Half price wheels in white or gold

Comments

• MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    My Elites arrived yesterday. 30mm deep x 14 mm inner look quite skinny. Kind of wished I'd gone with the 17mm inner Pave version, but Gold or White just wouldn't of looked right with a Silver frame. They look well put together, time will tell ! Got to build the bike they're going on before they get put to the test.
  • JoostG
    JoostG Posts: 189
    Would these be much of an improvement on Campag Khamsins I have on my winter bike?

Yes. IMO a better build and a wider rim: lower pressure, more grip and comfort
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    It's khamsins that mine replaced, they went on daughter's bike.
    The Khamsins are good wheels but being able to run lower pressures on the wider rims is good.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • ntc
    ntc Posts: 69
    Extra 10% off sale wheels too! Code JANBONUS.

Gold Pave wheels ordered - they won't match my bike but who cares for 90 quid and a 2 warranty.

Hopefully they will last longer than my Fulcrum S5. The rear freehub has pretty much destroyed itself after 300 miles and 2 wet rides! Shocking :shock:
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    The white rims are starting to grow on me. I don't think I'd ever go for "murdered out", and the black frame already has some white stripes on it, so it all looks as if it belongs there. dropping to about 65psi front and 75psi rear gives it an eerily soft ride while still providing incredible grip on corners. I'll try to add a picture some time!
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Thank you, Giraffoto, for the tip off. I have bought a pair with the Pave 28 white rims. The white is growing on me too. I am undecided which bike they are going on now.
  • JoostG
    JoostG Posts: 189
    Nothing interesting on the TV yesterday evening, so I opened the hubs of the Pave's (front; 2 little screws, allen wrench 2mm and rear; 2x allen wrench 5mm and 10mm). The rear seems to be a Novatec 482 (582 in case of a campy free hub). Especially the outer bearing of this hub is vulnerable for moisture (can get past the rubber seal), so I added a lot of extra grease for protection. The freewheel itself was well lubricated: I cleaned that for increasing the noise. Now they're ready for there first ride (in a couple of months..)
  • MikeBrew
    McStumpy wrote:

Alex rims are a well known, though not high-end rim brand. The hubs and spokes are likely to be the same as the other wheels in this thread, though you won't get the 17mm inner rim width of the Paves.
    For the sake of an additional 50 grams in weight, I think I'd go for the 28 hole version in those. For £135, 1470 grams and a 2 year warranty, it's hard to see how they are not a good buy. I suppose the question is, what would that £135 buy you elsewhere ?
  • Anyone know which specific model of Novatec hubs the Switch ULTRALITE 6-bolt disc hubs are? Didn't find anything on google
  • Giraffoto
    I was about to look it up for you, but you know, give a man a fish etc.*
      Open two browser windows
      Get a picture of the Switch hub in one
      Go to Novatec's website in the other
      Browse up and down until you find a match

* 'Give a man a fish and he'll say, "what's this got to do with hubs?" '
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • So that's annoying. Those Pave were a great deal but I really couldn't think of what I'd use them for. They sell out and four days later a van drives over the back of my bike.....
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,875
    Guys,

desperately keen to order a pair of these (Not sure which flavour yet) in white for my gf's Scott CR1 Contessa, currently running nearly 2kg worth of RS30's.

She normally runs 23mm tyres, can anyone confirm if it would be ok to run 23mm on the wider pave rims, or should I just stick to the narrower Elite ones?
    Will the 17mm inner and 23mm outer width of the pave mean she has to switch to 25's?

Also, can anyone who has ordered let me know how long they took to despatch and then arrive?
    Just trying to tie it together with the days I work at home you see.
    Annoyed I can't think of a reason to buy any for myself.

EDIT: Actually in hindsight, the CR1 has minimal clearance, 25's can be a challenge, so in that respect the narrower rim seems to make more sense - still be keen to know re delivery times though please.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I can not remember to the day but despatch and delivery were quite quick. I changed my mind about what I wanted after ordering. Their after sales service was excellent.They could not have been more helpful.
  • daniel_b
    lesfirth wrote:
    I can not remember to the day but despatch and delivery were quite quick. I changed my mind about what I wanted after ordering. Their after sales service was excellent.They could not have been more helpful.

