Bikes and electronic trickery....what would you want?

13»

Comments

• Clockworkman31's idea is great, but I would add an electronic signal that alerts those traffic lights that are triggered by induction loops in the road, so that they can change for bicycles that the induction loops don't pick up.
    As above really.

Think it would be interesting to see - if you could have electronic components on bikes, what would you want?

No haters of the new technology. But genuine answers and reasons why.

Mine would be integrated security/tracking. Having had a bike stolen before, I'd want to know I could have a chance of getting it back.

And I don't mean a USB dongle that you chuck in your seat post or handlebar. I mean real integration in to the frame. Impregnating the frame with an antenna for maximum signal strength and having the module inaccessible, whilst using the energy from turning the cranks to always keep it charged. And I don't know maybe some sort of transmitter on it that pings popular apps as it passes by or the authorities. And says hey I'm stolen.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I think both of you are in the wrong forum. Commuting may be more suited.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I find the induction loops in the roads in Bath pick up my bike fine. I quite often annoy drivers by triggering the lights at the end of a bus lane and stopping them as it lets me through.
  • I want semi-auto gears. I've got 22 ratios & probably use just over half. Those mid-range cross overs between the big & little ring could be quite useful in minimising the jumps between gears.

So you are on 53x15, a 7.0 gain ratio, & decide to drop down a gear.
    Now you go to 53x17, which is a 6.1 ratio & quite a big change.

With semi-auto electro shifting, with one push of the downshift paddle you'd change to 39x12 which at 6.4 is not quite halfway between.
    Next downshift takes you to 53x17, next to 39x13, 39x14, 39x15, 53x21, 53x23 etc.

Would be even more useful for people with triples.
  • Maybe have a single tap for a change on the same block & a double tap/long press for the semi-auto shift.
  • cooldad
    If the thread wasn't dead before, that should kill it off.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Di2 But quite pricey after just reading the review in MBUK.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Sarcasm. Whooooosh

You always have a comment for me, tell me what you would do to prevent bike theft.

Or if you think you can grind out a piece of frame to remove a device, then you don't understand impregnating a frame with something. This can be done in so many ways and doesn't have to follow the same rule every time.

How do you think bike lock makers achieve certain standards (bronze, silver and gold sold secure standards that in most cases must be a minimum for insurers) whilst trying to maximize all of the variables.

Simple take one platform and create so many variables it isn't worth trying.

Guessing you have never had a bike stolen before or are you just too arrogant to realize the possibilities of technology.

Or maybe I should send this post to you using smoke signals. That sounds backwards thinking enough to sound plausible.

Working in the cycle trade, I get to hear all the unfortunate tales from people who have had their bikes stolen. It varies from leaving unlocked outside a shop to having their whole garage done over whilst on holiday and having 8 or 9 bikes stolen.

One of the things we have heard about is people having their bikes locked up in a shed/garage, and when they are stolen the thieves don't waste time cutting through an expensive lock. They just cut the frame in half.

If the scumbags are willing to chop a frame in half to save vital minutes, what is to say they won't just cut a chunk out of a frame? Bicycle manufacturers won't mount the tracking device in different places on each bike. This will make the assembly of the bike more complex, costing them more money.Most bikes will only have a few places were the tracker could be mounted due to frame design. And most bikes can't be made as strong as a lock because the designers have to consider such factors as weight, stiffness and responsiveness.
  • Mine was stolen in rush hour in the middle of a road at a proper bike lock. CCTV even seen it, along with so many other people. Lock cut and bike gone within a minute. But my misfortune was it being winter and wet so CCTV couldn't identify anyone.

Shocked to hear about frames being cut in half, it is the first I have heard of this.

I think it could be done with a device mounted in a random place each time. Then a thieve wouldn't know where said device was.

I know it sounds like a far fetch. But if such device did exist and it added a premium to the customer. I would gladly pay.

If we can have a helmet that contacts emergency services after a accident, then this should be simple.

All it fundamentally is, is a GPS tracker built in to a frame. Sound's like I am trying to sell it. But why would such a device not exist already.

