High quality, 3 season jacket - Ashmei or Rapha

Comments

• mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Gabba is not really a 3 season garment. It's fine and dandy if you can keep moving without interruptions, but you will lose temperature and freeze really fast when repairing punctures. Mossa's manufacturers also talk about it's performance 'while moving'. These could be option if you never puncture, but you probable trade that for riding on a hose-like Gatorskin or glue splattered tubeless.
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    Gabba is not really a 3 season garment. It's fine and dandy if you can keep moving without interruptions, but you will lose temperature and freeze really fast when repairing punctures. Mossa's manufacturers also talk about it's performance 'while moving'. These could be option if you never puncture, but you probable trade that for riding on a hose-like Gatorskin or glue splattered tubeless.

Choose Schwalbe Durano's instead! Very tough but fast riding and very grippy. You can then use a Mossa or Gabba. I rode through most of last Winter in a Mossa and didn't puncture once. Although it will no doubt happen one day, I usually train into work with a rucksack and carry another layer I can slip on if I have ever have to stand around.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Ah dammit, jacket is still stuck somewhere around Belgium according to GLS tracking - looks like ill not be testing it out this weekend :cry:

Oh well, it was a good saving and I had a feeling delivery might be slow, so I guess I can wait to next week before I can give a review!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I'm still waiting for it to get cold enough to wear my Alpha Jersey or Gabba (short OR long sleeve). Fawesome is still rocking for me - in fact even that was too hot today...
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I lament the passing of the Assos AirJack 851 - it was, for me, the perfect 3-season jacket. Nobody, including Assos, has come up with anything to match it. I used to do a 50km RT commute in the Scottish Highlands in mine (I have 2) and I always felt comfortable. Even having tried various Assos, Rapha and Castelli offerings in more recent years, I'm still impressed when I put it back on. I suspect its only failing is that it is relatively weighty. It was even pretty warm when stopping for flats - I only carried a Montane Featherlite jacket as an extra windproof layer for such stops in poor weather. As hinted to in this thread, a 3-season jacket should be comfortable next to the skin. I think it should also have a specifically windproof/weatherproof front (and cooler rear) and it should have good visibility features. Finally, it should have a fair bit of "give" allowing for layering. The AirJack had all of these things.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Well, the good news for you is that the rumours of the passing of the AirJack 851 are exaggerated.

If you go to the Assos factory outlet webstore, you will see that a whole new batch of black AirJack 851 jackets have been produced in every size.

They are still making them on the quiet.
  • meanredspider
    Ah cool - I haven't been on the outlet store for a while - but the fact they are still selling them probably says all you need to know. Any Early Winter gloves in 851 on there too? They're brilliant. Will go and look!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    Ah dammit, jacket is still stuck somewhere around Belgium according to GLS tracking - looks like ill not be testing it out this weekend :cry:

Oh well, it was a good saving and I had a feeling delivery might be slow, so I guess I can wait to next week before I can give a review!

Mine arrived today from Wiggle. Needs to go back for a Large (should've known Sportful sizing by now..).
    First impressions are very favourable, nice and bright and appears to be well made.

For £160 it appears a bit of a bargain.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • bsharp77
    [url][/url]

Mine arrived today from Wiggle. Needs to go back for a Large (should've known Sportful sizing by now..).
    First impressions are very favourable, nice and bright and appears to be well made.

I think you've went for a different jacket, wiggle are charging £220. I ordered mine from bikeinn for £185.
  • teebs_123
    [url][/url]

I think you've went for a different jacket, wiggle are charging £220. I ordered mine from bikeinn for £185.

Nope, same one. Bike Inn have a 10% code that I used to bring it down to £160 which Wiggle price matched.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • bsharp77
    Nope, same one. Bike Inn have a 10% code that I used to bring it down to £160 which Wiggle price matched.

Oh well played that man....damn it, totally forgot to try and price match it! Now that is a fantastic bargain.
    Lesson learnt...!
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    I've followed your lead, awaiting a reply from wiggle...
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    I'm seeing the Sportful fiandre extreme neoshell for £155 at Bike Inn and there's a 10% code knocking around to reduce it further... :D
  • bsharp77
    I'm seeing the Sportful fiandre extreme neoshell for £155 at Bike Inn and there's a 10% code knocking around to reduce it further... :D

Only in medium and xl now though....(makes me feel slightly better!) :o
  • teebs_123

ORDER4M for 10% off
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • Rapha pro team at £160 at the mo...
  • meanredspider
    Rapha pro team at £160 at the mo...

