If you had £1,000 for a frameset

13»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    And, again, higher end aluminium frames in supposed "sportive" geometry do. not. exist. They're all "racy"

Then what abouth the Cannondale Synapse Aluminium? They get great reviews so Yes.they.do.exist
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Reviews... How many bikes have you ridden?
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Anonymous
    I have ridden dozens of bikes. I own 5 currently. 4 Bianchi and a cube TT bike. I have owned cannondales, giants, de rosa's, raleigh, canyon, and peugeot. Over a period of 26 years. So I know my bikes. I dont work on retail but I had ridden bikes all my adult life and most my youth. I have ridden campag, shimano. Extremely race oriented and very relaxed bikes. I have ridden many more bikes that I have tested in LBS. Simplon. Colnago, look, lapierre.

I know about bikes i know about geometry and i know that working in retail means sfa considering the amount of bike shops i have ever been to where they no nothing.
  • And, again, higher end aluminium frames in supposed "sportive" geometry do. not. exist. They're all "racy"

Then what abouth the Cannondale Synapse Aluminium? They get great reviews so Yes.they.do.exist

I have a Synapse alloy. It's my commuter and turbo bike. For reasons previously stated, I don't like it for prolonged rides. However:

It's fully a kilo heavier than my CAAD10 as a frameset.
    They only take long-drop brakes which are noticeably less powerful and well modulated.
    It's not as well finished. In short, it's on a par with the CAAD8, not the more premium 10 or 12.

Also, it's not actually available as a frameset. So for those 4 reasons, I eliminated it.
  • Grill
    I have ridden dozens of bikes. I own 5 currently. 4 Bianchi and a cube TT bike. I have owned cannondales, giants, de rosa's, raleigh, canyon, and peugeot. Over a period of 26 years. So I know my bikes. I dont work on retail but I had ridden bikes all my adult life and most my youth. I have ridden campag, shimano. Extremely race oriented and very relaxed bikes. I have ridden many more bikes that I have tested in LBS. Simplon. Colnago, look, lapierre.

I know about bikes i know about geometry and i know that working in retail means sfa considering the amount of bike shops i have ever been to where they no nothing.

:lol: Don't get salty now brother. The Bianchis explain a lot...
  • Anonymous

:lol: Don't get salty now brother. The Bianchis explain a lot...

I wondered when you would try and mock a bike brand just cos I ride it. Typical of the level I would expect to resort to playground taunts.

But then i wouldn't expect anything better from someone who owns a Scott. 0 innovation and just copy what others do. Boring classless bikes like the foil. Poor mans Cervelos
  • Grill
    You clearly haven't read the 'Brand Snobbery' thread...
  • Grill
    Of course, if not in jest, your thoughts on Scott show how little you know of the cycling world at large.
  • DAZZ_A
    DAZZ_A Posts: 74
    Awesome, so to summarise we have CAAD10 so far? :lol:

I see a few points above which I should have clarified earlier. I'm 6" and approximately 85kg.

The Allez was indeed my first bike, I have had it for over 3 years now and feel I'm ready for the next level. I weighed it last night out of interest, I was surprised to see its 9.8kg!

I have never ridden "race" spec geometry - I'm not sure what category the Allez slots into?

If I open up the debate to include Carbon, can we avoid the whole Carbon quality issue...
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    Genesis Zero frameset. Pro level carbon that you should be able to pick up within your budget. The geometry is somewhere between race and endurance so give or take a couple of spacers you can set it up to suit.
  • How about a Planet X RT-90?

Looks great in the yellow Carnac colours. Nicely under budget at £500, so you could treat yourself to some other bling bits in the spring too. Just throwing it out there.

FRPXRT90-CAR_P1.jpg
  • Anonymous
    By far the most important aspect of comfort is fit. The geometry that suits you depends on your body and how hard you push the pedals.

Saddle position is more important than handlebar position. Racers get ‘on the rivet’ when they’re chasing a break. That’s because the harder you push on the pedals, the less counterweight you need from your rearward bum to balance your weight over the pedals.

Conversely, the lower your intensity – an all-day ride, for example – the farther back you must sit to get weight off your hands. You can move the handlebar up, down, or all around, but it makes little difference to the amount of weight supported by your hands. That critical aspect of comfort comes from saddle position.

