Etape Caledonia 2016

Comments

• gedme
    gedme Posts: 68
    Anyone got their wave number yet?
    No not as yet but there meant to be up today Omar.
  • rollemynot
    rollemynot Posts: 436

They will still be sorting out the 5 people who paid a premium for an early wave slot!
  • bill_gates
    bill_gates Posts: 469
    No email to me today about wave numbers. Anyone else received it yet?

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Waves are up now and it looks be a little different to previous years - only 5 waves with more people in them and a longer time slot. Not sure why they have tinkered with it, the previous system was a little chaotic before the start with riders in the later waves blocking the street but the 2 minute gaps meant things werent bunched up too bad once you got underway.

Anyway im in A so cant complain too much.
    Rollemynot wrote:

They will still be sorting out the 5 people who paid a premium for an early wave slot!

Seems to be about 150 in the premium wave, much more than i was expecting
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Wave A for me too.

Yeah it does seem a little odd. I've never made my wave in any of the times I've ridden the EC. It's just been a case of turn up, do as much jostling as I can, then give up and wait for whatever wave I end up in. It's become part of the the event :-)

We're staying at the Moulin Hotel so it's a freewheel to the start.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Have fun folks

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weat ... 1462060800

I've got a set of 28mm studded tyres I'm willing to rent out to the highest bidder...
  • thegreatdivide
    bompington wrote:
    Have fun folks

I've got a set of 28mm studded tyres I'm willing to rent out to the highest bidder...

It's on the 8th.
  • bill_gates
    What is the link for the wave times?

• thegreatdivide
    Bill Gates wrote:
    What is the link for the wave times?

Main page, big green button, 'FIND YOUR START TIME'.
  • bill_gates
    Got it. Wave B for me which is an earlier start than previous!

• bompington
    bompington wrote:
    Have fun folks

It's on the 8th.
    :twisted: darn, rumbled too easily.
  • rollemynot
    Waves are up now and it looks be a little different to previous years - only 5 waves with more people in them and a longer time slot. Not sure why they have tinkered with it, the previous system was a little chaotic before the start with riders in the later waves blocking the street but the 2 minute gaps meant things werent bunched up too bad once you got underway.

Anyway im in A so cant complain too much.
    Rollemynot wrote:

Seems to be about 150 in the premium wave, much more than i was expecting

Me too.

Wave B for me - I have been told (not officially) you bunch in to your wave and when each start pen is full - approx same as before 200 riders then off you go. Def makes it easier to ride with your mates but time will tell if it works
  • thegreatdivide
    Still too early for a secure forecast but I reckon we'll have to trade a better temp for precipitation. It wouldn't be an Etape Caledonia without a bit of the wet stuff ;-)
  • bill_gates
    Current forecast looks to be dry and not too windy.

• bill_gates
    Weather update: Looking like it could be dry, hardly any wind and possible between 16 and 19 degrees Celsius on Sunday.
    Yippee!

• rollemynot
    :D happy days - no excuses this year :?
  • thegreatdivide
    Those temps will be from midday onwards (when I'm in the courtyard of the Moulin Hotel getting the beers in) but a just shy of 10C start will be fine for me.
  • thegreatdivide
    That'll be the showers on now...
  • bill_gates
    A wee shower to wash the dust off our hallowed Tarmac for Sunday. :-)

• gedme
    My first time wave C have to go to car park near Fern cottage restaurant..... weather looks to be ok...... Good luck to you all.
  • bill_gates
    I registered at the event village last night and the atmosphere around town is pretty good. Plenty nice bikes on show also.

• gedme
    Great day how did we all do?
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Was loving it until i got a puncture with about 3 miles to go. That was rather frustrating to say the least!

The great weather afterwards made up for it though, had some lunch and then went out for a short ride on the other bank of Loch Tummel across from the queens view (Foss i think?) and carried on for a bit - ended up doing another 50 miles and getting surburnt :D
  • gedme
    Was loving it until i got a puncture with yabout 3 miles to go. That was rather frustrating to say the least!

The great weather afterwards made up for it though, had some lunch and then went out for a short ride on the other bank of Loch Tummel across from the queens view (Foss i think?) and carried on for a bit - ended up doing another 50 miles and getting surburnt :D
    Frustrating indeed especially with only 3miles to go. I did ok but felt it on second 40m after the schiehalion climb been sick for couple days before etape was in India had sunstroke ended up running back forward to the pan but hey still great day.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Was up cycling some of the roads of the Etape a week after the event and the amount of gel and bar wrappers on the road was shocking. No wonder the locals hate this event. I've done loads of sportives so I know how easy it is to get hyped up and when you maybe working hard with a group its not like you want to stop or put a sticky gel in your pocket.