Cheers Les, already mailed them, but will call them first thing Monday am.
    £90 seems mental for (I went for 30mm Elites) 1500g wheels, big thankyou to the op, and the poster of the discount code, which still seems to work.
    Also dropped in a purple seatpost and stem for the gf's other bike, £112 delivered!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I bought two sets just before the additional discount damn, but got the elite 24s and the ATD470 disc wheel set, saved 300g off the road bike, 450g off the CX and went tubeless in the process, all for £249. Ridiculous value.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • What's your initial impression of the ATD470 rims? Considering them myself but probably with DT Swiss 350's
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    tibble89 wrote:
    What's your initial impression of the ATD470 rims? Considering them myself but probably with DT Swiss 350's

So far no problems, got a set of Schwalbe g ones on them with a single layer of tape and a track pump.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • going to ask a stupid question but the silver rims are standard rimcolour? not sure i can ride red white or gold rims
    riding a canyon endurace
    spesh allez
  • Giraffoto
    redscouse wrote:
    going to ask a stupid question but the silver rims are standard rimcolour? not sure i can ride red white or gold rims

Going by the pictures on the website, "silver" seems to be the colour of untreated aluminium. There appears to be no difference between the colour of the brake track (which has to be bare aluminium) and any other part of the rim. And you might be surprised how white grows on you.
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • MikeBrew
    redscouse wrote:
    going to ask a stupid question but the silver rims are standard rimcolour? not sure i can ride red white or gold rims

I have some in Silver, and to me they look to be polished alloy with clear-coat. (not on the brake tracks, obviously) Very shiny and slightly old-school looking. I like em !
  • cheers chaps ...good to know...how are they riding being narrow and all...25 mm tyres?
    riding a canyon endurace
    spesh allez
  • daniel_b
    Rang them first thing on Monday, and they were vey helpful, and said they would be with me today, and I would get a tracking number for UPS.

I did get a despatch e-mail, but no tracking number, and nothing has arrived today - luckily I am working from home tomorrow as well, so hopefully they will appear then.........
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Ah bugger, only just got a tracking number and a second (and proper I assume) despatch notification :-(

Back to work tomorrow, going to have to hope I can change the day with UPS.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Exact same thing happened to me. Ordered a wheelset on the weekend and get an email Monday saying dispatched but no tracking number, nothing arrived Tuesday but I get another email Tuesday saying dispatched and with a tracking number, and they arrived today.
  • daniel_b
    tibble89 wrote:
    Exact same thing happened to me. Ordered a wheelset on the weekend and get an email Monday saying dispatched but no tracking number, nothing arrived Tuesday but I get another email Tuesday saying dispatched and with a tracking number, and they arrived today.

Bit of a shame isn't it, especially when I spoke to them and they said it would be sent that day.
    Rang UPS, and stupidly you can't re-book the delivery until they have tried to deliver :evil:
    DPD are so much better, you can change the day before, and even on the day if you want, as well as track it and get an hour time slot.
    Had I known, I could have arranged to work from home tomorrow, but this amount of notice is no good.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Just weighed my Pave 28s.

1,693g (admittedly with rim tape) v's quoted 1,533g. They're going on my winter bike so doesn't really matter and I was expecting a bit of a fib but come on....
  • MikeBrew
    Just weighed my Pave 28s.

1,693g (admittedly with rim tape) v's quoted 1,533g. They're going on my winter bike so doesn't really matter and I was expecting a bit of a fib but come on....

I weighed the rim tapes @50 grams each, just seconds before they went into the bin,(dust bin, not parts bin). At only £89 I reckoned I could stretch to some lighter replacement tapes...
  • MikeBrew wrote:
    Just weighed my Pave 28s.

I weighed the rim tapes @50 grams each, just seconds before they went into the bin,(dust bin, not parts bin). At only £89 I reckoned I could stretch to some lighter replacement tapes...

Absolutely, still a bargain at £90 (and I'm even growing to love the white rims....).

I bought some Pacenti's from Superstar a while ago and they were also over the quoted weight. Tricky for retailers though as if you quote a prudent worst case weight (which no one else does) no one will buy them, but quoting the best case means customers are initially a bit cheesed off when they arrive.
  • MikeBrew
    As far as increased bike performance goes, I'm almost convinced than weighing my breakfast, lunch and tea(dinner if you're posh) would have more beneficial effects than weighing my components.
    That way an inaccurate scale might even become an allie... :idea: