The demise of Campagnolo in the world tour

Comments

• kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Wouldn't the majority of people compare Dura Ace with Record?

I suppose this is a huge can of worms, but subjective usage comparisons aside I always thought Record = Dura Ace and Chorus = Ultegra. Then Super Record is a step above for people with too much money.

Yep, agreed.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Ulterga=Athena and Chours sits in between ulterga and dura ace.

Think one of the biggest mistakes campag made with the OEM market was taking ultra shift away from Athena post 2011 iirc.

Chours has to be the best bang for buck group, with ulterga di2 being a close second.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Yup...2012 SRAM Red was great. Apart from some driveside crankarms, they sucked) - I have a bit of it for sale in the classifieds...

Your experience pretty much put me off SRAM for life.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    With the advent of 11 speed you can actually mix the componentry eg Shimano shifters with Campagnolo wheels or vice versa so things may be easier in that respect.
    M.Rushton
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    It's fairly basic.

Most people on their first or second bikes will end up with a shimano bike because on paper a shimano bike looks cheaper and, ultimately, no-one really complains about shimano performance.

At that point it's a no brainer.

What's more curious for campag aficionados is even top teams who aren't sponsored by a groupset manufacturer buy shimano.

Basically, all things considered, it's an inferior product at whatever price point they put it at and has been for a while.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    It's fairly basic.

Most people on their first or second bikes will end up with a shimano bike because on paper a shimano bike looks cheaper and, ultimately, no-one really complains about shimano performance.

At that point it's a no brainer.

What's more curious for campag aficionados is even top teams who aren't sponsored by a groupset manufacturer buy shimano.

Basically, all things considered, it's an inferior product at whatever price point they put it at and has been for a while.

Yeah, and Canyon and Specialized bikes are the best because they are the most winningest! Didn't realise you were such a marketing man's dream Rick.

I suspect even teams who notionally pay for their kit (rather than being sponsored) would get a better deal from Shimano - just like with the bike manufacturers, they are able to churn it out at a big discount due to economies of scale. Or maybe it is just better. I would have thought all three are perfectly good to be honest. The relative demise of Campag is probably mainly due to the fact that Campag equipped new bikes are so rare, due to the same issue - the manufacturers can't get cheap deals on it so Shimano or Sram is always going to be more profitable.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I

Well argued. :?

Have you ever owned a campag equipped bike?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    Tried a mate's s few times.

Hand is too small to operate the button on the inside of the brake levers comfortably and that was a deal breaker.
  • Need to give more stuff away/pay to promote themselves via the medium of pro racing.

Basically.

Edited for accuracy. ;)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rick_chasey
    Need to give more stuff away/pay to promote themselves via the medium of pro racing.

Basically.

Edited for accuracy. ;)

Well why can't campag do that?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Tried a mate's s few times.

Hand is too small to operate the button on the inside of the brake levers comfortably and that was a deal breaker.

Sorry but that is utter nonsense. I've got small monkey hands and have never had an issue with working any part of a Camapagnolo shifter be it old 9-speed, 10-speed, 11-speed and EPS. Anyone can use the Ergos if the bars and shifter position is set up correctly. Plenty of tiny Pro's who can use them no bother either.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    I'm going to stick my neck out here.

Campag has far better durability than Shimano. Whilst the starting price may be an incentive, the long term is that you will be replacing Shimano bits more frequently. Whether this justifies the price difference, I do not know. The old adage is still true: Campag wears in and Shimano wears out.
    Being reasonably handy, a few friends of mine come with their bikes for me to sort. Of 5, 4 ride Shimano and 1 rides a Ribble with Centaur. The Centaur is more reliable than any of the other 4, which are varying shades of Shimano, the top being Ultegra. I rarely do anything to the Centaur.
    I have a pair of DA wheels and they are great value but not nearly as durable as the Eurus or Fuclrum's I have.
    Campag wheel bearings are a little trickier to set up but once set up, go on and on and on...
    I bought my Record 10 in 2010. I have replaced chains, jockey wheels, cassettes and chain rings. Never touched the BB bearings or Ergo levers. The rear and front mech pins/axles are still like new; no play. So a gruppo costing £1k spread over 5 years and counting?

For the average club bloke, Chorus Carbon must be the best value for money in terms of longevity and smoothness.
    I ride Record 10 and Record 11. Wouldn't swap it for DA even if you paid me.
    This whole electronic shifting business is just a marketing rip off. I ride the thing, clean it and forget about it. Why faff around with batteries and wires and stuff when the current mechanical editions of most gruppo's are superb? Unless you are pro, why on earth do you need electronic shifting? Or have you been convinced of it's superiority? Will it make you go quicker? In a TT, you might change gear a fraction of a second quicker but then there might be a few less trucks on the route to catch the draughts...