€187 in NL (£136)
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    Wiggle have just price matched Bike Inn for me against the anthracite but the code also works against the Fire/Anthracite, bonus!

I've never worn Sportful before, I'm 5'9" with a 39" chest and a 33" waist and normally a medium in most cycle clothing, looking at the size guides a Large should be right for me, can anyone confirm this for me before I place an order please? Many thanks. :D
  • Wiggle have just price matched Bike Inn for me against the anthracite but the code also works against the Fire/Anthracite, bonus!

I've never worn Sportful before, I'm 5'9" with a 39" chest and a 33" waist and normally a medium in most cycle clothing, looking at the size guides a Large should be right for me, can anyone confirm this for me before I place an order please? Many thanks. :D

Sportful seems a size smaller than castelli gear. I have similar chest to you but smaller waist and take a medium in Sportful but large in castelli.
  • rowlers
    Wiggle won't price match for me! Best they could do was £95 for the fiandre light wind jersey.

Bike Inn it is then....
  • Wiggle won't price match for me! Best they could do was £95 for the fiandre light wind jersey.

Bike Inn it is then....

Good luck with that. They make Canyon wait times look like express delivery.
  • rowlers
    Wiggle won't price match for me! Best they could do was £95 for the fiandre light wind jersey.

Bike Inn it is then....

Good luck with that. They make Canyon wait times look like express delivery.

Really?
    I'll not bother with them then....
  • bsharp77
    Mine has just arrived from Bikeinn (they did try to deliver on saturday but work was closed) - I ordered on Friday 16th, so not too bad. I knew they would be a bit slow, but I wasn't panicking and thought the saving was worth it.

Just had a quick try on at work to make sure it fits - it feels like an incredibly well made jacket (surprisingly light and not too thick), the fit is in line with the Fiandre Light No Rain which I already have. The colour is also great - the red fire is lovely and bright, bordering on orange - perfect for the dull mornings/evenings ahead.

Im a large in most other brands (standard Rapha fitting for example) - this jacket is large, but is very figure hugging and fitted, which I see as a good thing.

I will post a detailed review once its cold/horrible enough to try it out! ....won't be long knowing our lovely weather! :lol:
  • bsharp77
    Aggh! Just tried on properly now I'm home and the jacket fits everywhere, except around the shoulders, where it is giving a funny feeling, as if the jacket isn't sitting in the right place - makes me keep rolling my shoulders to try and move it around.
    Has anyone else on here found any fitting problems??
    Im gutted as the jacket is such a quality piece otherwise - materials look really great and even feel good against the skin.

Ah man, I thought I was sorted...dont want to have to send this back to Spain!! :roll:
  • broona
    Typical! Do you mind if I ask how you compare in size to myself as I'm still not 100% sure which size to order, I'm 5'9", 39" chest and around a 33" waist?
  • bsharp77
    Typical! Do you mind if I ask how you compare in size to myself as I'm still not 100% sure which size to order, I'm 5'9", 39" chest and around a 33" waist?

Hi Broona,

Im around the same measurements as you, except a couple of inches taller.
    The jacket is a very close fit, so id say large would be perfect for you too.
    If you're anywhere near Beckenham you'd be welcome to try it on for size....I will have to arrange the dreaded return tomorrow!! :cry:

Ive just seen Ashmei are doing a great November promotion - run 1 mile, or cycle 5 miles every day in November to get 35% off your next order - that may be just the deal for me to try their jacket!
  • broona

Hi Broona,

Im around the same measurements as you, except a couple of inches taller.
    The jacket is a very close fit, so id say large would be perfect for you too.
    If you're anywhere near Beckenham you'd be welcome to try it on for size....I will have to arrange the dreaded return tomorrow!! :cry:

Ive just seen Ashmei are doing a great November promotion - run 1 mile, or cycle 5 miles every day in November to get 35% off your next order - that may be just the deal for me to try their jacket!

And even more typical I'm around 300 miles away but many thanks for the offer, think I'll just get it ordered from Wiggle and hopefully it fits, should do by the sound of things, thanks again.
  • broona
    Mine's just arrived, fits fine off the bike, hopefully it fits just as well on the bike, lovely bit of kit!

The red is really bright too, handy for the next few months. :(
  • zak3737
    zak3737 Posts: 370
    I've got the Sportful Fiandre Light No Rain, got it for summer evenings/damp days, and it is a superb bit of kit, really really well made, and performs brilliantly.
    I'm usually L or XL, but had to go XXXL in Sportful ! - tis made for Italian midgets !

Just sent for their Flash Softshell too, high hopes for that too.....