Etape Caledonia 2016

13»

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Brian B wrote:
    Come on you must have seen the usual suspects at sportives that get into groups and hammer it and dont stop for nothing. :twisted:

It's only a problem in "flat" events, where folks hammer at 25-30 mph and think they are racing... throw a serious climb in the first 20 miles and everybody calms down.

It's understandable (if unforgivable), there is no challenge from the geography, so the challenge becomes going as fast you can.

Personally, I don't do events which are not challenging, to avoid this type of folks/scenario.
    left the forum March 2023
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    Brian B wrote:
    Come on you must have seen the usual suspects at sportives that get into groups and hammer it and dont stop for nothing. :twisted:

It's only a problem in "flat" events, where folks hammer at 25-30 mph and think they are racing... throw a serious climb in the first 20 miles and everybody calms down.

It's understandable (if unforgivable), there is no challenge from the geography, so the challenge becomes going as fast you can.

Personally, I don't do events which are not challenging, to avoid this type of folks/scenario.

Classic cycling snobbery.
  • ugo.santalucia

Classic cycling snobbery.

Are you saying I am wrong?
  • gedme
    gedme Posts: 68
    My god surely no one wants to see this kind of litter but if its an organised event surely they should be cleaning it up after event,,,, Snobbery cmon chee if i knew they were not cleaning up after event or if they needed help i would have gone.... Cmon guys we all want best for cyclist be it at events or just out enjoying the freedom of the road..
  • bill_gates
    bill_gates Posts: 469
    The medals this year were good with the '10 year' on them.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • gedme
    Bill Gates wrote:
    The medals this year were good with the '10 year' on them.
    It was my first etapecaladonia so yes medals were good. I did pedal for Scotland last year all I got was goodie bag which had a bottle of water and a packet of crisps in it ha ha but was good event as well.
  • ugo.santalucia
    gedme wrote:
    My god surely no one wants to see this kind of litter but if its an organised event surely they should be cleaning it up after event,,,, Snobbery cmon chee if i knew they were not cleaning up after event or if they needed help i would have gone.... Cmon guys we all want best for cyclist be it at events or just out enjoying the freedom of the road..

Is it that bad? Every year I do a couple of sportives and I hardly see any discarded gel at the side of the road. Mind you, I don't do mass events with 20K entrants like the London Ride, but it seems to me the problem, if it exists, is being magnified out of proportion... we are probably talking 20-30 empty packages spread over 100 miles... it's not nice, but it's not the end of the world either
  • gusm41
    gusm41 Posts: 92
    Last year when I took part the amount of rubbish left on the road was disgraceful, hundreds of gel wrappers left lying about.
    It was really bad.
  • gedme
    gedme wrote:

Is it that bad? Every year I do a couple of sportives and I hardly see any discarded gel at the side of the road. Mind you, I don't do mass events with 20K entrants like the London Ride, but it seems to me the problem, if it exists, is being magnified out of proportion... we are probably talking 20-30 empty packages spread over 100 miles... it's not nice, but it's not the end of the world either
    They had stretches where you can drop litter gel drops but there was people there picking them up. I saw some on the ground but never thought was that bad. I still think they can sort this guy said it was next day he noticed it my thoughts are it would be cleared on Monday or the Tuesday.
  • ugo.santalucia
    gusm41 wrote:
    Last year when I took part the amount of rubbish left on the road was disgraceful, hundreds of gel wrappers left lying about.
    It was really bad.

OK... I am often at the front and rarely at the back, mostly because I like to set off early in events, so I might see fewer than there are.
    I have to say that fitting a wrapper back in the pocket is not the easiest operation and occasionally it fails, especially if you have long gloves and no feeling of what you are doing... if that happens would you brake and risk an accident to go back and collect it or let it go? I do assume that out of a 100 wrappers, maybe only half or less have been deliberately dropped
  • gedme
    gusm41 wrote:
    It was really bad.

OK... I am often at the front and rarely at the back, mostly because I like to set off early in events, so I might see fewer than there are.
    I have to say that fitting a wrapper back in the pocket is not the easiest operation and occasionally it fails, especially if you have long gloves and no feeling of what you are doing... if that happens would you brake and risk an accident to go back and collect it or let it go? I do assume that out of a 100 wrappers, maybe only half or less have been deliberately dropped
    Has anybody gone back and had another look?
  • ugo.santalucia
    gedme wrote:

I don't think much of mankind in general and cyclists in the specific, but I am inclined to think the number of them who actually deliberately drop litter is very very small.

Have you ever fitted a wrapper in the rear pocket and then pulled out a second one or something else and the wrapper fell off? You probably don't even notice it happening. Yes, there are rubbish bins, but when you ride a sportive you tend to concentrate on other things than spotting bins
  • gedme
    gedme wrote:

I don't think much of mankind in general and cyclists in the specific, but I am inclined to think the number of them who actually deliberately drop litter is very very small.

Have you ever fitted a wrapper in the rear pocket and then pulled out a second one or something else and the wrapper fell off? You probably don't even notice it happening. Yes, there are rubbish bins, but when you ride a sportive you tend to concentrate on other things than spotting bins
    Yeah but this started with someone saying they did part of the route the following day and saw how bad it was just wondering if it was probably Monday that they started the clean up. I can't think any event that's organised would be allowed to leave that amount of litter. Yeah I try to stick them in wee bag but wearing gloves and concentrating on other things sure some have fell out.