Half price wheels in white or gold

Comments

• MikeBrew wrote:
    As far as increased bike performance goes, I'm almost convinced than weighing my breakfast, lunch and tea(dinner if you're posh) would have more beneficial effects than weighing my components.
    That way an inaccurate scale might even become an allie... :idea:

It does... I am at the end of a 6 weeks strict diet, I lost 7 Kg and can hold the chain one or two sprockets down the line for the same incline.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Thinking about getting a pair of the Elite 24 (Pave are out of stock) for my PX Pro carbon SRAM. But I cant decide on colour to go with matt black. Will be replacing the FSA Vison 30s it came with at 2kg a pair. Maybe the gold?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,875
    andyc-43 wrote:
    Thinking about getting a pair of the Elite 24 (Pave are out of stock) for my PX Pro carbon SRAM. But I cant decide on colour to go with matt black. Will be replacing the FSA Vison 30s it came with at 2kg a pair. Maybe the gold?

Personally I would say black and gold are a lovely colour combination.
    lotus98.jpg

Out of the available ones, most will go I guess, just depends what contrasting touches you might want to put around the bike - Silver will be more neutral, but I gather from the above it might look a bit more like a retro rim.
    Red would look ok too - could be a chance to change stuff like bar tape\saddle\tyres even if you wanted to colour code the whole bike!
    Not that I would do anything like that of course.

Oh and on another note, the debacle that is my wheel delivery.

So initially the fault was the supplier - promising despatch on the Monday, didn't actually go until the Wednesday (I am making an assumption that is the case, and not that it sat with UPS for 2 days)
    My next mistake was assuming that UPS were as good as DPD - oh no, not in anyway shape or form.

Out for delivery on Thursday, rang up, but unable to cancel this, but could alter it after the failed delivery - seems pretty arse about face to me, but ok, if those are your rules.
    Rang up Thursday evening, spoke to a helpful lady, explained I worked from home on Tuesday, was told it was no problem, item would be held and delivered on Tuesday.
    Check the tracking on Friday - Out for delivery!
    Ring up again, speak to a chap this time, who says no it's fine, the driver has been told, he won't actually try and deliver it.
    Come home at lunch to find failed delivery card, and it stating that the next and final delivery attempt will be made on Monday - when no one is at home :roll:
    Ring up again, and this time speak to a manager - took his name.
    He apologised, and said the note had been made, but somehow it had not made it through to the driver - they work for the same company right??
    I explained the whole situation to him, and he has promised delivery on Tuesday - the status does now say help for delivery, so am hoping that is the case.
    Shame my wheels will have been carted about on multiple pointless journeys by the time they get to me, wonder what condition they will be in :-(

Oh and their 'local' collection point is 20 miles away from me, otherwise I would have just driven to pick them up and stop all this faffing.

If only they had gone on Monday OR Tuesday!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Time to see how good/bad superstar's customer service is! Although not the wheels mentioned here, others have bought the same set I have, the Alex ATD470 wheelset, which is "tubeless ready" but both rims are leaking air on the joint.
  • daniel_b
    tibble89 wrote:
    Time to see how good/bad superstar's customer service is! Although not the wheels mentioned here, others have bought the same set I have, the Alex ATD470 wheelset, which is "tubeless ready" but both rims are leaking air on the joint.

Do report back.

My wheels, stem and seatpost finally arrived!
    1 week later than anticipated.

Initial impressions are excellent, wheel box was good and solid, and packing showed some care. Eg stem was wrapped in kitchen paper, then put in a jiffy bag with the seatpost, and finally placed on the cardboard 'shelf' inbetween the wheels.

Fitted the purple stem and seatpost already, very happy with the quality of those parts for £22.

Will have a proper look at the wheels tomorrow, not sure when I can get around to swapping them onto the Contessa though.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Wish I was confident that my lower bike could cope with me riding the Felt again, I would have been all over this deal like a rash!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mikpem
    mikpem Posts: 139
    I went for Elite 30's in white to go on my white PX Pro Carbon. Saw them in gold in the flesh at the London cycle show and the guy told me about the clearance deal. Had to go with white because the other colours would clash with my pink tyres ;)

Delivery was alright because my OH happened to be at home, I usually get delivered to work to avoid that issue but I've had far too many deliveries at work lately, I'll have no chance of a pay rise!

I was originally looking for some new cyclocross wheels as the tiagra hubs are shot on my old ones. Now in my great wheel shuffle it looks like my CX bike will have Shimano R010 wheels because there were no Pave ones left.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    tibble89 wrote:
    Time to see how good/bad superstar's customer service is! Although not the wheels mentioned here, others have bought the same set I have, the Alex ATD470 wheelset, which is "tubeless ready" but both rims are leaking air on the joint.

That sucks, I have the same set and have fitted tubeless tyres (schwalbe G one) I did noticed that the joint was quite pronounced on those rims but my tyres have stayed up so far.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    tibble89 wrote:

How many wraps of TL tape did you use ?
  • One layer of tape but the leaks are on the bead area and not where the tape is. I did try to add a piece of tape from one bead to the other but didn't help.. maybe if i redo that and leave it for a few days with a tube inside it would push it into place firmly.