Electronics and bikes, I only see a handful of ideas that would work. Others that have been launched seem strange to me like the Di2 shifting system.......why?
  • Even if you had three places said device could be mounted, how would a thieve know they have removed the device until they see it. If they did remove it, you could at least have a last known location.

Almost a year since mine was stolen and it was brightly colored enough. Never have I come across it for sale online or had a whiff about it or seen parts for sale online. And all parts were individual enough. Makes you wonder just where they go after being stolen.
  • RevellRider
    The device you were talking about would be powered by the turning of the cranks, this means on a full suspension bike it could possibly go in 2 places. Seat tube or downtube. Mounting anywhere else on the frame would lead to cable being needed and possible exposed.

Can you really see manufacturers mounting them in different places, when we have bikes built for 1x drivetrains that still come with cable guides and front mech mounts.

It's a noble idea, but in practical stakes, a failure. It's hard enough to get them tomake the same standard headset, bb and front mech mounting. Let alone them agree on where to hide a GPS tracker.

And do you know why a thief is willing to cut a frame in half? It is the easiest part of a stolen bike to identify.
  • The device you were talking about would be powered by the turning of the cranks, this means on a full suspension bike it could possibly go in 2 places. Seat tube or downtube. Mounting anywhere else on the frame would lead to cable being needed and possible exposed.

Can you really see manufacturers mounting them in different places, when we have bikes built for 1x drivetrains that still come with cable guides and front mech mounts.

It's a noble idea, but in practical stakes, a failure. It's hard enough to get them tomake the same standard headset, bb and front mech mounting. Let alone them agree on where to hide a GPS tracker.

And do you know why a thief is willing to cut a frame in half? It is the easiest part of a stolen bike to identify.

I don't go around stealing bikes so I can't answer why they cut frames in half. The only logical reason would be to harvest parts. But then they would be putting stolen parts on to a stolen frame.

I can't fathom how hard it would be to do (electronics and function I can). Bike theft is a real issue and locks can only do so much. Maybe bike manufacturers should sit up and take note. If you can block a phone that has been stolen, track a package in real time using GPS. I am sorry this is too easy.

If it means standardizing (even I can't see this happening), but look at phones that use Android, they all have to meet a minimum criteria (as set by google). So why don't they all get together and agree on a criteria they all agree on. Job done.

Not a complete idiot I understand the massive hurdles and logistics involved in it all. But it is not impossible.

If I knew where to start I would try to attempt this myself.
  • Have the solution, invent a platform with a few suggested mounting points and let manufactures decide what mounting they will use. Similar to IS and PM brake mounts. Put the antenna in a place where it will cover a large area, and if it was cut or the resistance of the antenna started deteriorating it would fire a last known position signal.

It is not impossible to do, the platform could be easy, I think the hardest part is manufacturers.
  • If I wanted to develop an idea how would one do so?

Have just thought of a major floor and thought of a way to protect it to allow tracking even if the device is out of range or cutting of the frame or so many other reasons.

In short I have just thought of the fail safe even if the bike is stolen. And it can be mounted in the same place every time and still work.

Possible eureka moment? I wonder? System could be backed up by three systems like the film i Robot three laws etc. Off topic but how come no one has noticed (even apple fans) the I Robot?
  • cooldad
    What I Robot has no one noticed?

And you develop and idea by developing it?

Design, patent, sell.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • RevellRider
    I told you why they sacrifice the frame when stealing a bike. It's the easiest part to identify. Strip a bike down, sell the parts on ebay. How can you prove that the Hope wheelset on there is yours?

I'm aware that phones can be shut down when stolen, but you don't have a GPS in your package from Wiggle. They track the van that it's on. You know, the big thing with a powerful motor that can also be used to harness electricity for the GPS transmitter.

Plus the manufacturers will never add something like this to their bikes. God forbid someone buy a bike and never need to buy another. How many times have they intvented the wheel these last few years, just so we can buy new bikes!
  • What I Robot has no one noticed?

Design, patent, sell.

