• RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    212409_PIC560955131.jpg

214600_PIC560975978.jpg

Wonder how TCS will incorporate WC stripes into their kit :D
    Maybe we'll find out next w/e.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Did EBH and GVA throw away their opportunity?

Looked to me like EBH was cooked and couldn't do a turn so GVA just sat up.
  • I hope it was his girlfriend who was snogging his face off...... :lol:
    I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
    Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
    Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
    Trek Madone - Carbon
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    Pleased to see Navardauskas on the podium. Liked him since he joined in the banter on Caerphilly Mountain a few years ago!
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Side note.. This is the worst coverage of a race I've seen in a long time. All week that is. To top it they didn't even fancy showing the sprint for 2nd place.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Andre Greipel ‏@AndreGreipel 7m7 minutes ago

That @petosagan is quite a good bike rider-Congrats...but Germany was giving there best

CP8DZ_OWsAASsgU.jpg
  • Side note.. This is the worst coverage of a race I've seen in a long time. All week that is. To top it they didn't even fancy showing the sprint for 2nd place.

That makes me feel a bit better. I thought I had completely missed it in the excitement of Sagan's win.
  • Reflections watching it again (my wife was out earlier and she's into pro cycling too).

Should Belgium have saved Boonen to the last lap - Gilbert didn't really feature and Boonen looked strong?
    I'm glad Sagan held on - always prefer the rainbow stripes to be worn by a big name and Michael Matthews hasn't done enough yet to merit that.
    I quite liked the course - I reckon there was enough in it for pretty much any sort of rider to have a chance bar the lightweight pure climbers.
    Agree the pictures were poor - and these were the best they provided this week - didn't spoil my enjoyment but they need to pay more attention to that.
    Good effort by Kirby and Stephens on Eurosport
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Thoroughly enjoyed that. A great race and a deserving winner. Few notes from my watching

The Belgian workers did a great job. Iljo and Vandenburgh in the 80km to go part, Vanmarcke laid the ground for Boonen's attack nicely too. Thijs Benoot was outstanding in the final too. Looking forward to seeing him develop further next season.

We nearly got laughed out of Keisse's dad's bar when my mate said "you must be proud of your son" to Iljo's sister.

Thought GB played a bad hand well. Credit to Stannard for committing to a move and making a difference in the race.

The Spanish guy piling into the back of that crash will never stop being funny

Pleased for Sagan. I'm not a huge fan but he's deserved that for the way he's raced this year.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Great race. Italy appeared to cook themselves chasing down Farrar and Siutsou.

Shame about Boonen he looked strong but committed to the Stannard move. Hopefully we'll see him in that form next Spring.

Final mention for Conor Dunne, he showcased himself as a strong rider for a couple of hundred km's. Maybe a bigger team will take some interest in him.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Pleased to see Navardauskas on the podium. Liked him since he joined in the banter on Caerphilly Mountain a few years ago!

Yeh I quite like him as well. He's one of those "strong as an ox" riders.

So the last 3 world champions have gone on to have a pretty poor season the following year. Can Sagan buck the trend?
  • milton50
    Side note.. This is the worst coverage of a race I've seen in a long time. All week that is. To top it they didn't even fancy showing the sprint for 2nd place.

The Worlds coverage is always sh!t.
  • Few bits from this morning's papers.

Navardauskas thrilled with 3rd. Says it's great propaganda for cycling in Lithuania. Will encourage sponsors and youngsters.

By contrast Michael Matthews is moaning that Gerrans should have been riding for him and is not happy with second. The moaning wee crabbit

Benoot was still in the top group on the last climb but got his mech caught in somebody's wheel and couldn't shift over the top. Legend.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • So the last 3 world champions have gone on to have a pretty poor season the following year. Can Sagan buck the trend?

Kinda depends on what would be classed as a good season for Sagan. More 2nd places? :D
  • Small statistical quirk.

The last three World Champions finished 8th, 9th & 10th (Kwia, Costa, Phil Gil)
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    edited September 2015
    Valverde's consistency is astounding - this year he has ridden two very good GT's and ridden well all year

In terms of worlds on very different courses placings 5,3,3,3,9,(37) (57) 3,2,2,6

Bouhanni did well to turn up in that front group - he was in that crash then seemed to get pushed off his bike by an over zealous helper and was back on the deck . Every time he races he wants it.
  • Does this result mean I'll have to stop referring to him as Peter Second?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Benoot. Phwoar.
  • There's a shake up on Team My Man for next year, with Thijs replacing De Gendt as topman.

@gietvangent
  • Fun facts, I found a ranking of best rainbow jersey seasons yesterday. Merckx tops it with 53 victories in (I think) 1972. Cav made top ten with 19 too.

How do we think Sagan will go?

@gietvangent
  • There's a shake up on Team My Man for next year, with Thijs replacing De Gendt as topman.

TDG had his chance, Goat, what can we say
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Fun facts, I found a ranking of best rainbow jersey seasons yesterday. Merckx tops it with 53 victories in (I think) 1972. Cav made top ten with 19 too.

How do we think Sagan will go?
    53 second places.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • milton50
    Benoot. Phwoar.

It's funny that Sep had one year as the great up and coming Belgian star and now it's Benoot's turn. It's a bit like England football fans with every new young player.
  • Had a great time at the World's over the weekend

Even got a snap of Boonen especially for Rick:-)

So, Navardauskas. His Lithuanian fed wouldn't pay for riders to go to Richmond or provide any support there. His gf handed up bidons etc yday. Even more kudos for his podium.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Benoot. Phwoar.

It's funny that Sep had one year as the great up and coming Belgian star and now it's Benoot's turn. It's a bit like England football fans with every new young player.
    The French and Dutch are like that too. You could fill a town hall with 'new Hinaults' and 'new Zoetemelks'
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • 20155194_283538_670.jpg

Been along time since Peter has been on the podium, he's not too sure of the protocols...
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Had a great time at the World's over the weekend

Even got a snap of Boonen especially for Rick:-)

So, Navardauskas. His Lithuanian fed wouldn't pay for riders to go to Richmond or provide any support there. His gf handed up bidons etc yday. Even more kudos for his podium.

Brilliant effort from Navardauskas. He's been coming on recently, it'd be great to see a good year from him in 2016.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Bit disappointed with the Norwegian tactics at the end - I'd assumed Boasson Hagen was spent but turns out he was told not to work and was following orders - no criticism of him for that but surely you have to catch the leader who is disappearing up the road with about a km to go before you decide to sit on. I guess the tactics made sense on paper but not the way the finale played out.

I don't know if it would have made a difference depends how much he had left I suppose, my guess is it would have needed more than those two to catch Sagan.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • https://instagram.com/p/8JVPhuKRSF/

Looks like Sagan pulled his foot out on the final climb.