the bike you rode have a longish stem ?
  • stylish
    stylish Posts: 168
    I'm 5"11 and ride a 56 Supersix, 100mm stem with no problems at all, have no issues with reach and find it very comfortable. I tried a 54 but it felt cramped and I had issues with toe overlap, the front shell caught my shoe when turning.