B E N D E R's non sweary review site, roubaixcycling.cc (and general kit discussion)

Comments

• kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    I’d boil with an insulated gilet. I look to them to block the wind, don’t need additional heat generation from it also.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    How packable are the Rapha insulated gilets? I have a Galiber foul weather one, its lovely but not at all packable.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,566
    Fits in a jersey pocket easily
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Yep, the PTT one particularly goes very small and, on the insulation front, it's quite magical.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    edited May 2019
    Deleted. Probably hijacking.
  • For reference, I actually ended up fitting the Small Insulated Gilet. Which is very strange because upon checking my Rapha pro team jersey, it’s a Medium (and is snug as should be)!! I am slightly between sizes in the Gilet but still, can’t explain that one... First ride coming up soon I’m sure.
  • voicycle
    voicycle Posts: 95
    This post has been deleted. (I decided it amounted to hijacking the thread and will repost elsewhere.)
    Custom Albannach Torragar [BUILD IN PROGRESS]
    2020 Ribble CGR SL
    2019 Vitus Vitesse Evo CRS Disc
  • monda
    monda Posts: 32
    I had the pro team gilet and the 2nd zip that sits at the bottom when fully zipped rubbed away at my shorts without me realising and has damaged them :(
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    Pertaining to not much really but I bought the purple Brevet Long Sleeve Windblock Jersey from the Rapha outlet store in Bicester a month or so ago. I admit I was taken by the colour first and wasn't sure how good it would be but it's bloody brilliant and seems to have a really wide working temperature, from 5c up to the mid teens. The backing material is really thin which made me think it wouldn't be much use when it got cold but it seems to pull it off really well.
    Also it seems to draw a lot of attention from other cyclists (all positive so far!) - think it's mainly the colour, one total stranger remembered me wearing it on the IOW Randonee the day before (although he did recognise my bike as well)

Bender, I'm sure you had one and ended up selling it so presumably it didn't work for you?
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Bender does the Brevet Long Sleeve Windblock jersey do the same job as my Assos iJ.intermediate_s7 Windproof Jersey?
    which I think is a great bit of kit until the zip broke. going to sew a new one in this week.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    FatTed wrote:
    Bender does the Brevet Long Sleeve Windblock jersey do the same job as my Assos iJ.intermediate_s7 Windproof Jersey?
    which I think is a great bit of kit until the zip broke. going to sew a new one in this week.

Can't comment on the Assos but the Brevet is a fine (thinner than normal brevet jersey) merino LS jersey with a thin windproof layer sewn to the chest and front of arms.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Pertaining to not much really but I bought the purple Brevet Long Sleeve Windblock Jersey from the Rapha outlet store in Bicester a month or so ago. I admit I was taken by the colour first and wasn't sure how good it would be but it's bloody brilliant and seems to have a really wide working temperature, from 5c up to the mid teens. The backing material is really thin which made me think it wouldn't be much use when it got cold but it seems to pull it off really well.
    Also it seems to draw a lot of attention from other cyclists (all positive so far!) - think it's mainly the colour, one total stranger remembered me wearing it on the IOW Randonee the day before (although he did recognise my bike as well)

Bender, I'm sure you had one and ended up selling it so presumably it didn't work for you?

What colour did you go for? I need to head over to Bicester at some point to pick one up.
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    Step83 wrote:

What colour did you go for? I need to head over to Bicester at some point to pick one up.

The purple :D

Be aware it sizes small, reviews on the product page say the same.
  • bendertherobot
    In restrospect, hindsight being a wonderful thing, I do actually really like the Brevet windblock. In fact I like the Brevet stuff full stop. I can get by on even a winter's day with the Brevet insulated, which I love. The whole range is immense. the (non Brevet) winter windblock is brilliant too. And, to answer the question, it's more cosy than an Assos Intermediate. And better to sit in in a cafe.
  • FatTed
    In restrospect, hindsight being a wonderful thing, I do actually really like the Brevet windblock. In fact I like the Brevet stuff full stop. I can get by on even a winter's day with the Brevet insulated, which I love. The whole range is immense. the (non Brevet) winter windblock is brilliant too. And, to answer the question, it's more cosy than an Assos Intermediate. And better to sit in in a cafe.

Thanks Bender
  • bendertherobot
    Haven't bought much recently, but splurged on this today:

tic_abloc_short_sleeve_cycling_jersey_mono_37-2000x1333.jpg

Yeah, it's a bit Rapha, but I like Rapha. May get the Black and Orange one to go with my TCR
  • FatTed
    too Black
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,566
    Too strong.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,428
    Too much pink.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    Daniel B wrote:
    Not enough green.

:D
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,606
    Pinno wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    Not enough green.

Cheeky s0d!

Yellow is actually the colour I believe is lacking predominantly :lol:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    Haven't bought much recently, but splurged on this today:

tic_abloc_short_sleeve_cycling_jersey_mono_37-2000x1333.jpg

Yeah, it's a bit Rapha, but I like Rapha. May get the Black and Orange one to go with my TCR

I really liked the look of this so went searching for the site. Immediately put off by what TIC stands for (This Is Cambridge) and their ‘about us’ blurb. One of the least cycling inspiring locations in the UK and their cut and paste inspirational message with bonus ‘gender neutral’ bit is just trying too hard. I don’t think I could wear one now without cringing. Damn.
  • bendertherobot
    Have a read about the owners struggles with chronic pain. Shes the lady in most of the pics.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    That part I can connect to as my sister suffers from really terrible fibromyalgia. She’s just out of hospital after a pretty major operation late last week to release tension in her jaw so she can speak properly again.

But I’m just getting a bit tired of repetitive cycling marketing blurb. It puts me off. I also don't live in Cambridge.
  • pinno
    Daniel B wrote:
    Not enough yellow.

[Yellow is a very slimming colour. Apparently.]
  • bendertherobot
    That part I can connect to as my sister suffers from really terrible fibromyalgia. She’s just out of hospital after a pretty major operation late last week to release tension in her jaw so she can speak properly again.

But I’m just getting a bit tired of repetitive cycling marketing blurb. It puts me off. I also don't live in Cambridge.

I think, a bit like something like Grey's Anatomy (in which Grey was the most boring character) we sometimes come up with brand names, ideas that sit well as a start up but, perhaps, jar later in. I have to say, I rarely even associate them with Cambridge even if the word is so overt!
  • daniel_b
    Pinno wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    Not enough yellow.

The rapha colourburn aero jersey in small certainly is :shock:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    Daniel B wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    Not enough yellow.

The rapha colourburn aero jersey in small certainly is :shock:

Hey Dan, your sig needs updating, just clicked on the link hoping to get some yellowtastic bargains and it doesn't exist!!
  • daniel_b
    Apologies Arthur, now updated :oops:

I've mostly migrated across to the bay of e now.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    Daniel B wrote:
    Apologies Arthur, now updated :oops:

I've mostly migrated across to the bay of e now.