Half price wheels in white or gold

124»

Comments

• MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    itboffin wrote:
    if they're rebadged kinlin then they've done a good job on the engraving because i have a kinlin front wheel and it looks nothing like the superstar 24

I think he might have been talking specifically about the superstar "Arc31" being a re-badged Kinlin.... (possible the Arc22, also)... The 24 is from the "Elite" model .
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    jonnyc1973 wrote:

Always trying to be involved :-)
    Anyway, what do you think of the wheels? Google suggests that the rims are rebadged kinlin xr31t.

You have to ask the cycle clinic. I have no idea, I have never seen, let alone built, a Kinlin xr31t.

The 2 mm nipple bed of a Kinlin doesn't fill me with bags of confidence, I have to say.... :roll:

Kinlin_XR31_Parent_04__22471.1449518654.500.750.jpg
    left the forum March 2023
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    just did the whole winter to summer wheelset a tyres thing to the entire fleet, we will now experience 6 months of the coldest wettest weather on record.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • edindevon
    edindevon Posts: 325
    As posted by mclovin9091 on HUKD, the code madmay25 now brings these wheels down to £74.99.
  • itboffin
    just put 86 miles into mine, shift was good but plenty of noise in the 12-23T which i just couldnt adjust out so i assume i need the superstar supplied spacer and the shimano one that came with the new ultegra cassette, strange because usually if there's any play i can feel it either by hand or once i start riding.

that would also explain the side to side movement in the smallest gears
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    11 speed hub needs a 1.85mm spacer to tun 8/9 speed cassette, and an additional 1mm spacer to run 10 speed.
  • itboffin
    i just fitted that indexing is still rough in the last two gears, shifting is fine it just runs noisy, no skipping or dropping just noisy.

Seriously dislike ShimaNO gearing I never have these problems with campag or sram
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I have been using a pair of these wheels with Pave 28 rims for a couple of months now. No problem ,I really like them. Just went to the bike to check it for tomorrow and rear tyre was flat. No sign of tread damage. Removed tube to find a 3/4 mm puncture on the wheel side of the tube. When I took the tyre off I can see that the rim tape has moved off centre, exposing part of the spoke holes. Hence a puncture. I have glued the tape in place now.

If you have some it might be worth checking. I had better go and check the front.
  • MikeBrew
    The supplied rim tapes are quite heavy and generally pretty pants. On both sets of wheels that I've had from them( SuperStarComponents), I replaced them with self adhesive cloth tape. The wider rimmed Arc 31's have been a comfort revelation with the lower pressures that I have been able to get away with in them, compared to the narrower Elites.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    I've not owned millions of wheels and don't pretend to be able to check spoke tension just by looking at it so what do I know but I'm loving my bargain Pave 28 wheels.

Only used them half a dozen times now but got to be one of the best bang for buck purchases I've ever made. Wouldn't have bought white rims in a 100 years but I even love those now. Love the way they spread my cheap and nasty 23c tyres and make a cool swishing noise. Love the complete lack of flex compared to the horrible Khamsins they replaced.

Who knows how long they'll last for and maybe all wider wheels are just as cool but for £90 these were a bargain. Appreciate there are mixed feelings out there about Superstar but I also found them a pleasure to deal with.

Anyone else a fan of these or Superstar generally?
  • MikeBrew
    I've not owned millions of wheels and don't pretend to be able to check spoke tension just by looking at it so what do I know but I'm loving my bargain Pave 28 wheels.

Only used them half a dozen times now but got to be one of the best bang for buck purchases I've ever made. Wouldn't have bought white rims in a 100 years but I even love those now. Love the way they spread my cheap and nasty 23c tyres and make a cool swishing noise. Love the complete lack of flex compared to the horrible Khamsins they replaced.

Who knows how long they'll last for and maybe all wider wheels are just as cool but for £90 these were a bargain. Appreciate there are mixed feelings out there about Superstar but I also found them a pleasure to deal with.

Anyone else a fan of these or Superstar generally?

Yep, bought a set of these and a set of their CX-RAY pro Build Arc 31's. Super tough build, light, tensioned perfectly, and redunculously good value for money ! No wonder some of their competition like to take cheap shot at their rep whenever the opportunity presents ....
  • itboffin
    Yeah I have the elite 24 and 30 and they are very good but both sets went out of true in less than 200 miles which is a bit disappointing but otherwise good light cheap wheels
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I bought the white Pave 28 wheels. I thought they were great when received them and I still do.

I have done about 2000kms on them and they are still perfect.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    It's been six months since I started this thread and I'm a fan of white Pave wheels - it's just a shame that they seem to have discontinued that colour now! My original plan had been to keep them as my Winter wheels and get a set of handbuilt lightweight wheels for the Summer, but I'm moving more towards riding them until they fall to bits and then get another pair the same.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er