London TdF - non!

yourpaceormine
yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
edited October 2015 in Pro race
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/34385718

TfL pull out signing contract with ASO.... :-(. Hopefully that does not annoy ASO to the point of not considering British bids in future

Comments

• JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/34385718

TfL pull out signing contract with ASO.... :-(. Hopefully that does not annoy ASO to the point of not considering British bids in future

I'm sure that any future bid willing to stump up the cash will be ok. Rather annoying from TfL though, guessing they tried to play hardball and lost...
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    edited September 2015
    Edinburgh & Mancs going to be unhappy. Yorkshire thought that their depart was worth it in tourist revenue and publicity.

Edit: although it depends who does the adding up apparently.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33513232 Versus http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-visit-leaves-welcome-to-yorkshire-1m-out-of-pocket/
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    maybe its just me but youd have thought the value for money estimates would have been done in the putting the bid together stage, not the after youve "won" the bid and are about to sign a contract stage

part of me isnt that disappointed though,it feels too soon after Yorkshire and would inevitably have compared unfavourably, and it would no doubt have just been a flat loop and then up round Box Hill again
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/34385718

my thoughts exactly
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    Rank amateurs.

Firstly tabling a bid without doing the proper sums

Secondly meaning another UK city didn't get it

Thirdly meaning that it'll be years before ASO look at London again
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Way to go London.

It's a dump anyway.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    This is a joke.

TfL want 'value for money' yet they also want to put raised platforms in Regents Park. Are they doing this to help with after? No. They are doing it to ensure they spend as much of their budgets as possible to ensure their budget aren't cut too heavily in the future.

Whoever, decides upon their policy is clearly not good at accounting, communication (in English or French) and has no idea of his job role.
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    Edinburgh & Mancs going to be unhappy. Yorkshire thought that their depart was worth it in tourist revenue and publicity.

Edit: although it depends who does the adding up apparently.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33513232 Versus http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-visit-leaves-welcome-to-yorkshire-1m-out-of-pocket/

These articles show exactly the issue. The claim is that Welcome to Yorkshire lost £1m whilst over £100m was generated in increased Tourist revenues. That sounds like a good job well done as far as I am concerned.

TfL may be looking at their budget rather than the increased revenues that will be generated. Who knows? not me.

I am not particularly bothered that London hasn't got it though. It is too near 2014 and as other threads have been discussing, we should be focussing on developing the Tour of Britain and the Tour De Yorkshire in the meantime.

I'd be pitching for 2020 (ish) and hoping that it started in Edinburgh (though I fear that it is too far north). I'd also be pitching for the Giro and the Vuelta. Anyone who was in Belfast last year knows how brilliant that was.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    Shame.

London's been spoiled recently however.

Would imagine positive impact of TdF is much smaller in London than in smaller towns.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    Given the huge boom in interest in cycling here in the last few years, I'm sure they'll be keen to come back as soon as they can.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    edited September 2015
    Bring it over here - we've got some nice climbs, some lovely coastline and a billion sheep we could dye yellow.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • TfL is such an embarrassment to the whole of UK. Its like taking your new girlfriend on a date and pulling out just before the dinner is served because you dont have any money.
  • Meh. Not arsed about it not being in the UK so soon after 2014. Familiarity breeds contempt.
  • TfL is such an embarrassment to the whole of UK. Its like taking your new girlfriend on a date and pulling out just before the dinner is served because you dont have any money.

If you have to pay her, she's not your girlfriend.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    Bringing back bad memories goat? ;)
  • Bringing back bad memories goat? ;)

Of the many dating misadventures of the young Disgruntledgoat, currency changing hands never figured. It was about the only disaster that did not, but lets not go there.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Seem to forget Stage 3 finished in London in 2014. So TDF coming to back to London in 2017 would have been only a 3 year gap.

Plus there is Tour of Britain and London Surrey classic all paid for by TFL. Not in the same price bracket but still an outlay.

But I agree a pigs ear made as TFL knew the costs from the outset and £ spent by spectators would outstrip their outlay. Real shame as not a lot better places in the world to stage such an event.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,602
    But I agree a pigs ear made as TFL knew the costs from the outset and £ spent by spectators would outstrip their outlay. Real shame as not a lot better places in the world to stage such an event.

I know London has the landmarks, and the infrastructure in place to cope, but the third stage of 2014 TDF was easily the worst of the three UK stages.

I'd rather it stayed away for a few years, makes its return more of an event. And if anyones that arsed, Mont St Michel isnt exactly a million miles away next year.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • rick_chasey
    2007 was mega though
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    BoJo says he pulled the plug as it wasn't worth it...
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    TfL is such an embarrassment to the whole of UK. Its like taking your new girlfriend on a date and pulling out just before the dinner is served because you dont have any money.

If your pulling out before dinner is server then that has to be considered a win.
  • rick_chasey
    BoJo says he pulled the plug as it wasn't worth it...

Wouldn't want the new mayor to capitalise on his efforts in the way he did with the hire bikes & Olympics (both Livingstone)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Boardman agrees. Says money better spend on infrastructure (i.e humps in regents park) :roll:

(that's what TFL are doing, not what boardman recommends, btw)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I wonder about the time line for this, for example was the bid made by TfL before the Yorshire bid was won? I'm surprised ASO offered it to the UK again given that we ve been rather spoiled over the last few years and I suspect that part of the reason for it is that TfL would have been expected to pay a large sum of money to them which they ended up baulking at.

If the Tour were to come back here it would be much better for it to start in another region and then finish in London again a la the Yorkshire weekend
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    I hope Berlin hosts it now. I quite fancy going over there for a Grand Depart weekend.

I also still think that South Wales and the Giro would be a perfect match.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • I'd much rather see the Tour start away from London and finish away from London. The Yorkshire stages showed that events can be success outside of the capital - there is no need for the race to go anywhere near London unless it's the only way the money can be raised. If the idea was a couple of stages round the South East that leaves me cold - we've had so much with the London-Surrey classic, Olympic RR, a few Tour visits - I don't think that would get me to travel down to watch.

I'd really like to see some stages in Scotland going up into the Highlands selling the lochs, mountains, castles aspect of the country with maybe a start or finish in both Glasagow and Edinburgh. That could combine great racing terrain, scenery made for the kind of coverage the Tour gets and it'd be a really big event for Scotland and maybe raise the profile of cycling up there.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • I'd much rather see stages in France...
  • I'd much rather see stages in France...

Can't fault this observation.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    I wonder about the time line for this, for example was the bid made by TfL before the Yorshire bid was won? I'm surprised ASO offered it to the UK again given that we ve been rather spoiled over the last few years and I suspect that part of the reason for it is that TfL would have been expected to pay a large sum of money to them which they ended up baulking at.

well the ASO have probably spotted the Brits are likely to pay alot more than the average so are happy to strike whilst theres a sellers market,though £35million seems an incredible amount of money to host a grand depart, if Yorkshire paid nearly that much those 100million boosts to the economy scales start to look not as promising.

I wonder if it was kicked off by that post olympic legacy organisation whose job it has been to try and get as many world class sports events/championships held in, well London predominantly it seems but I think its meant to be UK wide, and theyd just assumed it was always a blank cheque approach.

I think Bojo was damned either way, if he'd spent 35million on the Grand depart it would have looked like he's just deliberately wasting alot of TfL money the next mayor could have spent on something Londoners might actually want.