Bikes and electronic trickery....what would you want?

Clockworkmark31
Clockworkmark31 Posts: 1,053
edited September 2015 in MTB general
As above really.

Think it would be interesting to see - if you could have electronic components on bikes, what would you want?

No haters of the new technology. But genuine answers and reasons why.

Mine would be integrated security/tracking. Having had a bike stolen before, I'd want to know I could have a chance of getting it back.

And I don't mean a USB dongle that you chuck in your seat post or handlebar. I mean real integration in to the frame. Impregnating the frame with an antenna for maximum signal strength and having the module inaccessible, whilst using the energy from turning the cranks to always keep it charged. And I don't know maybe some sort of transmitter on it that pings popular apps as it passes by or the authorities. And says hey I'm stolen.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Bearing wear sensors to let you know bearings are dead before it becomes obvious.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    Technology from Reiger suspensions applyied to bike shocks and forks, simple, tough and get the job done without any fuss. electronics are overestimated, maybe good for data collection and research but on the long run most times turned unreliable and often outdated and incompatible with something "newer or better"

Bike/fork manufacturers must do more research on the effect of rake on head angles used on their bikes.

Motorcycle companies adjust their rake accordingly, why not bicycle manufacturers, most fork companies use standard rake for 26-40mm 27.5/650b-46mm and 29-51mm for all bike manufacturers, only cannondale with the lefty went up to 61mm offset on their 29er and proved to be better, they claimed, oh and trek has something like a custom offset forks for one of their trailbikes line
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Motorcycle forks are designed to work with just one bike. I know from experience that if you want to upgrade your motorcycle fork then it's VERY expensive. I spent £1800 on an Ohlins fork for my old ZX7RR nearly fifteen years ago.
    Motorcycles also sell in much higher volumes so the economy of developing proprietary forks for each model balance out better.
    Mountain bikes are relatively low volume. As Giant found out with Overdrive 2 headsets, proprietary components probe to be extremely unpopular with customers who like to upgrade their bikes.
    Also, 90% of bikes are far beyond the capability of 90% of riders so minor tweeks to fork rake will do nothing for the majority.
  • Herdwick
    Motorcycle forks are designed to work with just one bike. I know from experience that if you want to upgrade your motorcycle fork then it's VERY expensive. I spent £1800 on an Ohlins fork for my old ZX7RR nearly fifteen years ago.
    Motorcycles also sell in much higher volumes so the economy of developing proprietary forks for each model balance out better.
    Mountain bikes are relatively low volume.

What I mean is to compensate, the slacker you go the more rake you need, so for a 65/66 deg head angled bike is useless to use the same rake as a 71/10 deg head angle of a cx bike, and then claim you have a spot on geo enduro trail tamer and other bs you read on reviews. the wheel trail difference is affected an awfull lot from head angle changes and defines handling/turning
    As far as cost effectiveness, I am sure will not cost much if they add some more rake on the forks offered for slack bikes, what they need to do is some experiment, and see what works for a specific genre of bikes best and offer a more suitable rake based on head angle rather wheel diameter only.
    As Giant found out with Overdrive 2 headsets, proprietary components probe to be extremely unpopular with customers who like to upgrade their bikes

This is what I call a failed attempt to overcome a problem that never existed.
    Also, 90% of bikes are far beyond the capability of 90% of riders so minor tweeks to fork rake will do nothing for the majority.

Although I totally agree with you here this,by definition renders useless any discussion and opinion exchange over any bike related subject at least by us, the every day riders
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Interesting read, but how does this fit in with electronic components on bikes?

Would you want electronic rake and trail?

I believe electronics do have there place on bikes but...I think this has yet to be realized.

Ferrari can make a car drivable for anyone, I am sure this will eventually filter to bikes in some form.

Another example, electronic bikes with KERs devices to allow people to ride who are limited. I don't mean that to sound bad but I am sure you understand what I mean.
  • Herdwick
    Interesting read, but how does this fit in with electronic components on bikes?

No, not really possible. well electronics can only cause problems, so avoid them the most.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Herdwick
    maybe ferrari can make a driveable car for anyone but certainly won't make or ever had a car repairable by anyone... so you get the meaning huh?
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • loudog
    loudog Posts: 136

Mine would be integrated security/tracking. Having had a bike stolen before, I'd want to know I could have a chance of getting it back.

And I don't mean a USB dongle that you chuck in your seat post or handlebar. I mean real integration in to the frame. Impregnating the frame with an antenna for maximum signal strength and having the module inaccessible, whilst using the energy from turning the cranks to always keep it charged. And I don't know maybe some sort of transmitter on it that pings popular apps as it passes by or the authorities. And says hey I'm stolen.

what a great idea. This must be well within the realms of possible.
    It matters not, win or lose, it's how you ride the bike
  • Interesting read, but how does this fit in with electronic components on bikes?

No, not really possible. well electronics can only cause problems, so avoid them the most.

My thread was asking what if any electronic components would you like on bikes. You mentioned a brand of suspension that is good mechanical suspension but had nothing to do with electronics. Hence my interpretation, would you like electronic rake and trail.

I don't believe electronics cause problems at all, if they have been well designed they help rather than hinder.

• Mine would be integrated security/tracking. Having had a bike stolen before, I'd want to know I could have a chance of getting it back.

Thanks,

It is 100% possible. When my last bike got stolen and I was searching for similar devices. I was only finding removable USB devices and was unimpressed.

This was my most logical thought of how to combat removing a security device from a bike. But it is only an idea.

Since every bike manufacturer is concentrating on tyre size it would be good to see them concentrating on bike theft. I am sure everyone who had a bike stolen would agree.
    what a great idea. This must be well within the realms of possible.
  • As above really.