Most road frames sold today, including ‘endurance’ models, are flawed in that they have overly steep seat tubes for their buyers. For many people with many saddles, those steep seat tubes limit the rearward travel of the saddle to the detriment of weight balance. Of course they’re fine if you’re pushing 300 watts like the pros, but most buyers can’t do that for 15 minutes much less all day.

Although the cycling press drones on at great length about stiffness, it has practically no effect on performance.

Besides, the rear triangle is so named because it consists of two triangles. Triangles are the stiffest shape possible, with all material used to resist compression and tension and none wasted on bending resistance. Thus all diamond frames offer very little vertical compliance at the rear despite the hype about materials and design features.

The front end has more compliance because the fork bends to and fro in response to stress, which the front-end geometry translates into minimal vertical suspension. Even this effect is tiny compared to the suspension offered by the tyre. Wheels offer practically no suspension regardless of construction.

That some people use completely inappropriate bicycles for all-day rides means only that you shouldn’t listen to their advice on what to use for all-day rides.

So, for long distance all day riding you say you should sit further back. If you are yo do this on a bike with a low front end you're going to be at a quite an accute angle to be able to rest your hand on the bars in a position to reach the levers. Or have a large amount of spacers above the headset to keep the bars high enough to stop you being so stretched forward. This is not what I would call a comfortable long distance all day riding position.

Try riding on the drops all day and see how comfortable that is. Especially going up hill
  • vortice
    vortice Posts: 244
    I would have said that Canyon Ultimate CF, but looking on their site it seems they don't sell the frames separately any more?

It's a website thing apparently. Emailed them recently and they are waiting for the website guys to populate the framesets.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Interesting comments OnYourRight, but surely it's easier to adjust your saddle position than your bars? Up and down is obviously easy and I would have thought that fore and aft could be taken care of since seat angle can't make so much difference, can it? Reach seems to be the big thing to me because an overly long or short stem will affect the steering feel, no?
    I've done quite a few laps of Longchamp and you see all sorts. It's the lack of bunch riding skill that bugs me more than position!
  • nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    I have a CAAD10, and love it. It is my go-to long distance bike when I am not looking for marginal aero gains, as my other bike is a med-high end carbon aero bike, a '15 Felt AR.

The comments talking about the CAAD10's connection to the road are true, I should prefer my Felt as it is the 'better bike' on paper, but the CAAD just feels right. The sound it makes versus hollow carbon also gives me a sense of its tautness.

I've raced both bikes, and taken both of them on sportives - the CAAD is my go-to bike for the mountains. Both weight the same, though the Felt isn't necessarily a light bike - 8kgs a piece.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Keeping it very simple for the Op:
    From your opening post it appears that the geometry of the Allez suits you to the ground - thus I will assume you are comfortable with a fairly "racy" geometry. You also want the bike for potentially long rides.
    Thus for the same geometry as the Allez and an upgrade I would recommend the Tarmac. The CAAD 10 I have already recommended, however, potentially for comfort purposes due to greater vertical compliance (Cannondale Spiel!) the CAAD 12 is maybe a better bet the CAAD10.
  • DAZZ_A
    So OnYourRight, what frame(s) are you recommending?
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Colnago Master X light at $2,390 NZ which is about 1,000 GBP at local store in NZ.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    If I had £1000 to spend on a frameset I'd be looking at one which is at least 50% off or is s/h, that way £1000 will get something really good.
  • Anonymous
    The supersix evo hi mod in the classifieds for 1150?
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    So OnYourRight, what frame(s) are you recommending?
    Don’t know.

If I had around a grand to spend on a frame for long-distance riding, it would be steel with custom geometry. But I don’t think that’s what you’re really looking for.

Good luck.

I guess the next question is How long is long-distance?
    and at what distance do you swap from aluminium to carbon to steel?
    :)
  • DAZZ_A
    Good point, I would like to do a few more 100 mile efforts next year and then set my sights on a new milestone.
  • DAZZ_A
    Thought I would bump this, I finally bought a new Frameset. Probably breaking all the rules and going against some of my requirements.

Proud owner of a new....... SUPERSIX EVO HI-MOD :D