La Vuelta 15 #8 Puebla de Don Fadrique / Murcia **SPOILERS**

Comments

• Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Boeckmans seriously injured in Vuelta a Espana crash

Lotto Soudal sprinter Kris Boeckmans is in a medically-induced coma tonight after sustaining serious injuries in a crash during stage 8 of the Vuelta a España on Saturday.

The Belgian was apparently taking a drink from his bidon when he hit a hole in the road and crashed hard.

The 28-year-old was taken to hospital in Murcia with severe facial trauma and fractures, a concussion, broken ribs and a punctured lung. He is expected to be kept in the coma for a few days.

The incident affected his teammates deeply. "I didn't want to leave boeckie behind before i saw him awake. I was crying like a child seeing him on the ground like this," his teammate Thomas De Gendt said on Twitter.

Boeckmans' crash set off a chain-reaction that also involved Tejay van Garderen (BMC), Daniel Martin (Cannondale-Garmin) and Nacer Bouhanni (Cofidis) all of whom abandoned the race.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Boeckmans seriously injured in Vuelta a Espana crash

Lotto Soudal sprinter Kris Boeckmans is in a medically-induced coma tonight after sustaining serious injuries in a crash during stage 8 of the Vuelta a España on Saturday.

The Belgian was apparently taking a drink from his bidon when he hit a hole in the road and crashed hard.

The 28-year-old was taken to hospital in Murcia with severe facial trauma and fractures, a concussion, broken ribs and a punctured lung. He is expected to be kept in the coma for a few days.

The incident affected his teammates deeply. "I didn't want to leave boeckie behind before i saw him awake. I was crying like a child seeing him on the ground like this," his teammate Thomas De Gendt said on Twitter.

Boeckmans' crash set off a chain-reaction that also involved Tejay van Garderen (BMC), Daniel Martin (Cannondale-Garmin) and Nacer Bouhanni (Cofidis) all of whom abandoned the race.

Awful
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    God. I hope he's ok. Horrible.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,700
    Was it a big mass pilup?
  • gweeds
    Was it a big mass pilup?

The footage only shows the aftermath with 20 or so riders down. Haven't seen how it happened or whether he was the first to fall.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,700
    No one has it seems
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    Oh my that doesnt sound good; I wish him all the best.

@petosagan 48m48 minutes ago
    I hope that what happened today is finally enough for starting doing things differently!!

Check this out:
    @Laura_Meseguer
    Peter Sagan penalized with 200 CHF for a "behaviour that threatens cycling image" + 200 CHF for "offences and threats"

You guys think this is fair?

Video of it: http://www.steephill.tv/players/720/sporza/?title=Peter+Sagan+angry+after+taken+out+by+a+moto+before+Stage+8+finish&dashboard=vuelta-a-espana&id=1.2427163&yr=2015

@olegtinkov 1h1 hour ago
    Oleg Tinkov retweeted Peter SagFan
    I think UCI and ASO are bunch of pricks that's it

For once i agree with you FF.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Oh my that doesnt sound good; I wish him all the best.

@petosagan 48m48 minutes ago
    I hope that what happened today is finally enough for starting doing things differently!!

Check this out:
    @Laura_Meseguer
    Peter Sagan penalized with 200 CHF for a "behaviour that threatens cycling image" + 200 CHF for "offences and threats"

You guys think this is fair?

Video of it: http://www.steephill.tv/players/720/sporza/?title=Peter+Sagan+angry+after+taken+out+by+a+moto+before+Stage+8+finish&dashboard=vuelta-a-espana&id=1.2427163&yr=2015

@olegtinkov 1h1 hour ago
    Oleg Tinkov retweeted Peter SagFan
    I think UCI and ASO are bunch of pricks that's it

For once i agree with you FF.

Beyond ridiculous. Taking the term jobsworths to the extreme
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    Stage 8 winner Stuyven did his fierce sprint to the line with a broken wrist, and is now out of the race.
    When I broke my wrist I couldn't brush my teeth, amongst other things.

What an amazing sport.
  • Stage 8 winner Stuyven did his fierce sprint to the line with a broken wrist, and is now out of the race.
    When I broke my wrist I couldn't brush my teeth, amongst other things.

