English National Anthem

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    We sung it at my friends wedding a few months back and it was a proper tear jerker. Another problem I suppose is that its really about heaven than England... but as anthems go that's not exactly a big issue...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    It's not a bad shout - a nice song - not sure how it would work with a crowd singing it which is quite important for an anthem which at least until any breakup of the United Kingdom is probably only going to get wheeled out at sporting events. So for me that's a possible but still not as good as the Scots, Welsh and Irish have.

Is there nothing from pop or folk that could be adapted - I find Between the Wars a good anthem like song even if the lyrics maybe wouldn't find favour with everyone and the Beatles knocked out some good tunes surely there's something there we could put lyrics to ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • I think Gyles Brandreth has come up with the best suggestion..........
    The Conga
    At least I know the words to that!
  • ddraver
    It's not a bad shout - a nice song - not sure how it would work with a crowd singing it which is quite important for an anthem which at least until any breakup of the United Kingdom is probably only going to get wheeled out at sporting events. So for me that's a possible but still not as good as the Scots, Welsh and Irish have.

Is there nothing from pop or folk that could be adapted - I find Between the Wars a good anthem like song even if the lyrics maybe wouldn't find favour with everyone and the Beatles knocked out some good tunes surely there's something there we could put lyrics to ?

All pop songs sound terrible sung in a group with a brass band playing them (which is 99% of the times an anthem is played...) I think we have to stay "classical"
    - @ddraver
  • How about "No One's Bothered" by The Sleaford Mods?

Just about sums it all up, really.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112

All pop songs sound terrible sung in a group with a brass band playing them (which is 99% of the times an anthem is played...) I think we have to stay "classical"

works for the band:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tczqvib8BXk
  • DeVlaeminck
    Not sure I agree that we need to stick to classical - You'll Never Walk Alone isn't classical but makes a great anthem for Liverpool football club.
  • ddraver
    yeah .

but imagine it played for the PM by a less than pant brass band ...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    oh...I had always assumed he was German. Live and learn...

Did you also assume he was dirty?

in my defence, his first name is Gustav...
    - @ddraver
  • There's a few on here who post suggestions that imply their view is "who cares?" Then they keep popping up again. If you think it's not all a waste of time discussing an.English national anthem then don't waste yours by coming back here. Personally I think it's important to have national identities and quite often national sporting teams or athletes are where a nation gets involved. International sporting events need anthems to help instil a joint identity. Them against us. Division seems OK unless your English, the English must be British it seems.

Jerusalem is women's institute. Land of hope and glory is dull and IMHO doesn't fit the sporting event test. There'll always be an England, not sure. Vindaloo is trashy pop. This national anthem decision is.hard. nothing out there I've seen suggested is right, too religious, old fashioned or just doesn't suit the role of an anthem.

My partner solution is to have a competition to write a new one. Bring together judges from various sections of English life such as musical (classical and popular), literary (poets and novelists of England),, sporting greats who've performed under as English banner, etc.I'd put in academics even politicians too. Criteria should make.clear the anthem is for use in many situations including sporting events. Must rouse the spirit of those who are English and hear it, represent as much of England as possible,have no religious meaning, non-racist or have no crowing about being superior. I'm sure others have better ideas for the criteria but the competition is needed.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    The French anthem is roundly considered one of the most stirring.

To arms citizens Form your battalions
    March, march
    Let impure blood
    Water our furrows

Can you imagine the hand wringers letting us have something along these lines?

http://www.marseillaise.org/english/english.html
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686

March, march
    Let impure blood
    Water our furrows

I'm happy to see you're embracing such a revolutionary anthem, comrade. :D
  • ddraver

March, march
    Let impure blood
    Water our furrows

I'm not sure Flower of Scotland is all that different....
    - @ddraver
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    My partner solution is to have a competition to write a new one. Bring together judges from various sections of English life such as musical (classical and popular), literary (poets and novelists of England),, sporting greats who've performed under as English banner, etc.I'd put in academics even politicians too. Criteria should make.clear the anthem is for use in many situations including sporting events. Must rouse the spirit of those who are English and hear it, represent as much of England as possible,have no religious meaning, non-racist or have no crowing about being superior. I'm sure others have better ideas for the criteria but the competition is needed.

Sounds convoluted. Let's just use Vindaloo? Cool.
    tick - tick - tick
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    oh...I had always assumed he was German. Live and learn...

Did you also assume he was dirty?

in my defence, his first name is Gustav...

Had assumed he was a German emigree for a long time, but he was born in Cheltenham, mother Irish, father Swedish, I think.
  • ddraver
    German/Latvian according to Wikipedia....
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738

You'd hope so. Was written as a battle song to rev up revolutionary soldiers before battle. Kinda the point.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I think we chose based on performance at the time, like we do with the team. whatever is highest in the charts at the time is used for that event! what could possibly go wrong?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    I think we should have a minions style National Anthem. A good tune like the Archers and 'hoopla hoopla hoopla' style lyrics.

Interesting is the last verse of GSTQ:

1. God save our gracious Queen,
    Long live our noble Queen,
    God save the Queen!
    Send her victorious,
    Happy and glorious,
    Long to reign over us;
    God save the Queen!

