English National Anthem

13»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    No fer me. It just doesn't lend itself to a crowd singing it like Swing Low

Why English rugby fans sing an American black spiritual song that is about how they as slaves yearn for freedom (hence its revival during the 60's rights movement) is beyond me. It's basically saying 'I'd rather die than be here".

If the rugby's that bad, why watch it?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

Why English rugby fans sing an American black spiritual song that is about how they as slaves yearn for freedom (hence its revival during the 60's rights movement) is beyond me. It's basically saying 'I'd rather die than be here".

I think it came about when Martin 'Chariots' Offiah was playing.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694

Errmm, you do know that there a lot of hand gestures which accompany the rendition by a rugby team ??
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,804
    Love and pride for your country is what it's all about. I salute you sir.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlXtrnh-Ejo
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    orraloon wrote:

Errmm, you do know that there a lot of hand gestures which accompany the rendition by a rugby team ??

Nope. Don't really like rugby. Do enlighten me.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Ah the naivety of youth. SLSC back in my day was one of the repertoire of post match ribald songs, belted out amid much beer and accompanied by appropriate mime gestures for each word. Think on the first 2 lines alone and work it out...

The transition from mucky booze up standard to a Twickenham anthem is amusing.
  • As an Englishman I have no sense of attachment to GSTQ as well. It's got religious and royal tones to it, I'm an atheist and have no particular interest in monarchy other than a.passing interest in the history of it.

My interests are my country.
    <SNIP>.
    The anthem is at the slightly petty end of this but still important as.a symbol of England gaining its identity as separate to the union which is what it needs to grow.

It feels at times that as an Englishman I should be ashamed of this sentiment though.

Whether it is the image if football thugs wrapped in the national flag fighting or fascists/racists waving the national flag at marches. There's thugs and distasteful types of all nations but there's been the sense that English national identity is part of that. It is coming around now but we're not out of the woods yet. One day the imagery of England will not be considered negatively. When that.happens then perhaps a sense of national pride like the Welsh and Scots have will come out. Then it's devolution for England! Let's leave the union. ;)
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,416
    As an Englishman I have no sense of attachment to GSTQ as well. It's got religious and royal tones to it, I'm an atheist and have no particular interest in monarchy other than a.passing interest in the history of it.

My interests are my country.
    <SNIP>.
    The anthem is at the slightly petty end of this but still important as.a symbol of England gaining its identity as separate to the union which is what it needs to grow.
    Good post

It feels at times that as an Englishman I should be ashamed of this sentiment though.

Whether it is the image if football thugs wrapped in the national flag fighting or fascists/racists waving the national flag at marches. There's thugs and distasteful types of all nations but there's been the sense that English national identity is part of that. It is coming around now but we're not out of the woods yet. One day the imagery of England will not be considered negatively. When that.happens then perhaps a sense of national pride like the Welsh and Scots have will come out. Then it's devolution for England! Let's leave the union. ;)
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,389
    orraloon wrote:
    Ah the naivety of youth. SLSC back in my day was one of the repertoire of post match ribald songs, belted out amid much beer and accompanied by appropriate mime gestures for each word. Think on the first 2 lines alone and work it out...

The transition from mucky booze up standard to a Twickenham anthem is amusing.

. . . at last the truth!!

I've heard so much b*ll*x spoken, including on TV and radio as to how this came to be the English National Team's "song". References to Chris Oti's first cap/hat trick, Martin Offiah and all that when, in fact, it's just a song that has been sung in rugby clubs on Saturday nights for decades. All the actions, all the words, no words, no vowels, no actions, some words, words omitted, hummed, whistled, sung and spoken but for many many years before the barbour jacket and red trouser platoon who once played for the grammar school second XV got hold of it.

If we do end up with an English National anthem, I'm pretty sure it would be Jerusalem as it's the only one of the popular alternatives that actually mentions England.
    Wilier Izoard XP