If you were buying a new bike would you go for di2?

13»

Comments

• Thanks. Really interesting video. Do the wires and junction box rattle inside the frame? The video showed the junction box being pushed up from the bottom bracket into one of the tubes, but nothing specific held it in place (i assume it would drop and rest on the BB?).

Thanks

The 4 wires coming out of it give it a kind of 'suspension cradle'. I've never had any rattles from mine and I also have the EWW01 gear position sender in there too.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958

The 4 wires coming out of it give it a kind of 'suspension cradle'. I've never had any rattles from mine and I also have the EWW01 gear position sender in there too.

Ah, right. The bike i rode last night didn't have any rattles, i was just curious after watching the installation video.

I am still torn between mechanical and Di2. On one hand i can see me loving the electronic groupset, on the other mechanical is that much cheaper to buy and long term to run (as in the cost of replacement parts).
    God i wish i hadn't ridden the Di2 bike last night. If i hadn't i could have convinced myself that Di2 was horrible, highly unreliable and not worth the extra... :evil:
  • Same decision to make for me now. Was due to pick up my new S3 tomorrow but now they've said that they can build it up with Di2 instead and they then keep the mechanical groupset, for an additional £685. Only problem is I'll have to wait another three weeks for the bike as their workshop is full. I've ridden Di2 for the past three years so know the joys, just a case of whether it's worth an extra nigh on £700.
  • paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    I've got mechanical ultegra on my old bike and Di2 on a new bike this year. Having ridden the new bike all summer I have gone back to mechanical for the winter.

For me Di2 is better, easier and less effort to change gear. Perhaps my bad cycling technique but i'm sure i shift more in Di2, keeping a reasonable cadence, rather than trying to grind too high a gear for short distances because with mechanical it is not worth shifting for 40 metres of uphill.

Still got rim brakes rather than disc though :)
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652

Thanks. Really interesting video. Do the wires and junction box rattle inside the frame? The video showed the junction box being pushed up from the bottom bracket into one of the tubes, but nothing specific held it in place (i assume it would drop and rest on the BB?).

Thanks

The junction box inside the downtube rattled like an absolute b'stard with my Scott Foil and annoyed me so much, I couldn't bear to ride it until I had the time to remove the cranks, BB and wrap the offending item with some bubble wrap.
  • redvision
    Same decision to make for me now. Was due to pick up my new S3 tomorrow but now they've said that they can build it up with Di2 instead and they then keep the mechanical groupset, for an additional £685. Only problem is I'll have to wait another three weeks for the bike as their workshop is full. I've ridden Di2 for the past three years so know the joys, just a case of whether it's worth an extra nigh on £700.

Have you decided if you are going Di2 then? I guess this is the time of year when waiting for a bike isn't the end of the world (end of season and all), even so, it will still be a frustrating wait for you.
  • Same decision to make for me now. Was due to pick up my new S3 tomorrow but now they've said that they can build it up with Di2 instead and they then keep the mechanical groupset, for an additional £685. Only problem is I'll have to wait another three weeks for the bike as their workshop is full. I've ridden Di2 for the past three years so know the joys, just a case of whether it's worth an extra nigh on £700.

Have you decided if you are going Di2 then? I guess this is the time of year when waiting for a bike isn't the end of the world (end of season and all), even so, it will still be a frustrating wait for you.

Yep, I can't ride at the moment anyway due to illness so decided that the break will do me good. And for the sake of waiting three weeks, it makes sense as I'd just regret it otherwise. Plus I can now order my P2M and get that fitted at the same time and get a nice shiny new bike with Di2 and power already set up.
  • redvision
    Thanks for all the comments and advice, i have finally decided and ordered my new bike! Went for mechanical in the end. Was very close to going for Di2 but after speaking with a club mate who shared an experience from his final race of the season i decided against it.

Anyway, thanks again for all the advice.

(Anyone who is looking for a bargain check out the bike sale ads over the weekend as i will be listing my current canyon ultimate CF)