Seems like it can be an issue with pinned rims, did some searching on google and should be possible to "fix", just a bit of a farce.
  • tibble89 wrote:
    One layer of tape but the leaks are on the bead area and not where the tape is. I did try to add a piece of tape from one bead to the other but didn't help.. maybe if i redo that and leave it for a few days with a tube inside it would push it into place firmly.

Seems like it can be an issue with pinned rims, did some searching on google and should be possible to "fix", just a bit of a farce.

Pinned rims are not ideal for tubeless conversions for that very reason
  • 97th choice
    tibble89 wrote:
    One layer of tape but the leaks are on the bead area and not where the tape is. I did try to add a piece of tape from one bead to the other but didn't help.. maybe if i redo that and leave it for a few days with a tube inside it would push it into place firmly.

Pinned rims are not ideal for tubeless conversions for that very reason

It's marketed as a tubeless ready rim though.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500

• It's marketed as a tubeless ready rim though.

Maybe it is then... and you got a faulty one, sounds like a return/replace scenario.
    I have tried to convert a few pinned rims (not this specifically) and they all leaked air at the joint, in the way you describe
  • 97th choice

It's marketed as a tubeless ready rim though.

Maybe it is then... and you got a faulty one, sounds like a return/replace scenario.
    I have tried to convert a few pinned rims (not this specifically) and they all leaked air at the joint, in the way you describe

Mine are fine tubeless, It's the other guy who is having the problem. But I can see how it might be an issue at the joint if QC isn't that good.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • I hadn't heard that about pinned rims before.
    I am planning to do a ghetto tubeless conversion with some Vittoria Voyager Hypers on my Kinesis Crosslight V3s, which have a pinned joint and are not officially tubeless ready - they have the right kind of rim bed profile though.
    Am I likely to have leakage problems with these rims? I have seen other posts where people have used these rims tubeless and not seen mention of issues with the joint.
  • No reply from superstar yet but I didn't want to discuss it too much here as I didn't want to get too far off-topic. If you google "tubeless pinned rims" then you'll see a few others have this issue with various rims, there's no guarantee I guess.. might work, might not.
  • daniel_b
    Just weighed my Pave 28s.

1,693g (admittedly with rim tape) v's quoted 1,533g. They're going on my winter bike so doesn't really matter and I was expecting a bit of a fib but come on....

Slightly better, my gf's Elite 30s have a claimed weight of 1510g, and I just weighed them with the rim tapes, and they came it at 1576g, so very happy with that, a hefty 400g saving over the RS30's - I was hoping for something sub 1600.
    So perhaps the Elite weights are more accurate than the Pave ones.
    If the rim tape is as heavy as people claim, then perhaps the weight is pretty much spot on.

Quality looks superb, delighted with them for £90 - even comes with a spacer for a 10spd cassette.
    Only thing I am not sure about is whether the 24's would have made more sense, as an even lighter wheels, but the claimed weights were only a matter of 18grams difference, so on reflection (as my gf likes a slightly more aero rim) I think these were the best choice.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • edindevon
    edindevon Posts: 325
    As posted on the bargains thread, this deal is still on and there's now code for £20 off - GETEXTRA20
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Daniel B wrote:
    Only thing I am not sure about is whether the 24's would have made more sense, as an even lighter wheels, but the claimed weights were only a matter of 18grams difference, so on reflection (as my gf likes a slightly more aero rim) I think these were the best choice.

Don't we love a happy ending... :D isn't 18 grams the alleged weight of soul or something?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Seriously is there any difference in tubeless vs lightweight tubes pretty much everything I've read says no
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    I came upon a slightly dodgy spoke in my current superstar wheels. Sent an email to get the length for a replacement. Free replacement in the post. Can't fault that.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    itboffin wrote:
    Seriously is there any difference in tubeless vs lightweight tubes pretty much everything I've read says no

In ride quality, no. In puncture resistance, there's a world of difference.
  • itboffin
    Hmm I'm not so sure because with the right tyres for the area I think clinchers win hands down, I see more tubs riders calling for a lift theses days out here.

I believe the gap has going between ride comfort and puncture protection for tubs and tubes
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Edindevon wrote:
    As posted on the bargains thread, this deal is still on and there's now code for £20 off - GETEXTRA20

Where is the bargains thread? Ta
  • daniel_b
    jonnyc1973 wrote:
    Edindevon wrote:

Where is the bargains thread? Ta

Commuting chat.

Be prepared, it's cost me a LOT over the years.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    itboffin wrote:
    Hmm I'm not so sure because with the right tyres for the area I think clinchers win hands down, I see more tubs riders calling for a lift theses days out here.

I believe the gap has going between ride comfort and puncture protection for tubs and tubes

But he was talking about tubeless not tubs.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/a ... -dealx.htm

Surely amazing value at 20% off??
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    jonnyc1973 wrote:

Nice of you to leave a comment every now and again... :wink:
  • jonnyc1973 wrote:

Nice of you to leave a comment every now and again... :wink:

Always trying to be involved :-)
    Anyway, what do you think of the wheels? Google suggests that the rims are rebadged kinlin xr31t.
  • itboffin
    if they're rebadged kinlin then they've done a good job on the engraving because i have a kinlin front wheel and it looks nothing like the superstar 24