Cyclocross as a winter bike

13»

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    The air does get denser in the cold doesn't it - but then all of your group would have felt the same ?
  • I bought this Canyon Inflite for winter use in December 2014:
    canyon.jpg

Just recently aquired this Rose DX Cross:
    rose_01.jpg

Both are for road use only. No off road.
    Need them for 2 different house locations.

More details:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13040609
  • simon t
    simon t Posts: 132
    CX bikes with discs do make excellent general winter bikes for commuting and general club rides. but...if you go out with a fast paced training group (18-20mph) it can get tiresome dragging a 10kg bike uphills while the guy next to you is on a carbon di2 bike with race blades!

something like a kinesis racelight with 105 and guards is a better solution imho.
  • CX bikes with discs do make excellent general winter bikes for commuting and general club rides. but...if you go out with a fast paced training group (18-20mph) it can get tiresome dragging a 10kg bike uphills while the guy next to you is on a carbon di2 bike with race blades!

8.3kg for the Rose, before you winterise it.
  • CX bikes with discs do make excellent general winter bikes for commuting and general club rides. but...if you go out with a fast paced training group (18-20mph) it can get tiresome dragging a 10kg bike uphills while the guy next to you is on a carbon di2 bike with race blades!

8.3kg for the Rose, before you winterise it.

Really? That's lighter than the carbon Renegade Elite which is Ultegra mech group with carbon frame/seatpost and a 1500g (£700 rrp) wheelset. In a 58cm, Road.cc weighed it at 8.7kg.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • This is my winter/wet weather steed.

Boardman CXR 9.8 Frameset
    Ultegra 11 speed DI2 (with 28-11 cassette)
    Wheelsmith Race24 clincher rims with Hope Pro2 Evo hubs
    FSA SLK Light Chainset (52-34)
    TRP Spyre Disc Calipers

IMG_0483_zps4vjcsvpd.jpg

Its weighs 8.3 kg with the current winter 28mm tyres and 8.1kg with summer tyres (Michelin Pro4 Service Course 23mm)

So, a CX bike need not be heavy. It's spot on for riding the mountains of South Wales in the winter/summer wet weather.
  • johnmcl7
    johnmcl7 Posts: 162
    I've been debating a CX bike for road use for a while and a bit concerned by comments here about how much slower the CX bikes are but then again, it perhaps doesn't affect me so much as I don't have a great road bike. I have a 2013 Trek 1.5 which has an aluminium frame, carbon fork, 23c slicks and a Tiagra groupset so all pretty standard, basic stuff and I use it day to day cycling (commuting going into town), longer leisure rides and originally for group rides as well. Coming into winter though it's not great (I previously had a hybrid but I've stopped using it and trying to cut down on bikes) so I'd like to replace it with a bike that has Shimano hydraulic brakes, mudguard mounts, aluminium frame and internal cable routing.

I'm tempted by the Pinnacle Arkose Four which has an aluminium frame, Shimano hydraulic brakes, mudguard mounts and some internal cable routing so I can get mudguards on it and I was thinking of picking up a set of Shimano CX31 wheels to stick some 25c slicks on. With it being a non-brand name and fairly plain looking I'm hoping it's not as much a theft risk although I don't live in a high risk area. It's going to be a bit slower than the Trek but I'm assuming in practice not that much worse?

I've been looking at road bikes with discs since that's more what I want (I won't be using the bike off road in any way at all) but I can't find any in the price range and many tend not to have mudguard mounts. I don't mind spending more on a bike if it's something that would suit my use better.

Edit - Saw the Cube in the OP's post which looked good, I hadn't looked at them before but this one looks good:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube-attain-sl-disc-road-bike-2016/rp-prod141425