My idea of sarcasm went down like a lead brick. ipod, iphone, iwatch.....irobot?

Patent idea, working prototype and sell the rights?

Now I want to explore the idea.
  • I'm aware that phones can be shut down when stolen, but you don't have a GPS in your package from Wiggle. They track the van that it's on. You know, the big thing with a powerful motor that can also be used to harness electricity for the GPS transmitter.

UPS use disposable GPS transmitters for packages. Doesn't even require a huge amount of electricity.
  • cooldad
    What I Robot has no one noticed?

Design, patent, sell.

My idea of sarcasm went down like a lead brick. ipod, iphone, iwatch.....irobot?

Patent idea, working prototype and sell the rights?

Now I want to explore the idea.

Except Asimov wrote that before Steve Jobs was even a sperm.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Could Asimov have been the Shaman for Job's or the precursor? How would you know?

But if Asimov was the precursor for jobs he would have factored in a way to kill the system. Now we just have to wait for apple to start consuming itself.

Jesting haven't heard of Asimov before but looks like an interesting read.
  • Jesting haven't heard of Asimov before but looks like an interesting read.

Haven't heard of Isaac Asimov? How is this even possible? Should I assume that you're quite young?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607

Haven't heard of Isaac Asimov? How is this even possible? Should I assume that you're quite young?

Yes, at the old/young 30. I did also get dismissed in high school from RE (Catholic School) for uttering the words Darwin and mentioning how the bible was flawed. I spent 2 hours a week for 2 years looking at a wall with a cross of Jesus crucified on it.

Yes, at the old/young 30. I did also get dismissed in high school from RE (Catholic School) for uttering the words Darwin and mentioning how the bible was flawed. I spent 2 hours a week for 2 years looking at a wall with a cross of Jesus crucified on it.

If you're 30 you have no excuse. :) Get yourself down to a book shop now. Asimov is one of the most famous science fiction writers (right up there with the likes of Arthur C. Clarke, Philip K. Dick and Robert Heinlein), one of the Godfathers of SciFi. And this is proper science fiction, about ideas, not just about explosions and shooting stuff. In fact, any of those four will do you good. You might also try John Varley, lesser known but one of my favourites (start with Millennium).
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607

If you're 30 you have no excuse. :) Get yourself down to a book shop now. Asimov is one of the most famous science fiction writers (right up there with the likes of Arthur C. Clarke, Philip K. Dick and Robert Heinlein), one of the Godfathers of SciFi. And this is proper science fiction, about ideas, not just about explosions and shooting stuff. In fact, any of those four will do you good. You might also try John Varley, lesser known but one of my favourites (start with Millennium).

I attended quite a poor High School. When I say poor they only wanted to teach what was required and didn't allow free thinking. It wasn't until I attended Tech that I learnt so much more about free thinking. In the hallway they where the lockers were they had a portrait of pretty much every important inventor/physicist with a paragraph about them underneath.

I don't think my bookshelf can take anymore weight atm. It is stacked with books that I have to read. But I think I might have to add a few more. It is a freedom for the imagination. I still need to acquire a Jean-Paul Satre book
  • cooldad
    Then you should at least try some Arthur C. Clarke.

He was not only instrumental in the development of radar, but, AFAIK, came up with the idea of using satellites in geosynchronous orbits for radio transmission (leading on to GPS etc.)
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Then you should at least try some Arthur C. Clarke.

He was not only instrumental in the development of radar, but, AFAIK, came up with the idea of using satellites in geosynchronous orbits for radio transmission (leading on to GPS etc.)

My something new for today I knew that the United States Military was the "inventor" of GPS but had never looked past this and to the person who created geosynchronous orbits. How physics can be so gratifying but dark at the same time.

Another one for the list, still reading E=MC2.

Will be interesting to see what CERN can and can't disprove.

It would be so interesting if CERN could put a small amount of doubt in the mind, it would chuck all of our laws of physics out of the window. And prove all logic to be wrong.

Interesting time to love science if you ask me.

But a question, how could your prove CERN actually works with nothing to compare it to?