Hope warranty?

13»

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I was under the impression the wheels were bought new from JE James, is this not correct? So they are not actually Evo, but the old Pro 2?
  • clint29
    clint29 Posts: 224
    So, as the Op has admitted the wheels came off his old bike, JE James couldn't be held responsible for the incompatibility of parts unless they assembled the frame into a bike?
    As stated in my earlier post I see this more of a Hope problem that's why I contacted Hope and not Je James. It's a known issue so should be stated on the packet? But more of a non issue now as the hubs are getting older so probably less about and as far as I'm aware the evo axles were designed to work with maxle lite.
  • clint29
    I was under the impression the wheels were bought new from JE James, is this not correct? So they are not actually Evo, but the old Pro 2?
    No the wheels aren't from James and they are the older pro 2. I could have been more clearer in op.
  • They wouldn't have been able to put the incompatibility issue on the packaging of the old pro 2 because they were superseded by pro 2 evo before Rockshox introduced the Maxle Lite. I believe Rockshox maxles were all 20mm back then so it would have been designed around the Fox 15mm axle.
  • clint29
    They wouldn't have been able to put the incompatibility issue on the packaging of the old pro 2 because they were superseded by pro 2 evo before Rockshox introduced the Maxle Lite. I believe Rockshox maxles were all 20mm back then so it would have been designed around the Fox 15mm axle.
    It's the rear axle and they're fully aware of the problem now.
  • But they weren't when they made your hubs. The Pro2 was on sale before the maxle so I don't see why Hope are more at fault than Rockshox.
  • clint29
    But they weren't when they made your hubs. The Pro2 was on sale before the maxle so I don't see why Hope are more at fault than Rockshox.

It's a non compatible part which is now widely known about, so should there be a warning on the packages if you were to buy a Hope axle or maxle lite? It's irrelevant how old each product is do you think a car manufacturer could get away from a recall by saying it was ok five years ago?
  • So why shouldn't Rockshox mark the maxle with the same incompatibility information?
  • clint29
    So why shouldn't Rockshox mark the maxle with the same incompatibility information?
    FFS did you read my post? :D
  • So why shouldn't Rockshox mark the maxle with the same incompatibility information?
    FFS did you read my post? :D

Yes.
    The Hope hub is compatible with every other axle and was in production before the Maxle
    Maxle. Rockshox are at least equally at fault for producing a different designs to all current products.
    You would only have a claim against Hope if they advertised it as being compatible, they don't have to advertise what it's not compatible with, otherwise everytime someone designs an incompatible axle they have to change their packaging and recall all parts from shops and distributors.
  • clint29

Yes.
    The Hope hub is compatible with every other axle and was in production before the Maxle
    Maxle. Rockshox are at least equally at fault for producing a different designs to all current products.
    You would only have a claim against Hope if they advertised it as being compatible, they don't have to advertise what it's not compatible with, otherwise everytime someone designs an incompatible axle they have to change their packaging and recall all parts from shops and distributors.
    Yes the next thing will be different wheel and hub sizes :D
    To be fair it's a dying issue as the old hubs will be getting rarer as always it would be nice to see some industry wide standards.
  • It's not standards when there are so many and they change every year.
  • Jimbob_no5
    Jimbob_no5 Posts: 1,568
    Hope have nearly the best reputation on reliability and quality of parts, the axles the factory send out in the hubs are steel, I've run my hope pro II for just over 5 years on DH bike and it has never missed a beat, I've not even replaced the bearings, only thing I changed was from an ali to steel freehub body for longer durability and more importantly more noise.

Looks like hope have been very reasonable in offering to replace the axle but rightly said that they won't replace the bearings as they weren't supplied by hope
    Pinkbike

I believe in only 2 things in life.
    1) Drink is not my friend
    2) D-Locking cnuts ;)
  • Hope have nearly the best reputation on reliability and quality of parts, the axles the factory send out in the hubs are steel, I've run my hope pro II for just over 5 years on DH bike and it has never missed a beat, I've not even replaced the bearings, only thing I changed was from an ali to steel freehub body for longer durability and more importantly more noise.

Looks like hope have been very reasonable in offering to replace the axle but rightly said that they won't replace the bearings as they weren't supplied by hope

I think you're missing the point. None of that is what the OP wants to hear so it's irrelevant, as is James liability under the SOGA, Hope's failure to use ESP to establish compatibility with all future axle designs etc.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • But they weren't when they made your hubs. The Pro2 was on sale before the maxle so I don't see why Hope are more at fault than Rockshox.

It's a non compatible part which is now widely known about, so should there be a warning on the packages if you were to buy a Hope axle or maxle lite? It's irrelevant how old each product is do you think a car manufacturer could get away from a recall by saying it was ok five years ago?

Would you like Hope to take all of their old products and test it against the latest products on the market, just to check the compatibility of the items? Worried that your old C2 Sport brake won't work with the latest Boost rear hub?

Or would you prefer it if SRAM went out and bought one of every hub on the market to make sure there would be no issues with their maxle light?
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    I have always found Hope extremely helpful and more than fair on the odd occasion I have had an issue with their products.

To such a point, I will actually try and buy Hope products for their excellent support.
  • This was an issue with older Hope hubs and the maxle light.

The Maxle light is slimmed in the middle so doesn't support the hub axle on the hopes so it flexes and snaps.

Its neither a hope or maxle lite issue, its just the parts are not compatible.

The "fix" is to find an alternative to the maxle lite.