For too long, we are being sucked in by clever marketing. Maybe it's because there is too much money out there and a legion of wannabe's who spot a complete bike with Shimano at £1500 and the same bike furnished with Campag next to it and it is £2000. Wannabe, says "i'll save 500 smackers if I buy that one" and spend the rest on a Rapha bandana.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    : Campag wears in and Shimano wears out.

Remember Iain's thread about Ideas that must die? This should have been one of the suggestions...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,234
    Well, I'm hearing yer, Pinno!
    Always been a Campag fan - for many of the same reasons and similar experiences. Had a pair of Eurus wheels that lasted for untold miles from 2002 until 2010. Hit a massive rock on the descent of an Col De Croix De Fer that put a dint in the rim: the effect of braking over the ensuing 2000 miles (not on same day, obvs) eradicated the dint and cured the buckle. But, admittedly, then Campag started dicking about trying to get things lighter and introduced different spokes and rims.. with the consequence of whinges about longevity from former brand diehards.
    Aesthetically, the latest incarnation of Dura Ace looks great; I fully accept that there might be a point when I swap everything over to Shimano (tried SRAM briefly - didn't get on with it), but Campag will need to go down a particularly poncey "PR over engineering" route for that to happen...
  • pinno
    Hitting a rock on the descent of the Col de Croix de Fer with a pair of Campag wheels has a certain poetic edge to it.
    I swapped from Shimano to Campag when I was in my early twenties and I have never looked back.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    I have campag on all my bikes, and am a long term devotee, but they keep scoring own goals don't they? The downgraded power shift crank sets being fed up through the ranges to Athena, the stupid cassette ratios, the crazy price of 11 speed cassettes, the ridiculous chain joining tools - it's all adding up to commercial suicide. It'll be a shame when they no longer exist.
  • Hitting a rock on the descent of the Col de Croix de Fer with a pair of Campag wheels has a certain poetic edge to it.
    I swapped from Shimano to Campag when I was in my early twenties and I have never looked back.

I wrote a euros front off doing just that. Think it was the Lauteret.

Never had anything but campag on my bikes since 1996. I've no idea what shimano is like.

As an aside, I won't touch their chains. Had one snap on me and broke my elbow.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    Well this thread has brought out the slobbering idiots.

Camapg wears in and shimano wears out is one of the worst guff myths around.

Unfortunately, campag revenues and sales suggest people can't be bothered anymore with all the faff that comes with it.
  • Well this thread has brought out the slobbering idiots.

Unfortunately, campag revenues and sales suggest people can't be bothered anymore with all the faff that comes with it.

Says the guy that rolled out Campagnolo/Shimo/SRAM agrument response #3 'my hands are too small'...
  • This is my first online campag vs. Shimano argument! How exciting!

@gietvangent
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,561
    This is my first online campag vs. Shimano argument! How exciting!

:lol:
  • Those eurus ( I had 2003) must be the best value wheels ever - I raced on mine for four seasons - amazing in crits - good on climbs - and bombproof. Still got them somewhere and might go touring with them !
  • Those eurus ( I had 2003) must be the best value wheels ever - I raced on mine for four seasons - amazing in crits - good on climbs - and bombproof. Still got them somewhere and might go touring with them !

I loved mine. Had a set of tubular Shamals from 1998 too. They were ace.

I'm on fulcrum zeros now which I think are exactly the same as Euros

@gietvangent
  • pinno
    Chains - get a quick link, don't bother with the dedicated Campag tool or buy a Park Tools equivalent if you want to stay old school.
    Cassettes - yes the ratios are a little bit fixed. I ride Chorus cassettes, not the over priced R/SR.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    From a design point of view, I started off down the Campag route as I could not buy Shimano when it had brake cables coming out of the side of the levers and flopping about in the wind rather than under the bar tape like the Italian firm.

I only have to look at the design of the current Shimano cranksets to know I made the right decision!
    Half man, Half bike
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,234

"slobbering idiots" seems a bit strong. I sense a chip on shoulder from once waving at a rider with Campag who didn't wave back because your small hands confused him.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329

"slobbering idiots" seems a bit strong. I sense a chip on shoulder from once waving at a rider with Campag who didn't wave back because your small hands confused him.

:lol:
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • pinno

"slobbering idiots" seems a bit strong. I sense a chip on shoulder from once waving at a rider with a Campag groupset made from cardboard and fragments of an Italian designers imagination who was clinging on for dear life, petrified of an impending and fatal apocalyptic groupset failure and didn't wave back because your small hands confused him.

FTFY

I always make sure I wear a helmet when I ride my Campagnolo furnished bike and when I post on bike forums.
  • I started out on Campag Centaur and as someone earlier said it is pretty much bombproof and very reliable, I have tried Shimano in various forms up to Ultegra, but never really got on with it. I especially dislike the chainsets. I moved to Sram about 5 years ago and never looked back, I think Sram especially Sram Red is the natural alternative to Campag not Shimano. Shimano is out on its own it seems to me at least.

It will be interesting to see how many teams swap to e-tap if it is successful in this years world tour series and ditch Shimano.