But hey no matter what you think your doing YOUR NOT ACTUALLY RACING JUST PRETENDING TO and all it takes is a having a small bag in your pocket to put your gel wrappers in.
    Brian B.
  • gedme
    Brian B wrote:
    Was up cycling some of the roads of the Etape a week after the event and the amount of gel and bar wrappers on the road was shocking. No wonder the locals hate this event. I've done loads of sportives so I know how easy it is to get hyped up and when you maybe working hard with a group its not likewise you want to stop or put a sticky gel in your pocket.

But hey no matter what you think your doing YOUR NOT ACTUALLY RACING JUST PRETENDING TO and all it takes is a having a small bag in your pocket to put your gel wrappers in.
    So why put capital letters? Who said we were racing? Most locals I spoke to were fine Pitlochry was buzzing I stayed over night never heard anybody say anything bad. Yeah it should be looked at litter situation they did have stretches where you were able to have gel drink if needed I put my empty ones in wee bag I had. I wanted to time myself but was racing no one.
  • bill_gates
    I thought the litter zones were a good idea and new this year but I kept missing that they had started so was well passed them before I had time to think about getting my pockets empty.

I think I ended up taking most of my gel wrappers all the way to the finish with me although I did accidently drop an unwrapped half bar of chocolate caramel SiS Go Bar which was annoying as they are one of my favourites. :-)

• Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    gedme wrote:
    Brian B wrote:
    Was up cycling some of the roads of the Etape a week after the event and the amount of gel and bar wrappers on the road was shocking. No wonder the locals hate this event. I've done loads of sportives so I know how easy it is to get hyped up and when you maybe working hard with a group its not likewise you want to stop or put a sticky gel in your pocket.

So why put capital letters? Who said we were racing? Most locals I spoke to were fine Pitlochry was buzzing I stayed over night never heard anybody say anything bad. Yeah it should be looked at litter situation they did have stretches where you were able to have gel drink if needed I put my empty ones in wee bag I had. I wanted to time myself but was racing no one.

Dont take it personally Gedme but as an experienced sportive rider I know lots of people who do think they actually are racing and they do throw their wrappers away after use. If nobody was racing then the reason for throwing crap everywhere is just due to sheer laziness and dont really appreciate the countryside.

Come on you must have seen the usual suspects at sportives that get into groups and hammer it and dont stop for nothing. :twisted:

No wonder Pitlochry was buzzing but its only the start/finish the rest of the route does not really benefit from the event.

Not wanting to get into a tit for tat but my final word is that I cycle all over Scotland and get really tired of cycling roads after sportives and seeing the amount of rubbish left afterwards.
    Brian B.
  • gedme
    Brian B wrote:
    gedme wrote:
    Brian B wrote:

Dont take it personally Gedme but as an experienced sportive rider I know lots of people who do think they actually are racing and they do throw their wrappers away after use. If nobody was racing then the reason for throwing crap everywhere is just due to sheer laziness and dont really appreciate the countryside.

Come on you must have seen the usual suspects at sportives that get into groups and hammer it and dont stop for nothing. :twisted:

No wonder Pitlochry was buzzing but its only the start/finish the rest of the route does not really benefit from the event.

Not wanting to get into a tit for tat but my final word is that I cycle all over Scotland and get really tired of cycling roads after sportives and seeing the amount of rubbish left afterwards.
    Yeah they do and its one of reasons I will never join a club. I do it to improve my cycling not out to break records mm mm well maybe my own but I do enjoy the day. Yeah ok most of route does not benefit but it's mainly charity event so maybe they should look more closely at this. I saw lots lying around but was hoping that they would have been experienced enough by now to deal with it. When I did pedal for Scotland last year can't remember seeing anything like I saw on sunday. Anything I use while cycling normally gets stuck back in pocket or like I say wee bag I have on bike when doing these kind of miles...
    But agree love cycling over Scotland and of course don't like seeing litter of any kind.
  • bompington
    So let me get this right, it's OK to drop litter if you're a Real Cyclist in a Real Race? But not if you're one of those lesser beings who just fantasise about racing.

Of course it's not OK to drop gel wrappers or anything else. But I'm detecting just a whiff of the classic cycling snobbery which is a bit narked that it's so popular these days...