2. O Lord our God arise,
    Scatter her enemies
    And make them fall;
    Confound their politics,
    Frustrate their knavish tricks,
    On Thee our hopes we fix,
    God save us all!

3. Thy choicest gifts in store
    On her be pleased to pour;
    Long may she reign;
    May she defend our laws,
    And ever give us cause
    To sing with heart and voice,
    God save the Queen!

4. Not in this land alone,
    But be God's mercies known,
    From shore to shore!
    Lord make the nations see,
    That men should brothers be,
    And form one family,
    The wide world over.

5. From every latent foe,
    From the assassins blow,
    God save the Queen!
    O'er her thine arm extend,
    For Britain's sake defend,
    Our mother, prince, and friend,
    God save the Queen!

6. Lord grant that Marshal Wade
    May by thy mighty aid
    Victory bring.
    May he sedition hush,
    And like a torrent rush,
    Rebellious Scots to crush.
    God save the Queen!
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • DeVlaeminck
    What about this ?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2msbfN81Gm0

Surprised that nobody has recognised the opportunity for sponsorship - as with everything else in sport the anthem is a prime opportunity for a business to raise the profile of its brand and/or products. Obviously we can't keep changing the anthem or people will never learn the words so I'd suggest selling the rights on a 5 year contract.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Surprised that nobody has recognised the opportunity for sponsorship

The Sports Direct English Anthem. I'm lovin' it.
  • ddraver
    The more I think about this, the more I'm convinced that it has to be I vow to thee...

I can't think of a single situation to which it is nt suited. Random Queening show - Tick, Pre-sports event - Tick, Gold Medal - Tick (and plentiful tears), solem moment - tick, joyful moment - Tick

It's the one!
    - @ddraver
  • DeVlaeminck
    No fer me. It just doesn't lend itself to a crowd singing it like Swing Low or Flower of Scotland do. It's slow with long lines of verse with drawn out notes and moves up and down the scale mid-line. It's a nice song but not a good anthem if we are looking for something a crowd will give a stirring rendition of. If nothing else it's not as good as the Welsh or Scottish anthems (you can vhoose 2 or 3 of the Scots' in that).
  • ddraver
    I'm not sure it's that different from those two...

It's not an Ireland's Call or La Marsiellaise or Italia though I accept
    - @ddraver
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Gyles Brandreth also suggested The Okey-Cokey. That sounds like a ticks-all-the-boxes answer.

Nimrod would be good, but replaces one slow tune with another. Certainly not Jerusalem; how about the Dr Who theme tune? Or The Theme From Newsnight, with added words.

On balance, God Save The Queen is a pretty good anthem, it's so good that Liechtenstein use the same tune. A 10 minute draft bill to prevent the welsh, scots & irish from using it would resolve the country v nation paradox. Solved.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • As a Welsh person, I would be more than happy for England to own GSTQ. I have no emotional attachment to it and I think a lot of Welsh people would agree.
    I think 'I Vow To Thee' a good song with a strong tune, but it is also the 'World in Union' tune not that you would recognise it from the latest rendition :roll:

Irelands Call is a strange one, apart from RU how many united Ireland teams are there? Come to that how many team GBs are there? Apart from the Olympics most major sports have Wales, Scotland, NI and England. Often wondered how UK got away with that, while USA have one team :mrgreen:

Anyway back on topic, how about 'Always look on the bright side of life' for the England anthem. It would sound awesome with the crowd doing the whistley bits.
  • As an Englishman I have no sense of attachment to GSTQ as well. It's got religious and royal tones to it, I'm an atheist and have no particular interest in monarchy other than a.passing interest in the history of it.

My interests are my country. I love England, the land. There's so much to love about England IMHO that any anthem should link to the land as much as the people and perhaps it's characteristics such as there are any.

There is so much more important things to deserve greater attention than an English anthem of course but I still hope England gets it. Equality of nations within the union is something I do believe in. Not least because as an Englishman I feel we don't have it. Things like devolution / anthems and the lack of them is something I think England will end up having to address one day. The anthem is at the slightly petty end of this but still important as.a symbol of England gaining its identity as separate to the union which is what it needs to grow.
  • DeVlaeminck
    orraloon wrote:
    Surprised that nobody has recognised the opportunity for sponsorship

The Sports Direct English Anthem. I'm lovin' it.

That would be MacDonalds surely ?
  • As an Englishman I have no sense of attachment to GSTQ as well. It's got religious and royal tones to it, I'm an atheist and have no particular interest in monarchy other than a.passing interest in the history of it.

My interests are my country. I love England, the land. There's so much to love about England IMHO that any anthem should link to the land as much as the people and perhaps it's characteristics such as there are any.

There is so much more important things to deserve greater attention than an English anthem of course but I still hope England gets it. Equality of nations within the union is something I do believe in. Not least because as an Englishman I feel we don't have it. Things like devolution / anthems and the lack of them is something I think England will end up having to address one day. The anthem is at the slightly petty end of this but still important as.a symbol of England gaining its identity as separate to the union which is what it needs to grow.

Love and pride for your country is what it's all about. I salute you sir.