Etape Caledonia 2016

I'm in

4th time - any questions from new entrants?

Comments

• Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Me too

Dont particularly like the idea of the premium entry option - waves being seeded in terms of estimated finish time has worked for years and is a sensible policy to keep congestion to a minimium, but to have guaranteed entry for the first wave for extra ££ regardless of estimated time is taking the pish. Hopefully not many will have taken up the option.
  • 3rd time around for me and I'm also excited that it's the 10th anniversary in 2016 also.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • Alpina007
    Alpina007 Posts: 106
    The price put me off this year, great route but 70 odd quid plus an overnight stay and the prospect of the stramash at the start convinced me to give it a miss.
  • dov2711
    dov2711 Posts: 131
    It will sell out as its became a "bucket list" event but £85.71 is getting silly. 3 levels of basic entry offering nothing extra that I can see other than a sliding scale of increase. It's a money making machine kudos to the organisation in charge.
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    Having done this six times, last year my sister decided to get married on the same weekend so I did substituted this with another Scottish sportive insted. Having enjoyed this challenge more, my plan is to do that again insted of the EC.
  • Is anyone else getting multiple Registration confirmations? I've had four so far. It made me check my card transactions to make sure they weren't charging me more than once.
  • I've had a pile of the emails come in. Not getting charged anymore than the first time though, likely just a technical glitch on the registration system.

• doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    Yep, loads of emails from IMG for me too, still only 1 transaction though!
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • Squonk
    Squonk Posts: 10
    I'm in, first time on an event of any kind for me - can't wait!

Also getting multiple confirmations, a day or so apart but all saying the same thing. Thought I was maybe supposed to click on something to confirm or some such thing, but couldn't find anything.
  • DaveMoss
    DaveMoss Posts: 236
    Having done this six times, last year my sister decided to get married on the same weekend so I did substituted this with another Scottish sportive insted. Having enjoyed this challenge more, my plan is to do that again insted of the EC.
    What is the other event you are doing?
    I would imagine most Scottish sportives are better than this one, I don't understand the attraction of such a crowded event, but it obviously appeals to a lot of people.
    Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    I would imagine most Scottish sportives are better than this one, I don't understand the attraction of such a crowded event, but it obviously appeals to a lot of people.
    Three Pistes. There are a few more miles and it is a little bit more bumpy with hardly any cars passing you!

I did have to stop at one of the feed stations though!
  • Having done this six times, last year my sister decided to get married on the same weekend so I did substituted this with another Scottish sportive insted. Having enjoyed this challenge more, my plan is to do that again insted of the EC.

It's hardly crowded. It's a fraction of the size of Ride London or the Etape du Tour.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

It's hardly crowded. It's a fraction of the size of Ride London or the Etape du Tour.
    In my experience (did it for about 6 years until the 3P came along) it's not that crowded if you start reasonably early and you're on course for under 5 hours. Other folk talk about congestion on the narrow roads at the south side of the lochs, so it may well depend on being ahead of the crowd.

I liked the "big event" feel of the EC, the closed roads, the scenery, and it was my first experience of this kind of thing when I was very new to road riding - a good introduction.
    I like the smaller & friendlier (not that the EC's unfriendly) vibe of the 3P, the harder, longer route, the feed stops, the low key but efficient organisation, the scenery (let's face it, you'd have to try pretty hard to find a route anywhere north of Edinburgh that's not stunning).

Both worth doing.
  • The entry fee they are wanting for this is crazy. The are obviously struggling to sell it out as i have had a few emails trying to get me signed up. so i will be riding the route with a mate in the summer. Enjoy.
  • The entry fee they are wanting for this is crazy. The are obviously struggling to sell it out as i have had a few emails trying to get me signed up. so i will be riding the route with a mate in the summer. Enjoy.

You are my hero. Ride on man!
  • :D:D:D
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    The entry fee they are wanting for this is crazy. The are obviously struggling to sell it out as i have had a few emails trying to get me signed up. so i will be riding the route with a mate in the summer. Enjoy.

:D:D:D Glad I came back to Bikeradar to see this kind of thing....

:D:D:D Glad I came back to Bikeradar to see this kind of thing....

The issue being?
  • gedme
    gedme Posts: 68
    Hi new to this site. I am doing Etape for first time this year be interested to here from other's who have done this before.
    I did the big belter last year 110 miles and had great time ( Although was bit slow ) and will be doing it again this year. My times are improving but really all i hope to do in these challenges are complete them. Like i say new to this site so any tips would be great. :lol:
    Ged
  • gedme
    Rollemynot wrote:
    I'm in

Hi did pedal for Scotland last year 110miles was good but this is first etape been reading few things on here lot of negative comments. Is the start bit congested? Or do they stagger times?
    Ged
  • Omar Little
    gedme wrote:
    Rollemynot wrote:
    I'm in

Hi did pedal for Scotland last year 110miles was good but this is first etape been reading few things on here lot of negative comments. Is the start bit congested? Or do they stagger times?
    Ged

Take the negative comments with a pinch of salt, there are a lot of riders (like myself) who go back year after year so they must be doing something right. :)

The start is staggered in 2 minute waves. A bit nearer the time they will email you with what starting wave you are in, these are based on what your estimated time was when you signed up.
  • bill_gates
    bill_gates Posts: 469
    Approx. 1 month to go for this for 2016. Anyone started their training plan yet or doing a course recce?

• rollemynot
    rollemynot Posts: 436
    Bill Gates wrote:
    Approx. 1 month to go for this for 2016. Anyone started their training plan yet or doing a course recce?

Cranking up the miles - no real need for a course recce, unless you fancy a weekend away (Fonab Castle is amazing).

There are many YouTube videos if you want a feel for the course and peoples riding skills
  • gedme
    gedme wrote:
    Rollemynot wrote:
    I'm in

Ged

Take the negative comments with a pinch of salt, there are a lot of riders (like myself) who go back year after year so they must be doing something right. :)

The start is staggered in 2 minute waves. A bit nearer the time they will email you with what starting wave you are in, these are based on what your estimated time was when you signed up.
    Hi thanks for that sorry take so long to answer been bit busy. Yeah looking forward to it had a look at course can't wait. Probably not fastest but times are improving.
  • gedme
    Bill Gates wrote:
    Been putting in miles lots of climbs and going out in all conditions trying to improve stamina. My problem hmmm not problem but I'm away to India for ten days come back couple of days before event hoping no deli belly :D was out for 30miles today felt good so must be working.
  • bill_gates
    bill_gates Posts: 469
    10 days in India on the lead-up is ideal carb loading and tapering all combined. :-)

• Omar Little
    Anyone got their wave number yet?
  • gedme
    Bill Gates wrote:
    10 days in India on the lead-up is ideal carb loading and tapering all combined. :-)
    Lol it's a busy holiday so hopefully will get plenty of exercise... 8)
  • gedme
    Bill Gates wrote:
  • gedme
    Anyone got their wave number yet?
    No not as yet but there meant to be up today Omar.