Think it would be interesting to see - if you could have electronic components on bikes, what would you want?

No haters of the new technology. But genuine answers and reasons why.

Despite what people say, I think my idea is good and it belongs to me. If I knew how to take it forward I would.

But there must be other ideas out there? Bearing wear sensor, if you could do that then you would be a millionaire due to the amount of applications it could reach.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063

Despite what people say, I think my idea is good and it belongs to me.

Do you have a patent? If not it doesn't 'belong' to you.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • The things id like already exist or don't make sense to integrate. I should really have some sort of service indicator to remind me to do headset / fork services as I never keep track of riding hours.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The things id like already exist or don't make sense to integrate. I should really have some sort of service indicator to remind me to do headset / fork services as I never keep track of riding hours.

Already integrated. Just listen for the grindy noises.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • You cannot halt the flow of technology, no matter how much you may want to.

On a personal level I am keen on the bike computer side of the technology.
    (I'm getting a Garmin Edge)
    For me, that's what I'd like.

Technology on the bike itself does not appeal to me as much.

I like to ride the bike, and without being all hippy about it, I like to feel the bike and the ride.
    Electronic shifting would detract from that, as would other such ideas.

Also there is reliability, I've never had a software problem on a bike and I never want to!
    Electronics and mountainbikes just don't mix!!

• Despite what people say, I think my idea is good and it belongs to me.

Do you have a patent? If not it doesn't 'belong' to you.

It's my idea. Jesting, but it is. Understand the whole patent thing, if you don't patent an idea you can't prove it's yours. How much do patents cost haha?
  • You cannot halt the flow of technology, no matter how much you may want to.

On a personal level I am keen on the bike computer side of the technology.
    (I'm getting a Garmin Edge)
    For me, that's what I'd like.

I like to ride the bike, and without being all hippy about it, I like to feel the bike and the ride.

Also there is reliability, I've never had a software problem on a bike and I never want to!
    Electronics and mountainbikes just don't mix!!

Electronic shifting I too don't get, how about if the ideas were so well designed you didn't notice they were there. To me they are the best ideas.
  • Crash detection, long solo ride if it detects an impact bigger than a set amount of G's and no movement of the bike. An emergency message goes out?
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385

This

I don't want to come across all luddite but I ride my bike to get away from this sort of stuff.
  • Crash detection, long solo ride if it detects an impact bigger than a set amount of G's and no movement of the bike. An emergency message goes out?
    This already exists. Someone (can't remember who) makes helmets with accelerometers built in to detect a crash. When you crash it sets off a count down and if you don't stop the count down your helmet bluetooths to your phone and calls for help.

Yes a Yorkshire person who I believe was signed up to Dyson. At the time of reading IMO it seemed to be lacking, I remember reading the whole article and a few just didn't add up to what could be a life saving device.

As for people saying they don't need electronics in bikes, and shunning electronics. Is some sort of bike security not a good thing?
    This already exists. Someone (can't remember who) makes helmets with accelerometers built in to detect a crash. When you crash it sets off a count down and if you don't stop the count down your helmet bluetooths to your phone and calls for help.

ICEguard, when I first read upon it I thought it sounded promising but was lacking certain features.

It seems to have developed now.

I may or may not have criticized it when I first heard about it.

ICEguard, when I first read upon it I thought it sounded promising but was lacking certain features.

It seems to have developed now.

In fact at the time a few months ago it was limited to skiing and snowboarding more than anything.

Without going in to details I remember sending an email asking for use to be extended.

I may or may not have criticized it when I first heard about it.

Ok don't know if we are talking about the same product. But I remember reading about a similar device and fired of the email to dyson.

For some reason I can't comment on one of the recent posts on your linkedin profile the ICEguard that won a James Dyson award.

Anyway as someone who works in electronics and would be interested in a similar life saving device. Here is my response.

"As a fellow cyclist the only way I can see this being a good product, would be involved in the law side of things. Once an accident has happened the information I believe will not help medical staff. We are all created differently have different bone structures etc, so five people could have the same accident and have five different outcomes, I don't believe the device will help medical staff as they will always act in the way that they have been taught and will not deviate from this.

It could be a good device for proving cycling road accidents or even a device for mountain bikers who ride solo and have an accident, if you were to program it with set given parameters. It could detect once an accident has happened and relay the relevant information to emergency services. If you could do this it would appeal to a whole host of active sports."

Just my thoughts, if this reaches the relevant people then look in to using this product as a life saving device for multi disciplined sports for people who do these activities alone.

This way the product could recognize a hard impact log the GPS coordinates and monitor the time of inactivity of said person, once the threshold had been reached it will automatically send said data to relevant emergency services.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Fully electronic computer - the thing that tells your speed and distance... I've got one from Halfords good enough to use but PIA to set up and blx when the battery goes. Sometimes I would like a ray gun to kill people with too.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ray gun sounds good, or a laser for Stravassholes.

How about a built in fridge for mid ride beer.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    Crash detection, long solo ride if it detects an impact bigger than a set amount of G's and no movement of the bike. An emergency message goes out?

Which is no use if you don't have a signal.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Ray gun sounds good, or a laser for Stravassholes.

I think we could manage something like that with the new SWAT door and some ice packs on the new Stumpjumper

Which is no use if you don't have a signal.

True, but an SOS signal can be sent via other means. If all else fails burn the product and use smoke signals :D
  • Ray gun sounds good, or a laser for Stravassholes.

I think we could manage something like that with the new SWAT door and some ice packs on the new Stumpjumper

Now this is a worthy idea. Not sure where I sit on the SWAT door. A good idea or structural weakness.
  • Angus Young
    There's places in the UK without mobile coverage? It's only the size of a postage stamp.

Depends on what network you're on and where you are.