Too cold to commute?

Comments

• bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    I'm still riding in baggy shorts with my normal short socks - I just don't find my legs get particularly cold. I'm wearing two layers and a windstopper to keep my upper body warm though as I don't like getting a cold core.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Soft shell jacket on for only the third time this winter, still in baggies and short socks though (another few degrees and the knee warmers may come out), no not cold at all if that helps corrie imagine how cold he wasn't......

Winter gloves though, but then my commute is quite fast (not held up by traffic/junctions) and wind chill really hits your hands.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Well, it could be interesting going home tonight, seeing as how I forgot to bring my jacket. I can suffer with the best, but as I get older I find that I don't get the same joy I used to out of showing off how little I can go out in.
    So the prospect of going home with no jacket (so no pockets either, also tricky) at today's sub-zero temperatures is really not enticing. Currently wondering if I can manage to ride in my greatcoat...
  • I had on:
    Merino base layer
    Windproof softshell
    Gore windstopper over the top
    Thermal tights
    Thermal socks
    Thermal open face balaclava
    Thermal/windproof gloves
    MTB shoes
    Overshoes.

I feel the cold!
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    Belgian cap for me today to keep my ears warm. Quite like riding without a helmet - very liberating. Core was warm in bib tights and long sleeved jersey, but my thumbs were that cold that I was worried about frost bite. Sealskinz gloves are generally good, but once things go below zero, their performance starts to suffer.
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • Schwalbe Winters fitted to my old wheels last night and first commute this morning.
    Bloody hell they are hard work on the legs! I need to check the pressures when I get home as I pumped up to feel but I'm not convinced it'll help much.
    It's added about 1.5kg and that's all in the wheels, soft rubber has serious rolling resistance too!
    Nice to have the peace of mind on the ice though and it's going to feel amazing when I swap the wheels back next
  • edrobbin
    edrobbin Posts: 173
    Started wearing my RaceFace Chute jacket and not boiling in the bag. Despite my original review in ?September saying it was ace, it is in fact sh1te. Great water resistance, zero breathability. Currently only slightly sweaty on the inside.

Like some others, I run hot
    Waterloo - White City

Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 2016
    Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 3 26" (Lefty) :D
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Loving this weather, would have this over p1ssing rain and dark any day.
    Today's ride was sponsored by Lidl/Aldi - Aldi Winter Jacket, Aldi Compression top, Lidl 3/4 Shorts + random baggy shorts over the top, and Lidl winter gloves.
    Ended up with cold ears, not quite sure the best way to fix that!

However, what has shocked me is the affect the cold has had on my light's battery - used to run for an hour + happily, now will only run for 30 mins, which is "just" enough for a single commute!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    When people say I run hot do they actually mean I'm a bit overweight?

I'm overweight (less so now) and I'm still bloody freezing even inside the house, which is tropical all year round.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • When people say I run hot do they actually mean I'm a bit overweight?

I'm overweight (less so now) and I'm still bloody freezing even inside the house, which is tropical all year round.

Dunno. But I'm definitely overweight at the moment. And as I get older I am running colder.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • I'll give tomorrow a miss... I have a 4 mile stretch on a country lane which today was an uninterrupted sheet of ice both in the morning and on the way back. My studded tyres did OK, but every car I crossed scared the hell out of me
    left the forum March 2023
  • itboffin
    I'll give tomorrow a miss... I have a 4 mile stretch on a country lane which today was an uninterrupted sheet of ice both in the morning and on the way back. My studded tyres did OK, but every car I crossed scared the hell out of me

yep wise choice, i passed a horrific multi car smash last night and my friend got rear ended this morning writing off both cars, funny enough cars dont stop on ice
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,798
    Blows me away (figuratively...) how far winter attire has come over the past 10 years.

It was sh!te when I first started cycling. Winter was really something to be endured and it would only be nutter who would go out riding during xmas time.

Nowadays any middle aged man who wants to get away from his family for long periods of time can pop out and stay toasty.

Was riding home today (granted, through central London, so hardly the baltic) but it was still around 0 degreesish.

I used to really not be able to do much other than turn the legs a bit in anything under 5 degrees.

Tonight I was positively toasty and I only had at most two layers on - and both very fitted too. Comfortable, not sweating too much, warm.

Even kept me warm enough whilst I was faffing around with punctures this morning.
  • itboffin
    Minus 8 here atm im staying in bed, might venture downstairs for coffee
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yes -5C here - I can feel that it's extra cold - this little cottage isn't the warmest!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • -4 here. Much frost on the Taff Trail. Took it slower despite the spike tyres.
  • itboffin
    Yes -5C here - I can feel that it's extra cold - this little cottage isn't the warmest!

plumbers installed a new rad in the bathroom yesterday, resulting in no heating when i got home and even after they came out last night only half the radiators are working now.

tiz cold inside as well :(
  • edrobbin
    edrobbin Posts: 173
    When people say I run hot do they actually mean I'm a bit overweight?

:D Well, I can still see my toes if that counts. 6'1, 14 stone so no real weight problem. I'd put it down to fitness
    Waterloo - White City

Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 2016
    Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 3 26" (Lefty) :D
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    -5 when I left this morning, opted to travel on well worn roads rather than the lanes and MTB with spikes
  • -14C when I left home this morning. My wife said the car showed -18C at one point. I've been using ice spikers every day this year so far, 388 miles and yet to average over 13.5mph due to the snow.
  • itboffin
    -14C when I left home this morning. My wife said the car showed -18C at one point. I've been using ice spikers every day this year so far, 388 miles and yet to average over 13.5mph due to the snow.

still in shorts and fingerless gloves tho right? :roll:
  • Pumped the spiked tyres up to 65f/80r and it was a lot better going this morning thankfully.
    -4 here. Cold eye sockets on the descents, everything else toasty!
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Supposedly there were 9 arrivals at a&e at q&a in cosham this morning of cyclists that had broken shoulders or arms when slipping on ice, with about 20 cyclists turning up. (Yes, I was there cos I had come off last night on a muddy road)
    Normal days are 1 cyclist in a &e each morning.
    Be careful out there!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Wearing a base layer, thin fleece and an unlined jacket.
    A little warm this morning, but yesterday when it was -5 I was fine.

On the legs is just the Ronhill Tracksters, same as for the last 20 years!

Found my old winter gloves and they are working well too.

Like a lot of others I run very hot though.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I'm sure there's absolutely no chance of this turning into a willy-waving "I cycled to work this morning in a g-string and string vest at -20" thread.
  • Absolutely no chance. But it was -14C again this morning, and I was wearing shorts. I just had a lot of other layers on top.
  • talius
    talius Posts: 282
    I left Molesely around 5.45am yesterday, and it was about -4 I think. When I got to Barnes, there was some idiot there in short sleeved top and shorts. He was infront of me at the lights and when they turned green he didn't anything so I said "they're green" to him and waited a bit, before realising he was shivering so much he couldn't clip it or properly hold the bars. God knows how he continued or what he thought he was doing.
    Merckx EMX 5
    Ribble 7005 Audax / Campag Centaur

RIP - Scott Speedster S10
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Frustrating morning - it was freezing here but 7C 50 miles away.

Big swing in temps again - looking forward to shaking this cold and getting rid of the ice.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • -6 yesterday, 2 on the way home.

2 way in today, 4 on way home, dropped to about 3.

Back to mild tomorrow.
  • itboffin
    If my legs werent so shot tonights ride home would have actually be nice, not sure what temp it was but i seemed to have just the right layers on, LS wool base and the alpha jacket, perfect!