What an amazing sport.

Unbelievable.

Adrenalin is an incredible thing.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    According to Boulting, Sagan is out of the race.

Edit: Also from Boulting.
    Some UCI fines so far:

Grmay 400 CHF (wrong jersey)
    Sagan 300 CHF (being angry after nearly being killed)

Nibali 200 CHF (cheating)
  • aztecboy
    aztecboy Posts: 384
    According to Boulting, Sagan is out of the race.
    [/quote]

Sadly true....
    I hope all these guys make rapid recoveries, a day to remind us just how dangerous this sport can be
    aztecboy
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    So the fans are deprived of one of the best and most colourful riders in the cycling world. That moto man should not be allowed in a GT next year as part of punishment.

With a motivated and inform Martin out, US rider with a point to prove out, leading sprinter Bouhanni out and the guy who has won more GTs than all bar one current rider out, it's not a fun Vuelta.

And just when I have got back from a week in Spain and was looking forward to watching my first stage live.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • gweeds
    There's plenty of racing left. All GT's see unexpected losses in the first week.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Just catching up with this properly. What the hell happened yesterday!

Sagan taken out by a neutral service and then fined because he's justifiably angry and now out of the race. I'm not his biggest fan as you know but that is just not on.

I hope Boeckmans recovers well. Not nice.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    There's plenty of racing left. All GT's see unexpected losses in the first week.

Not a lot of riders yet, though..
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,551
    Now this is the sort of thing the likes of Cancellara should organise a protest about. Is there a rider or DS in the race that's likely to get something sorted out?
  • thomthom
    What is there to sort out though? This season has been farcial but I don't recall the motos being that huge of a problem in previous seasons. Sure, there were the odd crashes that always will happen but it wasn't really worryingly bad.

Has something changed? Far more motorbikes in the races? A demand for better and instant pictures? What is it that should be sorted out?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,551
    Hard to tell from TV but there seem to be more vehicles on races. There also seem to be more pictures from camera bikes that are effectively in the peloton on narrow roads and can't get out of the way. We all want good coverage but the bikes need to make sure they don't impact on the race. Also, neutral derive and drink carrying motos are fairly new aren't they?
  • frenchfighter
    bettiniphoto_0220647_1_full_1.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    SPTDW1681.jpg

SPTDW144.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thomthom
    I'm inclined to say that the drivers should be more experienced and perhaps even be former riders themselves or something similar.. Knowing how the riders act just by instinct would have prevented the ridiculous crash of e.g. Fuglsang (and almost Hesjedal) in the Tour. The thing is, one moment later the same driver is smashing it down a mountain with 100km/h giving us incredible footage. They are the best around. Also, they might even be former riders as it is..I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    I'm quite liking the footage the bike cams are getting when it looks like you're part of the action! Awesome stuff.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    i still don't get how the moto could have done anything about the fuglsang crash. you can't automatically blame the moto for any incident because "it's a bike race so the riders can do what they want". if fuglsang had swung across the road while looking the other way and hit another rider he'd be getting slated for it
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    i still don't get how the moto could have done anything about the fuglsang crash. you can't automatically blame the moto for any incident because "it's a bike race so the riders can do what they want". if fuglsang had swung across the road while looking the other way and hit another rider he'd be getting slated for it

It wasn't safe to pass. End of story.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099

the moto began the overtaking manoeuvre from miles back, so Fuglsang won't have known it was going to do what it did. Had he executed the pass in two manoeuvres rather than one - ie drive up to the leaders' group and slow down to allow to riders to know he was there, *then* pass the group - then he could have done so safely. It is rightly the responsibility of the moto to pass safely and they should behave in such a manner at all times.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Man what a sh1tty stage. My two favourite riders out and another critical.

The Vuelta has always been the lesser GT and with amateur organisation like this, teams and sponsors won't want to put with it. It's not worth the hassle.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • frenchfighter
    Lotto Soudal's team doctor Servaas Bingé has revealed a CT scan has shown that Kris Boeckmans avoided any serious brain injuries
    Contador is the Greatest
  • gweeds
    110 motos and 70 cars within the actual race caravan.

That seems an awful lot.
  • frenchfighter
    175534_vuelta.jpg

20155142-279744.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest